News   Apr 19, 2024
 658     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 634     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Dundas St Rapid Transit (Metrolinx, Mississauga, Halton Region, CoT)

Oakville is growing very, very quickly along Dundas right now, so I could see demand picking up. But yes, right now it is only needed to U of T Mississauga.

Perfect! I'm certain that premier Ford will jump at the first opportunity to fully fund this urban transit project!

Perfect! I'm certain that premier Ford will jump at the first opportunity to fully fund this urban transit project!

Don’t show him this planning map with a subway under Dundas... you know the motto “subways subways subways”.

i7OTBnS.png

Don’t show him this planning map with a subway under Dundas... you know the motto “subways subways subways”.

i7OTBnS.png

Why are people obsessed with building subways to the suburbs?

Why would you build a subway along the CP corridor, when you could add more GO tracks and build GO-RER in the same space.

If I had my choice, coming from Cooksville, I would much rather ride a 4 stop electric GO train going 120km/h into Toronto (or Kipling) than a 60km/h subway that would make a bajillion stops along Line 2, and have to transfer to Line 1 to get to downtown.

Typical GTA/Toronto "blinders on, fingers in our ears" transit planning that only looks inward at our own system and at the past.

No regard for what other world class cities are doing, and what technologies exist outside our backyard, AND what is actually already being built in the future, RIGHT HERE (GO-RER)

Dumb.

You are welcome to attend the PDC meeting, which will be as follows:

Date: April 30, 2018

Time: 7:00 PM

Why would you build a subway along the CP corridor, when you could add more GO tracks and build GO-RER in the same space.

If I had my choice, coming from Cooksville, I would much rather ride a 4 stop electric GO train going 120km/h into Toronto (or Kipling) than a 60km/h subway that would make a bajillion stops along Line 2, and have to transfer to Line 1 to get to downtown.

Typical GTA/Toronto "blinders on, fingers in our ears" transit planning that only looks inward at our own system and at the past.

No regard for what other world class cities are doing, and what technologies exist outside our backyard, AND what is actually already being built in the future, RIGHT HERE (GO-RER)

Dumb.
It's because subways are the only good transit people have seen in Toronto. LRT lines (which can sometimes be faster than subways) don't exist in Toronto yet. RER (which is also faster than a subway) doesn't exist in Toronto yet. Also, fare integration is a big issue. If people actually saw how RER worked and fares were integrated, then people would want it.

RER on the Milton corridor requires CP to agree to re-route their freight mainline to a shared corridor with CN (a corridor which at this point is still just a concept). It's not likely to come to reality within the next 25 years.

A subway along that corridor requires CP to agree to sell/lease a portion of the corridor. It's much more likely to be doable. I still don't think it's a good idea, but I can see why it's conceptually attractive.

RER on the Milton corridor requires CP to agree to re-route their freight mainline to a shared corridor with CN (a corridor which at this point is still just a concept). It's not likely to come to reality within the next 25 years.

A subway along that corridor requires CP to agree to sell/lease a portion of the corridor. It's much more likely to be doable. I still don't think it's a good idea, but I can see why it's conceptually attractive.
No it doesn't. It requires 4 tracks in the corridor with a fly under at Humber River to go from the north side to the south side, as well CP allowing overhead on the 2 north tracks.

If the 2014 election platform for the Milton corridor had taken place, over 50% of rebuilding that corridor to 4 tracks would have been done by now.

Will never see a subway in CP corridor. Then, there is no ridership to support a subway to Dixie as plan, let alone to Cooksville. It will be worse than the plan STC subway extension; Sheppard East extension and the Yonge Extension.

Goes to Planning & Development on April 30. The site now has 3D for various intersections
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webscene/viewer.html
https://s3.ca-central-1.amazonaws.c...undas_Connects_Master_Plan_WEB.pdf?1521487312

Subject Dundas Connects Master Plan Recommendation
1. That the Dundas Connects Master Plan be endorsed as the recommended plan for the Dundas Corridor
2. That Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) be endorsed as the recommended rapid transit solution for the Dundas Corridor
3. That the first two phases of the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment process for the Dundas Corridor be concluded with a Notice of Completion
4. That staff be directed to consider revisions to Mississauga Official Plan and the Zoning By-Law to implement the recommendations contained within the Dundas Connects Master Plan, in particular the land use and urban design strategy contained therein
5. That upon completion of the Metrolinx planning study and business case for Dundas BRT already underway, Metrolinx be requested to fund implementation of Dundas BRT, including completion of the remaining steps of Environmental Assessment, in conjunction with Mississauga and other relevant jurisdictions
6. That the City of Toronto be requested to endorse the proposed BRT link between Kipling Station and the Mississauga border
7. That staff be directed to prepare a motion for Council’s consideration with respect to the City’s compliance with provincial legislation, in particular the Provincial Growth Plan, and the implications that the Dundas Connects Master Plan has for growth allocations stemming from that Growth Plan

https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/committees/pdc/2018/2018_04_30_PDC_Agenda.pdf

Dumb.

If there's a way to do it cheaply, it wouldn't be a terrible extension. Better value for money than the TYSSE north of steeles. The milton corridor is almost exclusively for freight and the line is extremely overcrowded.

If there's a way to do it cheaply, it wouldn't be a terrible extension. Better value for money than the TYSSE north of steeles. The milton corridor is almost exclusively for freight and the line is extremely overcrowded.

I think it's more about CP's intransigence.

If the goal is to get rail to Square One, the best option IMO is to extend the Eglinton LRT along the Mississauga Transitway alignment. Rebuild the roadway to work with both LRT and buses. Run it along the Transitway to Square One, and then use the Square One Loop as a turnaround.

If the TTC is indeed looking at the old Obico yard for a new rail yard as is rumored on this forum, I imagine any extension would likely turn south and go through the yard before turning towards Sherway, much like Line 1 travels along the side of Wilson Yard as a part of the extension to Sheppard West.

Back