News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 793     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Dundas St Rapid Transit (Metrolinx, Mississauga, Halton Region, CoT)

Perhaps I reading the drawings incorrectly, and/or there were some others I missed that showed something different; but when I look at the images above, the cycling facility is shown, to my read, as being as the same level as the sidewalk.
No, it's my mistake. I drew conclusions from the top-down render and some of the other comments. I didn't look closely enough at the other pictures.

The bike lane being raised above road level helps, and it's not a "gutter". It would surely be nice to have some extra horizontal separation as well, but this should be OK.

I don't see the problem, the cycle track is 2m wide with plenty of room for passing and a safety edge.

What impresses me most is that Metrolinx never sacrificed the bike infrastructure and bus lanes, even in tighter areas.

Imagine if the City of Mississauga was leading this implementation, they would succumb to nimby's within minutes.
No protected intersection. Why not do it if you have the space?

It does seem to be raised above traffic level. It does not seem to be leaving room for curbs (just my opinion) and I'm not sure whether I trust them to keep it snow-free during winter, or not to make it a gutter for cost savings. I would still prefer the pole zone to be between the road and the bike lanes.
Yes, exactly this. If this is anything like Viva then pretty much all the poles get moved anyways, and moving the cycle paths further away from the road is just better for cyclist comfort and safety, and is more conducive to protected intersections.

On Yonge after the Viva bus lanes and accompanying cycle tracks were built, even with the raised cycle track, pretty much everyone still rides on the sidewalk. Nobody is going to ride somewhere that feels dangerous and uncomfortable when there is a safer and more comfortable option 2m away. Being only 1-2m from fast moving cars does not feel safe for most people, and it’s also noisy and closer to car exhaust. IMO, if you built cycling infrastructure and most normal people are still using the sidewalk, that infrastructure is a failure.

Winter is also a huge thing. Any time you have sidewalks directly beside roads, they become completely impassable 1m piles of snow after significant snowfall since that’s where the road plows dump snow, often too much snow even for the plows to properly clear, and even a week later they’re usually still covered in a decent amount of snow. On a major arterial that effectively means it’s practically impassable for pedestrians for several days unless you want to walk in 70km/h traffic. The same applies to cycle tracks directly next to roads, as demonstrated by the aforementioned ones on Yonge which are currently impassable 1m piles of snow.

That said, If the utility poles aren’t being moved, that would be a valid reason for the current design… but I’m more inclined to think it’s like Viva (and Six Points, and the plan for Yonge in North York, and most other projects we’ve seen) and they just don’t care enough.

Edit: Note that even in the Cooksville section where the pole zone is in the proposed widening of the ROW and therefore obviously not the pre-existing pole zone, it’s still in the wrong place…

Last edited:
Most of what you said is fair except for this part:
On Yonge after the Viva bus lanes and accompanying cycle tracks were built, even with the raised cycle track, pretty much everyone still rides on the sidewalk. Nobody is going to ride somewhere that feels dangerous and uncomfortable when there is a safer and more comfortable option 2m away. Being only 1-2m from fast moving cars does not feel safe for most people, and it’s also noisy and closer to car exhaust. IMO, if you built cycling infrastructure and most normal people are still using the sidewalk, that infrastructure is a failure.
I have really only seen this on a large scale once, that being a few months after opening when the bike lanes weren't even open yet. Since then, most would typically use the bike lanes available - at least in broad daylight. The only exception would be at night when there's virtually nobody outside walking. I think the real issue on Yonge isn't that the infrastructure itself is bad or problematic (at least the sections with raise bike lanes), but rather the lack of pedestrian competition. Nobody really walks along Yonge, and as such cyclists just take all the space they want.

If they narrowed the traffic lanes from the overly wide 3.5 m to 3.0/3.3 like Toronto has been doing they'd have room for some separation between cars and bikes. As currently designed hardly anyone is going to use the bike lanes.

Maybe this is the line and the street that we could have named after Hazel. Replace one racist name with another one. Plus it goes by her bestie don cherrys house.

Maybe this is the line and the street that we could have named after Hazel. Replace one racist name with another one. Plus it goes by her bestie don cherrys house.
Nah, call it the Silly Line for all the silly posts prompted by that recent news.

In respect of the above. Full credit to @APTA-2048 who was first to post the story, in the MiWay Service thread:

A media report:

From whence I take this image:

1646420540777-png.383168

Underlying Federal News Release: https://pm.gc.ca/en/news/news-releases/2022/03/04/better-public-transit-mississauga

Last edited:
Mississauga needs the buses badly like 4 years ago. Still have 2003, 2005, 2006 that should been retired after 15 years with 2007 due this year. The 2003 bus was singing today and never have heard it sing this way before.

A full BRT from Kipling to Confederation is a must with express buses west of it.

Downside to these funding, Mississauga is still lacking funds to build a 3rd bus garage site for over 10 years and needs it to deal move to E buses in the coming years.

Looks like Dundas will become Hurontario come 2024 to 2027/28.

Time to rebuild 5/10 intersection with a major development site for the CIBC and the RBC site to support both corridors.

Text: Help shape our City. Dundas Corridor Policy Implementation. Image: Aerial view of City in purple

Join Us! Community Meeting on March 21, 2022​

Join us at a virtual community meeting on the Dundas Street Corridor. The first half of the public meeting will provide an update on the general implementation of the Dundas Connects Master Plan for the entire corridor. The second half will focus on lands east of Hurontario, specifically on Employment Area policies and flood mitigation studies and resulting policy updates.
Date: Monday, March 21, 2022
Time: 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Register here for the virtual community meeting!
See more information about the Dundas Corridor Policy Implementation Project here. Thank you for your participation!
Best,
Dundas Corridor Policy Implementation Project Team

Back