News   Apr 25, 2024
 117     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 314     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 507     0 

Dundas St Rapid Transit (Metrolinx, Mississauga, Halton Region, CoT)

RER and GO improve service is not going to do much to reduce ridership on Dundas as they are different service for everyone needs. The goal is to get more people to use transit and increase the density along the corridor

"IF" LRT does make it to Dundas, interlining is not in the picture as its supposed to be an operation issue. The number of cars on Dundas will be less than Hurontario as a train, but yes it can interline regardless what been said now.

People dreaming of having a subway on Dundas to Hurontario are dreaming with this report and it may happen when your great-great-great grandchild is born if density does increase by that time.

LRT and BRT only have the same capacity to a point, then LRT takes over to offer more. A BRT vehicle is only about 15 m long while an LRT can be 30-45 m as one car and can have a 2nd car added to it where an BRT can't.

The only way you can get BRT infrastructure to work for LRT is to have centre platforms with BRT vehicles with doors both sides. Again, do you need an ROW west of Hurontario to Burlington when ridership is not there now nor 20 years??

Its good that city hall in Mississauga have reflected the reality that the condo boom is pushing westward. Thanks to our lovely hydro prices and high property taxes light industrial is leaving either Ontario altogether or going further afield (e.g. Burlington). In Toronto you see both Dundas and the Queensway filled with condo construction and in the next 10 or so years it'll go right to the Mississauga border. Condo developers love the large blocks of land that are on both the Queensway and Dundas that continue through Mississauga to Cawthra. They can build 4+ towers on each plot which saves them a lot of money in staging of the site plus the sales office. I'm guessing it'll start in 5 years and then take off in 10-15 years in Mississauga along Dundas.

Hopefully by then there is BRT from Hurontario to Kipling to encourage transit use.

And then agreed...from Hurontario to Brant you probably only need cue jumping lanes at major intersections on the right hand side of the road (and not the right turn lane but real ones with dedicated lights)

Speaking of connects I assume it'll be in it's own right of way to connect with Kipling Station.
There is no plan what will happen in Toronto, since Toronto not at the table at this time.

Having an ROW on Dundas will only be for TTC airport bus since MT does drop and pickup riders at current TTC stops between Kipling and Cloverdale.

Dundas Connects materials are up from the most recent meetings. Looks like full BRT is the preferred choice.
DgAU1uK.png

mzVNBQv.png

CEzrd40.png

DDiJFv4.png

kC5jJ69.png

5UmpkNR.png

Last edited:
Only spent a short time there and still not happy they are still looking small for this corridor.

There is nothing happen as what the ROW will do in Toronto at this time as it will effect riders use inside Toronto to/from it.

A few things show up that haven't been noted in the past. One is a cover walkway from the top of the east hill to UoT campus and that going to be very costly.

The other will piss off residents on various streets as the plan calls for Cook St to Run from Dundas straight north to Sq One Station Gate Terminal. It would run through the current TL Kennedy School site which is to be redevelop, the centre of the Cooksville GO station under it, through the centre of Sq One Mall and using Joanne Dr that is currently dead end and part of a new condo approved for the area.

Everything west of Hurontario will be curb lanes express route due to pinch point in a few locations and in the centre as a ROW east of Hurontario.

Everyone is dreaming with rossy glasses thinking this ROW west of Hurontario is going to do great things all the way to Burlington sooner than later. They see low rise to mid rise west of Hurontario where the strip plazas are, but not going to happen for at least 40 plus years.

Its going to take 20 years or so for the east side since it has a better chance getting off the ground, but the city needs to rethink employment land use for the area east of Dixie as it is gone and has been gone for decades. You will see very little new employment buildings built along Dundas as the land is too expensive with the Queensway being the better choice.

Only BRT is being look at since this is an Metrolinx thing. BRT is only what you need west of Hurontario, but east will require an LRT in time.

I am not sure how they will manage to squeeze everything in at Dundas/Highway 10 without some serious expropriation to widen the ROW.

AoD

I am not sure how they will manage to squeeze everything in at Dundas/Highway 10 without some serious expropriation to widen the ROW.

AoD
No kidding. Not only there, all the way west to Mavis and Cawthra to the east

Time is at hand to keep 2 lanes for traffic, 2 lanes for transit, Wide Bike lanes as well wider sidewalks with green space. No right hand turning lanes with the removal of the island for turning.

I hate to see Dundas become Hwy 7 in York Region that requires 2 lights to cross it.

No kidding. Not only there, all the way west to Mavis and Cawthra to the east

Time is at hand to keep 2 lanes for traffic, 2 lanes for transit, Wide Bike lanes as well wider sidewalks with green space. No right hand turning lanes with the removal of the island for turning.

I hate to see Dundas become Hwy 7 in York Region that requires 2 lights to cross it.

It's also evident that they didn't want to talk about it much - given the complete absence of information on that stretch. But look Dixie and Cooksview!

AoD

Eyyy what do you know, anotherrrr map.
This is my interpretation of the Dundas BRT from Kipling Station with branches to Oakville GO Station, Burlington GO Station, and Waterdown.
I aped the design of the Metrolinx Hurontario and Finch plans to make it look as official as possible lol.
axFWYHg.jpg

Master Plan going to Mississauga's Planning and Development Committee (PDC) in November. This is the time to say anything good or bad about this line.

My view is anything thing west of Mavis doesn't require an ROW for at least 2 decades, as ridership is not there now or within 20 years to justify one. Need to get the City of Toronto on board now to allow the ROW to Kipling.

Back