News   Jul 17, 2024
 536     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 634     0 

Globe: Second NHL Team for Toronto?

Some southern US cities do not deserve teams, IMO... no offense to anyone.

Not to worry--I think it's generally accepted here that most suthun teams should be put out of their misery. Many people here would probably like to see another team in TO, one in Hamilton, one in KW, and teams brought back to Winnipeg and Quebec City besides. And maybe one in Halifax to give the Bruins competition for the New England/Maritimes market.

Not to worry--I think it's generally accepted here that most suthun teams should be put out of their misery. Many people here would probably like to see another team in TO, one in Hamilton, one in KW, and teams brought back to Winnipeg and Quebec City besides. And maybe one in Halifax to give the Bruins competition for the New England/Maritimes market.

Would Winnipeg and Quebec City really be able to support a team? They have proven before that they cant, and then there is Halifax of all the places, a small market city that cant even support a CFL team.

^ Well we don't know if they can support a CFL team because there's never been one there. We could say the same thing about a lot of places that probably could support a cfl team if someone wanted to pony up the bucks to get one there. Just for some reason (maybe they've done the market analysis, I don't know) no one has ever brought a team out there. It'll happen one day I think, same with Quebec City (football in Quebec is huge). Just a matter of time and the right person to come along, unless some sort of community ownership structure was put in place a la Green bay.

As for whether Winnipeg or Quebec City could ever have their NHL teams back. It was never a case that the fan base wasn't there. The problem lies in the corporate support. Whether we like it or not, teams don't need fans, they just need corporations to buy boxes and tickets and sponsorships in order to remain healthy. That's why it is absurd that Bettman doesn't want Balsillie around. The connections that man has in the business world would immediately make him the most connected owner in the NHL. Corporations would love to get in on anything he does, and in any areas where they don't then RIM just steps in.

The problem in places like Nashville and Phoenix is that they have no corporate support (and at least in Phoenix's case, no fans, and a horrible arena location/deal). And the reason why the Canadiens and the Leafs do so well is because they have corporations begging to be involved and willing to pay whatever it takes to get them in there. In order for Winnipeg and Quebec City (or any other city, Canadian or American) to realistically have a chance at a team they or the potential owner need to prove they have far more than a fan base.

Another Team in Toronto? Maybe on top of a Hamilton Team, a Mississauga team would do well. When the region grows a bit more, a Kitchener/Waterloo team could be possible too.

A lot of cities in the southern US have tried their part at Monopolizing the NHL, and I think that it's (fortunately) not taking so well. I'd definitely like to see more Canadian teams than US teams, especially southern US teams where it's not possible to play Hockey without an indoor rink.

RIM's Balsillie in bid to bring NHL Coyotes to Ontario

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/629536

May 05, 2009 07:24 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

BlackBerry boss Jim Balsillie is looking to buy the financially ailing Phoenix Coyotes and bring them to Southern Ontario.

The co-CEO of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion says his $212.5-million (U.S.) offer is conditional on moving the Coyotes north of the border.

"The current team ownership asked that I table an offer to purchase the Coyotes and significant discussions resulted in an offer that is in the best interests of the franchise, the NHL, and the great hockey fans of Canada and Southern Ontario," Balsillie said in a statement Tuesday.

"I am excited to move closer to bringing an NHL franchise to what I believe is one of the best un-served hockey markets in the world – Southern Ontario. A market with devoted hockey fans, a rich hockey history, a growing and diversified economy and a population of more than seven million people."

At the request of the Coyotes franchise owner, Balsillie said he has also agreed to provide $17 million (U.S.) in bridge financing to allow the franchise to keep going in advance of the sale.

This is Bettman chance to prove he's not anti-Canadian.
Bringing a hockey team to Ontario or elsewhere in Canada is good for:

The team (playing in an empty arena is boring)
For the NHL (over 40% of the revenue are from the 6 Canadian teams)
For the fans (Phoenix fans doesn't care, we care)

or will he try to save a sinking ship like Phoenix and move them to Las vegas or Kansas City

It was announced an hour ago on the Fan 590 that Balsillie placed a bid to buy the Coyotes on the condition that he'd be able to move the team to southern Ontario.

