News   Jul 11, 2024
 5.2K     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 803     5 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 774     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I agree. I do not believe that EG should be closed. It will continue to serve that area very well, including future subdivisions being built in Queensville and whatever comes along Green Lane.

As you mentioned, Newmarket GO's ridership is currently constrained by the parking. Lots of current riders simply drive to Aurora or EG instead. Metrolinx should look at expropriating the Tannery Mall (and perhaps the land to the west of the tracks), or entering into some type of partnership, which will net them a parking garage and maybe some commercial/retail/residential development if they're creative (similar to plans at Port Credit).
In addition to a parking garage, there should be access to the station from Main Street, would it be a parking lot and/or vehicle overpass.

My opinion is that eventually the Newmarket station will close in favour of just operating out of East Gwillimbury and Mulock. I understand GO has had a rocky relationship with the owner of the Tannery Mall.

What a terrible idea. Close the station that is surrounded by people, jobs, is zoned for density, and which is connected to a brand new Rapidway? And instead only operate the station that is currently surrounded by nothing but parking, and is due to be surrounded by nothing but more low density subdivisions.

Yes, this is logical. Grade separate Davis, add a second platform with a pedestrian bridge/tunnel, close East Gwillimbury, and don’t build Mulock. Then build a Vivastation under/above the station with stairs and elevator(s) to the platform. I have no ideal why Metrolinx want to close Newmarket GO, just buy than land around the station and build a parking structure.

Isn't East Gwillimbury's ridership vastly higher than Newmarket's? Aren't an estimated significant percentage of Aurora GO's riders people who drive down from Newmarket who are predicted to use Mulock GO if it's built, relieving pressure at Aurora GO which is way over parking capacity? What possible sense does it make to close a very well-used GO station, not build another that's projected to have good ridership and allow more riders to use Aurora, force tons of people into cars and put them on the 404/DVP/Toronto local streets, and create tons of added GHG emissions, all for some improvements to a barely-used station?

I agree that they should expropriate the Tannery Mall, build a parking structure, and potentially not build Mulock, since a parking structure at Newmarket will take care of most of the reasons Mulock is desirable and Mulock's site is constrained by several physical size constraints and environmental factors. East Gwillimbury absolutely cannot be closed.

I agree. I do not believe that EG should be closed. It will continue to serve that area very well, including future subdivisions being built in Queensville and whatever comes along Green Lane.

As you mentioned, Newmarket GO's ridership is currently constrained by the parking. Lots of current riders simply drive to Aurora or EG instead. Metrolinx should look at expropriating the Tannery Mall (and perhaps the land to the west of the tracks), or entering into some type of partnership, which will net them a parking garage and maybe some commercial/retail/residential development if they're creative (similar to plans at Port Credit).
In addition to a parking garage, there should be access to the station from Main Street, would it be a parking lot and/or vehicle overpass.
Maybe the owners of the Tannery Mall are charging too much for the land. I don't think they even have to expropriate the mall, just buy the land on the other side of the tracks and get the tunnel and second track in there.

What a terrible idea. Close the station that is surrounded by people, jobs, is zoned for density, and which is connected to a brand new Rapidway? And instead only operate the station that is currently surrounded by nothing but parking, and is due to be surrounded by nothing but more low density subdivisions.

Perhaps considering this line will be fully electrified and double tracked, we should keep all of these stations open to give people options, and invest in some high acceleration EMU units and proper PTC signalling on the line so that we can have many station stops but not worry about them causing much of an impact on travel time. If a train can accelerate and stop quickly, and stop quickly at the station, the affect is greatly minimized.

You could also have passing tracks along with the double tracking and have every other train stop at alternate stations.

So one trainset does Spadina -> York U -> Rutherford and the following train does Union -> Downsview Park -> Concord GO.

Etc etc.

This RER - Barrie line has been redesigned. Looks like it's the only page (out of all GO lines) to be redesigned with the new Metrolinx colour/theme.
Key addition is the inclusion of all planned stations along the line:
RER_Barrie_Map.png

I still see York University there. Kirby is there too, despite all the surrounding drama.
Of course, the expected completion date is XXXX.

Just a nice image that shows these new stations to scale, so you get a sense of where they are in relationship to each other.

0wjPlYi.png

Just a nice image that shows these new stations to scale, so you get a sense of where they are in relationship to each other.

0wjPlYi.png

Out of which report did you get that map? I'm wondering why it shows a GO Line between Mount Dennis and "Matheson/Airport Corporate Centre"?

Back