News   Apr 25, 2024
 346     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Downtown Markham

Hey folks, considering a move to the area in the next few years and I'm also just generally curious about a bunch of stuff . . .

Anyone know if the Unionville GO Upgrade is going to include a better connection @ Enterprise BLVD? Btw does Viva currently go all the way to Unionville?
Unionville GO upgrade does not include an access point from Enterprise Blvd underpass to the station. Currently, only VIVA Pink serves the Unionville GO Station bus loop, while VIVA Purple and Green serve an on-street stop 300m away from the platform. It is unclear how far the extended Rapidway’s station (completed by 2021) will be from the platform, which may not even have a dedicated ROW (underpass/overpass) from Enterprise to YMCA.

Has anyone heard any news about the York University recently? The last I heard was that construction was to start beginning in Fall 2018 but I haven't seen anything recently.

I heard late 2018, so I'm guessing like December (which would technically be fall unless they start during the holidays).

Unionville GO upgrade does not include an access point from Enterprise Blvd underpass to the station. Currently, only VIVA Pink serves the Unionville GO Station bus loop, while VIVA Purple and Green serve an on-street stop 300m away from the platform. It is unclear how far the extended Rapidway’s station (completed by 2021) will be from the platform, which may not even have a dedicated ROW (underpass/overpass) from Enterprise to YMCA.
that is upright stupidity

That's disappointing. The extra 770 metre walking distance from Enterprise and the rail bridge to the station is a pretty significant impediment to having DT Markham residents walk to the station.

That's disappointing. The extra 770 metre walking distance from Enterprise and the rail bridge to the station is a pretty significant impediment to having DT Markham residents walk to the station.
At least the new pedestrian tunnels will be able to connect to future developments west of the tracks, assume there are developments. Hopefully a path will be paved in the interim.
New pedestrian tunnels, elevators, stairs with provision for future development connection at west property limit (tunnel extended west of turnaround track)
slide 22

Haha. Nope! They were going to break ground within the month, though. Exciting time to be in Ontario, folks!

IIRC a permit from the province is required for construction to start, so if the Ford government really wanted to send a message, they could refuse to issue the permit even if alternate (e.g. federal, private) funding is secured. Of course, this would mean Downtown Markham loses a major anchor development.

^why would he do that? Is he really that suicidal?

Well, one rationale would be that the new campus will need funding for operating costs. Even if alternate funding was secured for construction costs, the new campus will either require a provincial subsidy once it starts operation, or it would divert funds away from York's existing campuses.

Yeah, the permit is far less the issue than the money to build and run the school. They seem to think there could possibly be a way to get funding from the feds or something but I don't see how you can run a university campus without the province's involvement.

Seems to be obvious, stupid, short-sighted thinking - and all 3 campuses were in PC ridings too. Or maybe Brampton's is NDP but then Patrick Brown is there now so it's a good target either way. I'm presuming they won't be getting refunds on the money they've spent prepping to date and whatever contracts may have been signed will be cancelled but as we saw back in the Mike Harris days, the PCs aren't afraid to spend a few hundred million not building something.

Anyway, big loss for Markham and York Region (and likely for York and Seneca).

As for this...
^why would he do that? Is he really that suicidal?

Some people asked the same question with Bill 5 and the Notwithstanding Clause. But Ford is just sowing his oats. It's still his honeymoon and if people in Markham are upset he cancelled their university and took away their ability to vote for the regional chair, well, they can just out our their local PC in 4 years, right?

Yeah, the permit is far less the issue than the money to build and run the school. They seem to think there could possibly be a way to get funding from the feds or something but I don't see how you can run a university campus without the province's involvement.

Seems to be obvious, stupid, short-sighted thinking - and all 3 campuses were in PC ridings too. Or maybe Brampton's is NDP but then Patrick Brown is there now so it's a good target either way. I'm presuming they won't be getting refunds on the money they've spent prepping to date and whatever contracts may have been signed will be cancelled but as we saw back in the Mike Harris days, the PCs aren't afraid to spend a few hundred million not building something.

Anyway, big loss for Markham and York Region (and likely for York and Seneca).
Wait what did I miss? Is this cancelled now?

Back