Not really Toronto related, but Alexander Medvedev (russian, who founded the KHL) who is one of the richest people in the world has been in talks with a number of NHL teams about purchasing and moving whatever team he decided to buy to Canada (probably Quebec City or Winnipeg). Two interesting things here: 1. the guy has so much money that he could basically buy the entire league if he wanted. 2. He's caused the NHL a lot of problems with not just the upstart KHL, but he's been at the centre of the transfer issue. Essentially, there was a blanket fee that NHL teams would pay European clubs.leagues for the rights to their players. These fees were well under market value, and the Russians called them on it when the agreement was up a couple years ago and have been against negotiating a blanket fee. Since then a couple other big hockey countries like Sweden have followed.

It'll be interesting to see what the NHL's board of governors has to say about each of these potential buyers. I think the owners are fed up with the wy Bettman has handled things, and this could be the tipping point. Never before has so much money and clout wanted into this league, and there are so many owners who want out, that it just seems like its inevitable.

It should make for a really interesting summer at the very least.

NHL takes control of Coyotes, Balsillie steps in with offer

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/629536

May 05, 2009 09:50 PM
Kevin McGran
Sports Reporter

The NHL took control of the Phoenix Coyotes on Tuesday evening, removing owner Jerry Moyes from all positions of authority and seems set to challenge the very notion that the troubled NHL franchise is bankrupt.

While all this was going on, Canadian billionaire BlackBerry boss Jim Balsillie admitted he has put in an offer to buy the cash-strapped Coyotes and move them to Southern Ontario after the Coyotes filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Balsillie was swarmed by reporters, where he was appearing at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, and took some questions about his $212.5 million (U.S.) offer.

However, he would not comment on which city he would move the franchise to if he were successful.

"There's more to unfold on this," he said, adding that the bankruptcy process has to go through the U.S. courts.

He added that his offer is "firm" and he's "enormously excited" about the opportunity to bring a seventh NHL team to Canada.

"I believe this is a serious commitment," he told reporters.

Balsillie said he made the offer on Tuesday.

Balsillie is looking for help in his bid to establish a seventh Canadian NHL team. He's asking fans who want to see a seventh NHL franchise in Canada to make their voices heard. He's asking fans to log on to www.makeitseven.ca to add their voices to his bid.

The NHL, which has blocked Balsillie in the past to move an NHL team to Canada, made a statement following the bankruptcy hearing.

"We have just become aware of today's Bankruptcy Court filing purportedly made on behalf of the Phoenix Coyotes," said NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly. "We are investigating the circumstances surrounding the petition, including the propriety of its filing.

"We have removed Jerry Moyes from all positions of authority to act for or on behalf of the club. The League will appear and proceed before the Bankruptcy Court in the best interests of all of the club's constituencies, including its fans in Arizona and the League's 29 other member clubs."

Last week the league denied it was in control of the team, despite assertions from Glendale city manager Ed Beasley the league was running the show. The league had forwarded millions of dollars to help the team pay its rent and meet its payroll.

The league also said last week it expected the Coyotes to operate in Phoenix next season.

But earlier Tuesday, in a bid to maximize the value of team, the franchise filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

The league remains worried that Balsillie could purchase the team and move it to Ontario.

The co-CEO of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion said that his offer is conditional on the Coyotes relocating to Canada, where they existed as the Winnipeg Jets before moving to Phoenix for the 1996-97 season.

The filing included the proposed sale of the franchise to PSE Sports & Entertainment, LP, a Delaware limited partnership, which would move the franchise to southern Ontario. The Star has learned that PSE Sports and Entertainment is backed by Balsillie.

"Extensive efforts have been undertaken to sell the team, or attract additional investors, who would keep the team in Glendale," Moyes said in a news release before being relieved of his duties as the Coyotes chief executive officer.

"Creating a process under the supervision of a judge assures that anyone wishing to purchase the team will have the opportunity to bid.

"Likewise, the City of Glendale, which has been very cooperative with efforts to keep the team in Glendale, will be able to provide potential buyers assurances of the city's willingness to offer incentives to keep the team as a tenant in the Jobing.com arena, the lease for which is subject to rejection in bankruptcy. The process assures that the identities of the new owner and the team's location will be known by June 30, 2009, thus enabling the NHL to include the team in its 2009-10 schedule."

