News   Apr 19, 2024
 241     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 518     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 875     3 

Downtown Markham

Does anyone know how many floors the Riverview Condos are going to be?
16, 38, and 42 storeys.

An April 30th report prepared by city staffers endorsed the revised plan (link). This report shows a site map for all of the Times Group and Aryeh land west of the current developments. The location of the school mentioned above by insertnamehere. Its proposed location has shifted a bit to the North, but is still within Uptown Markham.

The Development Services Committee appears to have proposed amending the by-law in accordance with the revised plan (link). I don't know if that's happened yet.

16, 38, and 42 storeys.

An April 30th report prepared by city staffers endorsed the revised plan (link). This report shows a site map for all of the Times Group and Aryeh land west of the current developments. The location of the school mentioned above by insertnamehere. Its proposed location has shifted a bit to the North, but is still within Uptown Markham.

The Development Services Committee appears to have proposed amending the by-law in accordance with the revised plan (link). I don't know if that's happened yet.

Thanks. Don't they need federal approval because of the airport?

16, 38, and 42 storeys.

Moving the school up a tad and moving the Park down does seem logical. Having the park connect to the Rouge seems better for the environment than having a school back up onto it.

79NBYFw.jpg

Feeling pretty safe walking by the Marriott.

I asked one of the other retail tenants today if they'd heard anything -- it's apparently going to be a medical centre.

Damn was hoping a grocery store of some sort. Maybe like a Rabba in North York. Would be nice to have something that close walking distance.

Still holding out for a Loblaws or something in the Gallery retail spaces

Moving the school up a tad and moving the Park down does seem logical. Having the park connect to the Rouge seems better for the environment than having a school back up onto it.

Hmm I personally don't like the move of the school to be in the middle of a very busy area during rush area with all the residents leaving for work.

Having it backed against the park would have one less road to cross from the south residents.

Having it where it's proposed is basically having everyone (north or south) crossing a road to get to it.

Damn was hoping a grocery store of some sort. Maybe like a Rabba in North York. Would be nice to have something that close walking distance.

Still holding out for a Loblaws or something in the Gallery retail spaces
Rabba would have been good. I always thought that space was about the right size for a Shoppers Drug Mart.

I asked one of the other retail tenants today if they'd heard anything -- it's apparently going to be a medical centre.

I heard that too but I thought the space between poke guys and TD was the medical office. Which is a space that seems like it started renovating then nothing happened. The space on the north east corner with the sliding doors seems very large for a medical centre, let alone having sliding doors on a medical centre.

I heard that too but I thought the space between poke guys and TD was the medical office. Which is a space that seems like it started renovating then nothing happened. The space on the north east corner with the sliding doors seems very large for a medical centre, let alone having sliding doors on a medical centre.
The work permit for the space next to Poke Guys / Raw More was issued for "retail" modifications. One of the Raw More guys was told that an upscale bakery would be opening next door. That fits the description of Sorelle & Co, mentioned in this post. But that work appears to have stalled out.

The work permit for the space next to Poke Guys / Raw More was issued for "retail" modifications. One of the Raw More guys was told that an upscale bakery would be opening next door. That fits the description of Sorelle & Co, mentioned in this post. But that work appears to have stalled out.

I walk by there weekly and I saw the work permit which was issued to Sorelle and Co. The bakery has some connection with Remington in Vaughan so not a far stretch they'll open up here.

I also was told that the corner was supposed to be a medical center (was looking for retail space a year ago and was told it was on hold for that). Not sure if it still is or the tenant fell through and now someone else came in.

I'll check out the work permits if posted.

It would be interesting to find out what exactly the lease rates per sq/ft cost for these retail units in downtown Markham. As it seems like it is unaffordable for the few businesses that have opened for a short period then later to close down. This has me believe leasing expenses are higher than the business’ revenue.

It would be interesting to find out what exactly the lease rates per sq/ft cost for these retail units in downtown Markham. As it seems like it is unaffordable for the few businesses that have opened for a short period then later to close down. This has me believe leasing expenses are higher than the business’ revenue.
Can't pay the rent, staff, and operational costs when you don't have any customers. That's the story of Cherry Berry, Deco (the hoverboard place), and the bubble tea spot on birchmount that just shut down. Raw More did a bit better and I wish they'd been able to pull through, but they were only pulling a small fraction of the business that Poke Guys is now doing in the same unit. While I'm sure these leases are priced at a premium, these were fundamentally flawed businesses that wouldn't have survived if they were operating out of a low rent Scarborough strip mall, nevermind Downtown Markham. Just an opinion, but I live in the area and am out all the time, and can say with confidence that these places needed customers BADLY.

I should add: there appear to be a number of places doing very well in Downtown Markham. Poke Guys has been an eye-opener. There's a lineup stretching out the door many nights. Demetre has had a strong opening. Aroma, Lucullus, and Good Catch all seem to be doing pretty well. I'm looking forward to Copper Branch, which I think is opening in the space next door to Demetre.

Just to give you an idea of rent quoted from last year when I inquired:

Most like could negotiate better rates but this is what was given
Cineplex side $40-45 / sqft
Mariott side $30-40 / sqft
Nexus Condos $25-30 / sqft

Add about $15-17 in TMI on top

Prices might have went up since last year now that it's getting more foot traffic with the hotel open. If you open anything, you better be sure to be an instant success! Poke Guys and Demetres doing well.

A small convenience store would have been nice but a shoppers or another grocery store seems highly unlikely given the close proximity of grocery stores in the 5 minute vicinity(No Frills, T&T, Whole Foods) and the Shoppers Drug Mart at Warden/7.

Just to give you an idea of rent quoted from last year when I inquired:

Most like could negotiate better rates but this is what was given
Cineplex side $40-45 / sqft
Mariott side $30-40 / sqft
Nexus Condos $25-30 / sqft

Add about $15-17 in TMI on top

Prices might have went up since last year now that it's getting more foot traffic with the hotel open. If you open anything, you better be sure to be an instant success! Poke Guys and Demetres doing well.

Oooof, that's a lot for rent. I'm still surprised there is as much foot traffic as is already given the low density of people so far.

Is there anyone here on this board already living in DT Markham that finds that there is an active community in their buildings? Driving through the area these days it no longer feels like the ghost town it once was but I still think it lacks a lot of foot traffic

A small convenience store would have been nice but a shoppers or another grocery store seems highly unlikely given the close proximity of grocery stores in the 5 minute vicinity(No Frills, T&T, Whole Foods) and the Shoppers Drug Mart at Warden/7.

Oooof, that's a lot for rent. I'm still surprised there is as much foot traffic as is already given the low density of people so far.

Is there anyone here on this board already living in DT Markham that finds that there is an active community in their buildings? Driving through the area these days it no longer feels like the ghost town it once was but I still think it lacks a lot of foot traffic
Don't live in DT Markham but go there for movies and gym a lot. Still don't think it has a community feel as, besides the stores and restaurants within the theatre building, most of the neighbourhood is residential. Plus east of the theatre are still empty land...

Back