News   Jul 17, 2024
 563     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 647     0 

Globe: Second NHL Team for Toronto?

Let me think how many games I would go to?.......that would be zero! I am a Leaf fan...have been since I came to this country 37 years ago....have absolutely no interest in cheering for another team (whether they be in Toronto, Vaughan, Edmonton or timbuktu).....why, just because tickets were more readily available, would I all of a sudden switch allegiances and start cheering for some other team?

What:confused: would you not support your Leaf team (4 games) when playing out-of-town against the Vaughan Phantoms.:D

Why not call the team the York Region Romans (apropos Vaughan's Italian heritage *and* one of Markham's erstwhile First Families)

The Ottawa Senators have stolen the Roman theme a long time ago.

The Toronto "The Goods"?
Bring back the Toronto St. Patricks or maybe The Arenas? (does MLSE own these names?)

I dunno, as long as we don't name it something juvenile like "Predators" or "Wolverines" I would be happy. "Bagels". "Toronto Bagels."

EDIT: What about pulling a football(soccer) name? As in, don't name it. Just Toronto, or maybe Toronto Hockey Club, or something.

Last edited:
Maybe it should be the "Ontario somethings", along the lines of how New Jersey, Colorado, Minnesota, Florida and Carolina are named for states, rather than cities.

That would be against league rules.

Sorry I'm not familiar with NHL rules. Why would they even have a rule like that? How often are there two teams in one city? Why would they have to have different owners anyway?

Sorry I'm not familiar with NHL rules. Why would they even have a rule like that? How often are there two teams in one city? Why would they have to have different owners anyway?

because say for instance th two teams were facing each other in the conference finals, the owner could rig which team would win or lose.

because say for instance th two teams were facing each other in the conference finals, the owner could rig which team would win or lose.

well...the players are not automata. they have pride. doubt anything like that will happen, but you are right - people would likely suspect something simply based on the situation.

Sounds like a remote possibility

I own two teams........one is crap but has the best individual player in the league........the other is good but one player away from being a championship calibre team......trade deadline approaches....where do you think my good player from my bad team ends up?

Every sport in the world has ownership rules.......they are just common sense rules to protect the sporting integrity.

It is not just about owning two teams in the same city......MLSE could not buy another team in the NHL even if they planned to operate in North Bay, Green Bay or Hudson Bay.

Coyotes deny report that NHL is in control

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/626883

http://www.thestar.com/Article/626674

If bettman wants to prove he's not anti-canadian, he should move that team :

1-Winnipeg

2-GTA (I would prefer North York in the Downsview Area)

3-Quebec

I wish he would have put as much efforts to save the Jets or the Nordiques then he's doing with the Coyotes.

Hockey in the middle of the desert...What a joke

Back