News   Mar 28, 2024
 267     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 247     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 287     0 

Downtown Markham

A small convenience store would have been nice but a shoppers or another grocery store seems highly unlikely given the close proximity of grocery stores in the 5 minute vicinity(No Frills, T&T, Whole Foods) and the Shoppers Drug Mart at Warden/7.
I believe the Warden/7 plaza is close to (if not past) its planned life expectancy. I figure at some point a condo development will be proposed for that corner. But who knows when that'll happen.

I believe the Warden/7 plaza is close to (if not past) its planned life expectancy. I figure at some point a condo development will be proposed for that corner. But who knows when that'll happen.
Where will all these condo residents go shopping, eating or entertaining, or can they even go around?

Where will all these condo residents go shopping, eating or entertaining, or can they even go around?
Presumably in the businesses that will be at the bottom of this hypothetical proposal. One would hope that anything built there would have a significant commercial component.

Presumably in the businesses that will be at the bottom of this hypothetical proposal. One would hope that anything built there would have a significant commercial component.
Totally agreed. One would think the employment brought about by the few companies can generate demand, oh well, still need to keep going.

Traffic in this area will be bonkers in 10 years, so people will be forced to visit places within walking distance ;)

A small convenience store would have been nice but a shoppers or another grocery store seems highly unlikely given the close proximity of grocery stores in the 5 minute vicinity(No Frills, T&T, Whole Foods) and the Shoppers Drug Mart at Warden/7.

Oooof, that's a lot for rent. I'm still surprised there is as much foot traffic as is already given the low density of people so far.

Is there anyone here on this board already living in DT Markham that finds that there is an active community in their buildings? Driving through the area these days it no longer feels like the ghost town it once was but I still think it lacks a lot of foot traffic

I've lived in the area for the last 4 years or so, this summer has been the busiest with many new resto's opening. But even walking around the area, I see a lot more people taking strolls around the areas around 7-9pm, previous years has been pretty empty.

Demetes is ALWAYS packed at night... every night. Lots of high school kids enjoying their summer at the movies and desserts, nice to see it busy! Poke guys always has a line up around dinner time. Capsule and Solestops release some new kicks that has line ups early mornings. Aroma/Chatime/Lucculus/Thai Express all do well. Subway and South St Burger arent super busy... but know what would do well? A Burrito place, someone open up a Burrito Boys, Mucho or Quesada franchise please :)

I would hope for a big commercial component as well with no condos or a very short tower. That No Frills seems to be the bread and butter location for the surrounding community. I don't think it would be smart to have a grocery store in Downtown Markham. The way things are laid out now with T&T at Kennedy and No Frills/Whole Foods on Highway 7 seems to be the most beneficial for traffic going through the area. It would be a lot more congested if a giant grocery store was built on enterprise.

Or better transit
And/or more frequent transit. I drive on urban roads mainly and I think I've seen more deer in my lifetime than I've seen YRT buses.

And/or more frequent transit. I drive on urban roads mainly and I think I've seen more deer in my lifetime than I've seen YRT buses.
Yes the Viva expressway is empty idling most of the day...waste of money and space

Yes the Viva expressway is empty idling most of the day...waste of money and space
The population of Markham has grown ~50% in 15 years. (223K in Jan 2002, 353K in 2018)
The city's planning documents from ~15 years ago projected a 2030 population of around 342K. We're 13 years ahead of that forecast.
Height restrictions are being loosened on new buildings in Markham Centre, meaning even more intensification in the area.
Even if the growth slows to 33% in the next 15 years, the 2030 population will be around 450K.
Add the new York/Seneca Campus, new commercial buildings and retail ...
The transit is needed for the future.

Last edited:
The population of Markham has grown ~50% in 15 years. (223K in Jan 2002, 353K in 2018)
The city's planning documents from ~15 years ago projected a 2030 population of around 342K. We're 13 years ahead of that forecast.
Height restrictions are being loosened on new buildings in Markham Centre, meaning even more intensification in the area.
Even if the growth slows to 33% in the next 15 years, the 2030 population will be around 450K.
Add the new York/Seneca Campus, new commercial buildings and retail ...
The transit is needed for the future.

Yea, I do feel service will need to increase wildly over the upcoming years as DT Markham intensifies and as the York/Seneca campus opens up. As it is right now though the YRT and Viva buses are highly unreliable and as result either empty or packed to the brim. It's hilarious that the only way to go up and down McCowan is using the TTC which may or may not always be an option.

Looks like the early stages of the road building is underway between Cineplex parking lot and 407 across from Aviva. Saw bulldozers and dump trucks taking out dirt today.

Does anyone know which restaurant is opening in the corner of cineplex building next to the curry's?
They look like they have most of their seating and lighting finished as of last week!

Does anyone know which restaurant is opening in the corner of cineplex building next to the curry's?
They look like they have most of their seating and lighting finished as of last week!

Walked by it yesterday as we were checking out Ribfes, all covered up, couldnt really tell what was going inside. Only saw some lighting but it looked like it was unfinshed still lots of concrete unless thats the look they're going for :)

Walked by it yesterday as we were checking out Ribfes, all covered up, couldnt really tell what was going inside. Only saw some lighting but it looked like it was unfinshed still lots of concrete unless thats the look they're going for :)
I Saw some movement inside, and noises, I think construction is about to ramp up in there

Back