News   Mar 28, 2024
 463     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 312     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 329     0 

Downtown Markham

Asked my city councillor why east of DT Markham stays idling. Here is the answer:

Screenshot_2018-07-08-13-19-03.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-07-08-13-19-03.png
    Screenshot_2018-07-08-13-19-03.png
    222.6 KB · Views: 595
more follow up:

There are broad plans for the land as described in the Official Plan but nothing that is absolutely carved in stone.

The City is also working on a Secondary Plan for the area, which adds an additional level of planning detail.

So residential, commercial, retail uses are permitted but if another York University one off type use came along it would be considered.

If an auto repair garage was proposed for example, I don't think that would get too far.

Hope this helps!

more follow up:

There are broad plans for the land as described in the Official Plan but nothing that is absolutely carved in stone.

The City is also working on a Secondary Plan for the area, which adds an additional level of planning detail.

So residential, commercial, retail uses are permitted but if another York University one off type use came along it would be considered.

If an auto repair garage was proposed for example, I don't think that would get too far.

Hope this helps!
It does help thanks!

Yea, I do feel service will need to increase wildly over the upcoming years as DT Markham intensifies and as the York/Seneca campus opens up. As it is right now though the YRT and Viva buses are highly unreliable and as result either empty or packed to the brim. It's hilarious that the only way to go up and down McCowan is using the TTC which may or may not always be an option.

I'm not too sure about this. My experience is very anecdotal, but for both the green and pink lines that run through the area, they're well under capacity. (I took both for work commute until switching to GO a couple months back.) Service is about 5-10 min interval (between the 2 lines) during peak hours which isn't too bad, even to TTC level. Intervals were even less when purple line used to run through there as well, but that got diverted to hwy7 when construction was completed.

I hope it doesn't turn into the crime spot as entertainment district in DT Toronto

Assuming you are talking about shootings that is highly unlikely. Those "sewer vermin" travel far from where they live to rob places and people but even Markham is pretty out of their way. Also DT Markham will never be as dense as downtown Toronto and since we'll mainly see condos and plenty of cameras there will be a lot more deterrents for these sewer vermin to consider showing their faces.

Drug trafficking happens everywhere though. It's usually invisible to most folk, but it happens no matter what neighborhood you are in. The density of condos tends to encourage it and I'm certain it'll eventually proliferate as it does in any condo-dense neighbourhood(yonge/finch, yonge/eglinton, many downtown condos).

There a huge patio going up today in front of cafe demetres.

This place is insanely busy. Doesn't matter if it's a weekday or weekend night...this place is always packed.

The patio extends across the entire front of the restaurant and is huge

I really hope that Downtown Markham continues to add patios to restaurant space; from renderings, it looks like that's the way it's headed in Gallery Square. Outside of Main Street Markham and Main Street Unionville, Markham is pretty lacking in patio dining, which is a symptom of so many of our good restaurants being located in strip plazas.

Does anyone else think the carousel is such an abysmal waste of money? I mean, it sits there empty most of the time and they actually pay and staff a human being there to operate the thing.

Anyone else think we should partially privatize the thing by leasing it out or something?

My thinking was, they should fully enclose the building and lease it out as a restaurant while retaining ownership. Rides are free with a meal, but no purchase is necessary to ride the thing if you buy a ticket as is the case now. It's a win-win for both parties. The carousel attracts families to the restaurant, the resulting diners add vibrancy to the street as the carousel was initially intended.

The current setup of the carousel is just so ... underwhelming? It's a ghost town most of the time I drive by.

Does anyone else think the carousel is such an abysmal waste of money? I mean, it sits there empty most of the time and they actually pay and staff a human being there to operate the thing.

Anyone else think we should partially privatize the thing by leasing it out or something?

My thinking was, they should fully enclose the building and lease it out as a restaurant while retaining ownership. Rides are free with a meal, but no purchase is necessary to ride the thing if you buy a ticket as is the case now. It's a win-win for both parties. The carousel attracts families to the restaurant, the resulting diners add vibrancy to the street as the carousel was initially intended.

The current setup of the carousel is just so ... underwhelming? It's a ghost town most of the time I drive by.

The carousel was commissioned by Remington and they continue to own the land. That site will be redeveloped in the future and the carousel relocated to a different site. It is already privately owned and part of Remington's $25 million public art program for Downtown Markham.

Cacao70 is open for business. Went in a few nights ago, pretty cozy inside with about 6 small tables or so.

They're a chocolatier based out of Montreal, I've been to their downtown location @ Distillery, their menu is much smaller here. Mainly waffles/cones/ice cream and smoothie/frozen drinks seemed very similar to Demitri's but more on the go. Market pricing for the area, heh, $8 for a smoothie, $10+ for waffles+ice cream.

IMG_20180727_222937_01.jpg

IMG_20180727_223043.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180727_222937_01.jpg
    IMG_20180727_222937_01.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_20180727_223043.jpg
    IMG_20180727_223043.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 656
Has anyone heard any news about the York University recently? The last I heard was that construction was to start beginning in Fall 2018 but I haven't seen anything recently.

Back