Balsillie had made previous failed attempts to purchase the Nashville Predators and Pittsburgh Penguins with the hope of moving them to Hamilton.

"The current team ownership asked that I table an offer to purchase the Coyotes and significant discussions resulted in an offer that is in the best interests of the franchise, the NHL, and the great hockey fans of Canada and Southern Ontario," Balsillie said in a statement.

"I am excited to move closer to bringing an NHL franchise to what I believe is one of the best unserved hockey markets in the world - Southern Ontario. A market with devoted hockey fans, a rich hockey history, a growing and diversified economy and a population of more than seven million people."

At the request of the Coyotes ownership, Balsillie said he has also agreed to provide $17 million in financing to allow the franchise to keep going in advance of the sale.

Balsillie's offer does not guarantee that the Coyotes will move.

"If others want to come in and there's an offer that is deemed better by the courts, then ultimately that would be a court decision," said Steve Roman, a spokesman for Moyes. "As I understand it, the hope and the plan is that all of this would be dealt with by June 30, 2009. You have a person who has a purchase agreement, but at the same time there could be other players who want to get involved."

In March, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said the financially struggling Coyotes were actively seeking investors or possibly new ownership, but reiterated that the team won't be relocated.

"Our goal is to bring in new capital and make this franchise solvent," Bettman said on March 26 while attending a Coyotes home game. "That's our direction, and at this point moving the franchise elsewhere is not on the table."

With files from Associated Press

It will be interesting to see what Bettman will do.

I hope the other governors comes to their senses

I think and hope Hamilton gets it. Hamilton is a much better choice than Vaughan (shudder).

1.) There is an entire cottage industry dedicated to fanning rumors of an imminent NHL franchise relocation to Canada. Brunt & Shoalts, I'm looking at you. Any hint that a sunbelt team is having financial difficulties gives these people an excuse to start a new round of hypothesizing about how an NHL team in Hamilton or Winnipeg would totally kick ass.

2.) Gary Bettman is not Satan. He is not some anti-Canadian hate monger. This is the same person who propped up Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa during the 90's when our dollar was worthless. Clearly he isn't on a vendetta to eliminate hockey in Canada.

3.) Winnipeg is not getting an NHL team, ever. It just doesn't make sense. Hamilton probably wouldn't make sense on it's own merits, having to rely on sorely upset Leafs fans streaming in from Mississauga and Etobicoke. Please, no more comments to the effect of "omg Winnipeg totally needs an NHL team, anyone who doesn't see why this is a good idea is totally anti-Canadian and/or Garry Bettman."

4.) What about Seattle? To my knowledge they are the biggest American city without all four major league sports. Definitely seems more natural than, ohh, Nashville. If the NHL were serious this would take priority over just about any Canadian team outside of a Toronto expansion (though the legal hurdles of resolving TML's territoriality could make anywhere look good by comparison).

5.) Balsillie is an idiot. I mean that in the best possible way, but I have difficulty believing this is anything more than a publicity play on the perpetual sense of Canadian victim hood. I can just picture some dolt at the Rogers store viewing an IPhone as the Garry Bettman of telecommunications and opting for a Berry instead. There is no way, none, that any of these sunbelt teams are worth 200+ million USD plus the ancillary costs involved in relocation. I guess tech moguls grossly overpaying for sports teams as ego projects isn't exactly new, but I wonder.

I still hope we get another NHL team, but I can't help but feel we have heard this story before.

Isn't LA the largest city without all four major leagues? (Assuming we're not counting MLS). Houston might come in second, as it doesn't have NHL either, though I wouldn't advocate that. Though Seattle could make sense. I really believe though that Southern Ontario is really underserved and would make one of the few sure-fire successes.

Last edited:
It seems according to the Gazette, that the NHLPA will get involve in this. Since their salary is affected by the NHL revenue, the players wont stand for Bettman's foolish decisions to let a team rot in the desert or to move them to US market that doesnt care about hockey.

1.) There is an entire cottage industry dedicated to fanning rumors of an imminent NHL franchise relocation to Canada. Brunt & Shoalts, I'm looking at you. Any hint that a sunbelt team is having financial difficulties gives these people an excuse to start a new round of hypothesizing about how an NHL team in Hamilton or Winnipeg would totally kick ass.

