News   Jul 17, 2024
 559     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 645     0 

Globe: Second NHL Team for Toronto?

Does anyone in the Southern United States even care about hockey? Like, at all?

EDIT: What about pulling a football(soccer) name? As in, don't name it. Just Toronto, or maybe Toronto Hockey Club, or something.

That wouldn't be..um..."aggressive" enough for hockey and too "pussy European" or some such swill. Or not "traditional" enough, not giving your team a completely retarded name. (Penguins! Hurricanes! Ice! Lightning! oooooh my!)

North American team names have been making me laugh since I became cognisant of them.

PS: What I'm trying to say is I love your idea. :)

Penguins makes sense because Penguins live in Antarctica. If anything Maple Leafs (sp?) is a poor name.

Soccer clubs have nicknames as well, they just aren't necessarily official. I'm sure in your eyes, some of them would be just has dumb, if not worse: Toffees, Hammers, Gunners, Villains, The Yellow Canaries, Bianconeri, The All Whites, Orange, Gers... and so on.
Can we forget about this whole nickname business? honestly, who cares?

Soccer clubs have nicknames as well, they just aren't necessarily official. I'm sure in your eyes, some of them would be just has dumb, if not worse: Toffees, Hammers, Gunners, Villains, The Yellow Canaries, Bianconeri, The All Whites, Orange, Gers... and so on.
Can we forget about this whole nickname business? honestly, who cares?

Yes, I know.

Them not being official names is a big difference, for one.

Also, a lot of those nicknames are related to the club's crest, colours, town and such and weren't created by a marketing department.

I care.

It actually has a lot to do with how a sport is enjoyed and perceived. Business people and marketing strategies creating identities for sports teams doesn't lend itself to character, history, nor an organic, supporter-led establishment of a team.

NHL teams being referred to as franchises and their enjoyment being referred to as consuming by consumers (fans and supporters) is kind of sad.

But anyway, who cares? :p

I have an idea - as this is Highway 427 and Highway 7, you could move the Nashville Predators to this sprawhole location and not have to change anything, saving megabucks. After all, it's adjacent to Nashville. I don't think that many people in Nashville, TN would notice either.

Yes, I know.

Them not being official names is a big difference, for one.

Also, a lot of those nicknames are related to the club's crest, colours, town and such and weren't created by a marketing department.

I care.

It actually has a lot to do with how a sport is enjoyed and perceived. Business people and marketing strategies creating identities for sports teams doesn't lend itself to character, history, nor an organic, supporter-led establishment of a team.

NHL teams being referred to as franchises and their enjoyment being referred to as consuming by consumers (fans and supporters) is kind of sad.

But anyway, who cares? :p

I agree that it's a shame, and natural nicknames are far better, but what I mean is that a name is just that. I don't think anyone thinks of "Penguins" or "Leafs" in the literal way when they think about Pittsburgh or Toronto. I know I don't. I think it becomes a word stripped of its typical meaning in North America, and whether you name the team the Toffees or the Super Dangerous Wildcats, it won't change the image of the team or have any impact whatsoever on fans.

I guess ultimately right now there's no point naming a team that doesn't exist yet, and if they ever do exist, whatever they name them, it won't matter.

I agree that it's a shame, and natural nicknames are far better, but what I mean is that a name is just that. I don't think anyone thinks of "Penguins" or "Leafs" in the literal way when they think about Pittsburgh or Toronto. I know I don't. I think it becomes a word stripped of its typical meaning in North America, and whether you name the team the Toffees or the Super Dangerous Wildcats, it won't change the image of the team or have any impact whatsoever on fans.

I guess ultimately right now there's no point naming a team that doesn't exist yet, and if they ever do exist, whatever they name them, it won't matter.

Not just names, either! The crests are equally tiresome. :)

You're right that it won't have any bearing on whether supporters and fans that have an interest will develop an attachment but, for me, personally, it makes it hard to take such a sport/league too seriously.
I mean, it all takes "bread and circuses" to a ridiculous new level.

I don't know....maybe my birth certificate lies.

Not just names, either! The crests are equally tiresome. :)

What if it were the Toronto Subgenii?

bob_dobbs.jpg

Now, *there's* an un-tiresome crest for you.

uhh once again, thank you for that fantastic contribution Adma. This place would be nothing without your contributions.

Anyways, back on topic, not sure if any of you read the HFboards (which is essentially the top hockey forum in the world) but they have quite a few in depth threads about this issue. If this topic is something that really interests you I would consider perusing this section: http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124 and taking a look at the various threads that are ongoing.

I would not put another team in toronto, no matter what.

Instead I would put a team in Hamilton.

I also want to see a team back in Winnipeg and in Quebec City.

Some southern US cities do not deserve teams, IMO... no offense to anyone.

Back