News   Apr 19, 2024
 196     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 577     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Downtown Markham

^and the lawsuit will take years?
The key word was *settlement*. The government has already made a statement in which they acknowledge that "reasonable" wind-down costs will need to be paid. Money that was to come from the Ontario funds (in full or in part) has already been spent on environmental studies, architectural planning, and so on. Contracts may have already been signed with some suppliers and service companies. The government understands this. So whether there's a threat of a lawsuit from the affected parties, or they avoid the legal system altogether, there will be some kind of settlement that results in the government contributing funds.

^all I care is whether this campus will get built and how it will affect the development plan of Downtown Markham

^all I care is whether this campus will get built and how it will affect the development plan of Downtown Markham
Not dead, probably just delayed:
However, York and Seneca said the shared-campus project in Markham isn’t dead. Though the funding decision was called “unexpected,” with construction in Markham set to begin later this fall, the institutions said they would do their best to complete the project without the province’s help.

For sure many people will be upset with the cancelled construction of the campuses. But Doug Ford is doing what he said he was going to do during his campaign. He’s finding the millions of dollars of savings for taxpayers. Cancelling the development of these campuses is his source of those millions of dollars. The province can’t get out of debt if they’re funding the project with money they don’t have at disposal. However the development of these campuses could resume in the far future, probably with another government in power.

For sure many people will be upset with the cancelled construction of the campuses. But Doug Ford is doing what he said he was going to do during his campaign. He’s finding the millions of dollars of savings for taxpayers. Cancelling the development of these campuses is his source of those millions of dollars. The province can’t get out of debt if they’re funding the project with money they don’t have at disposal. However the development of these campuses could resume in the far future, probably with another government in power.
Well, he didn't campaign on an anti-education platform ... which is no doubt why they waited until the day after the municipal elections to do this, in order to avoid blowback against the people they backed for city council.

Well, he didn't campaign on an anti-education platform ... which is no doubt why they waited until the day after the municipal elections to do this, in order to avoid blowback against the people they backed for city council.
No, anti-education was not campaigned as he was not against that as a political issue. The issue in this matter is the funding. I’m sure if the money was available from the province, these campuses would go ahead as planned to open more jobs in the province and a long term education investment as well. Which he did campaign on. However as it stands now, building these universities are not in the budget for the province.

I did not really care all too much for the other two campuses.

But I think the Markham campus was an important anchor for Markham's downtown, where we are directing a lot of growth and investment to already.

Looks like they've reduced the height of the two towers that we're easy of Gallery Square.

Also, not sure I feel about an entire building being completely covered in that bright orange.

http://www2.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2018/Development Services/pl181211/ruland properties.pdf

Absolutely adore the injection of colour. If both were orange I'd have some reservation but the two towers play off each other well. Tower design seems like it will hold up well against the passage of time too. I'm glad Remington hasn't gone the precast brick/grey spandrel way of Times Group and their Uptown Markham developments.

Back