2.) Gary Bettman is not Satan. He is not some anti-Canadian hate monger. This is the same person who propped up Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa during the 90's when our dollar was worthless. Clearly he isn't on a vendetta to eliminate hockey in Canada.

3.) Winnipeg is not getting an NHL team, ever. It just doesn't make sense. Hamilton probably wouldn't make sense on it's own merits, having to rely on sorely upset Leafs fans streaming in from Mississauga and Etobicoke. Please, no more comments to the effect of "omg Winnipeg totally needs an NHL team, anyone who doesn't see why this is a good idea is totally anti-Canadian and/or Garry Bettman."

4.) What about Seattle? To my knowledge they are the biggest American city without all four major league sports. Definitely seems more natural than, ohh, Nashville. If the NHL were serious this would take priority over just about any Canadian team outside of a Toronto expansion (though the legal hurdles of resolving TML's territoriality could make anywhere look good by comparison).

5.) Balsillie is an idiot. I mean that in the best possible way, but I have difficulty believing this is anything more than a publicity play on the perpetual sense of Canadian victim hood. I can just picture some dolt at the Rogers store viewing an IPhone as the Garry Bettman of telecommunications and opting for a Berry instead. There is no way, none, that any of these sunbelt teams are worth 200+ million USD plus the ancillary costs involved in relocation. I guess tech moguls grossly overpaying for sports teams as ego projects isn't exactly new, but I wonder.

I still hope we get another NHL team, but I can't help but feel we have heard this story before.
1. Honestly, I trust Brunt more than any sports writer in the world (not kidding). I pay a lot of attention to the business side of sports, and he's always on the ball. Rarely ever does he go beyond what is realistic. Shoalts isn't great but he's been doing a good job drilling down all the problems in Phoenix (including the fact they don't even own their own office equipment. It's all on a lease they haven't paid in months, and no one from Staples has come to pick it up yet)

2. I agree totally. People forget about the troubles that Canadian teams had before the lockout.

3. I agree, but if Winnipeg was actually a growing market instead of a stagnant one, I'd say they'd be as good a place as any. I think they would need one of two things. First, an owner with really deep pockets (like Balsillie) who wouldn't be worried about making huge profits. A team in Winnipeg could make a profit, but it would be minimal and wouldn't be comparable to the Leafs or Canadiens. Second, who knows what state the league will be in in a couple years. If this is the beginning of the end for the Southern teams, does the league have enough good markets available to drop those teams in? They certainly won't contract.

4. Seattle might be the biggest hockey market in the US without a team. From what I've been told by friends in Vancouver, there are a lot of Washington state hockey fans who support junior hockey and make the drive up to Canucks games. So there's an option there.

5. I think the opposite of him. I think he's calling out the NHL and showing it for what it is. He's purposely going over the top (what's an extra 30million to him?) to make it so that way the league can't find a better suitor for the team. He knows the team isn't worth $200+million in Phoenix but if it's in the Toronto area it immediately jumps that high if not higher. Ya maybe there's some ego there, but I think Bettman and the NHL has a greater ego based on how they've been stubborn about these southern markets and Balsillie.

Isn't LA the largest city without all four major leagues? (Assuming we're not counting MLS). Houston might come in second, as it doesn't have NHL either, though I wouldn't advocate that. Though Seattle could make sense. I really believe though that Southern Ontario is really underserved and would make one of the few sure-fire successes.
Ya, Los Angeles doesn't have a football team despite having two 15 years ago. Strange eh? Houston just doesn't have hockey, and Seattle just doesn't have basketball anymore.

It seems according to the Gazette, that the NHLPA will get involve in this. Since their salary is affected by the NHL revenue, the players wont stand for Bettman's foolish decisions to let a team rot in the desert or to move them to US market that doesnt care about hockey.
This could be huge. The NHLPA is sick and tired of seeing the league's revenue drained by these unprofitable teams, because salaries are linked to league revenue. This will be next war. We're going to see the relationship between the NHL and the NHLPA get severely worse if something doesn't change soon. Also, who knows how much support Balsille has from other owners in the NHL. Owners aren't allowed to talk to the media about this, so there could be growing support behind the scenes, especially since successful teams are writing cheques to keep these floundering teams afloat.

Back