News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 836     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 798     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I wonder how much business the Milton extension to Cambridge would do?

About as much as the Richmond Hill extension to Bloomington.

Ridership has nothing to do with how GO stations get built. MP politics do.

Unfortunately whoever is reigning over Cambridge just doesn't have the right friends at Parliament.

Cambridge to Milton is much like Bowmanville to Oshawa.....the riders are already there, they just get on a little closer to Toronto. The question is, when will it be desirable to board them in Cambridge and take their cars off the 401 over the Escarpment. With the 401 just getting widened, that's still a little bit away. And Cambridge is not ready to develop intensively, so 2WAD is a fair ways off.

We will see expansion to Cambridge eventually, but the amount of track construction to get there is just not affordable on top of what else is being built right now. Once Barrie, Stouffville, and Bowmanville are done, Cambridge will follow.

- Paul

About as much as the Richmond Hill extension to Bloomington.

Ridership has nothing to do with how GO stations get built. MP politics do.

Unfortunately whoever is reigning over Cambridge just doesn't have the right friends at Parliament.
I can tell the mayor of cambridge just pissed off people in the government

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/7309947-mayor-unhappy-cambridge-s-go-train-hopes-seem-stalled/
Cambridge to Milton is much like Bowmanville to Oshawa.....the riders are already there, they just get on a little closer to Toronto. The question is, when will it be desirable to board them in Cambridge and take their cars off the 401 over the Escarpment. With the 401 just getting widened, that's still a little bit away. And Cambridge is not ready to develop intensively, so 2WAD is a fair ways off.

We will see expansion to Cambridge eventually, but the amount of track construction to get there is just not affordable on top of what else is being built right now. Once Barrie, Stouffville, and Bowmanville are done, Cambridge will follow.

- Paul
@crs1026 any updates on brampton?

Isn't the biggest blocker to Cambridge trains all the folks in Mississauga who will be standing all the way to Toronto because their seats are gone and there are no additional trains possible without crossing CPR's palm with much silver?

Isn't the biggest blocker to Cambridge trains all the folks in Mississauga who will be standing all the way to Toronto because their seats are gone and there are no additional trains possible without crossing CPR's palm with much silver?
The Big Blocker is CP allowing GO access to/from Cambridge in the first place. The lack of double track is the issue and not sure what remains where GO Store trains at Guelph Junction. Milton is 2-3 track to allow CP to house a train in each direction until Cambridge GO train arrives going to Toronto or allow the westbound train to pass them.

You still need another GO train in each direction and no indication at this time if CP will allow it to happen.

Who is every in power come July 2018, time to set down with CP to draw up an action plan how to 4 track the Milton Line and double track the Cambridge section, considering the 3rd track was to be in place by 2011 and 4 track by 2021/22.

any updates on brampton?

Nope. Critical path remains: reach a deal with CN.

I would love to know more about Ontario's pitch for the new Amazon HQ. If, as reported, Ontario is pitching the strength of its tech sector, one would think that high quality transportation to KW would be one of the selling points. Just as the Pan Am Games pitch sealed the deal for some GO improvements, and spawned UPE, I'd bet that Ontario will have to put its money where its mouth is should GTA make it to the short list. That might bode well for KW GO service and even HSR. Of course, that would just encourage CN to raise its price.

- Paul

This (and no personal offense to you, because you are just restating what officials say) is such a cognitive dissonance within what Metrolinx and others are saying about the train to Cambridge.

"There isn't the ridership to warrant spending the money for the infrastructure for a train to cambridge!"

Ok then just one train a day

"The people in Milton will not be able to get on and will be standing because of all the seats taken by the excess ridership from Cambridge!"

Either there is ridership or not, you can't just keep changing it to suit your argument.

Interesting. Those are certainly candid and extreme comments to make, and no question there's huge benefit. Raise the platforms, have segmented services, use of both bay platforms and through platforms, and widen platforms (at the expense of others). For awhile I've been thinking about the benefit of a level waiting/platform area for some of the northernmost platforms, using this "bay" style setup east and west of there.

Interesting. Those are certainly candid and extreme comments to make, and no question there's huge benefit. Raise the platforms, have segmented services, use of both bay platforms and through platforms, and widen platforms (at the expense of others). For awhile I've been thinking about the benefit of a level waiting/platform area for some of the northernmost platforms, using this "bay" style setup east and west of there.

Just to be clear, a "Bay" platform is for a dead-end track?

High platforms means new equipment, and potentially high platforms in other stations....and/or equipment with doors on two levels. That has to be a long term plan. I wonder which route would go first.

I wonder what impact that would have on the trainshed. All we need is a dark, dingy station with lower roof. Maybe it's an opportunity to get the whole thing right.

Frankly, with the stance they take on other things, I'm surprised that Transport Canada hasn't intervened on some of the very narrow stretches of platform. In the day, the far ends of platforms were not used for passenger boarding the way they are today.

- Paul

Back