News   Mar 28, 2024
 139     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

"Downtown" elites?

Check out the 2016 census data linked from this site to the City of Toronto website for a treasure trove of Ward specific information.

My Ward 19 Trinity-Spadina is now richer and whiter than the Toronto average. Consider that the household income is now higher than average despite the high incidence of single person households and a median age that is 32 years and getting younger.

So that slice of formerly low-income immigrant neighbourhoods with it's pockets of entrenched poverty is now less diverse, wealthier, and younger than the Toronto average. Sounds kind of downtown elite-ish no?

Statistically wealthy suburban areas have to reach their household income levels with homogenous dual-or-greater income earner households although I guess retired people might soften the numbers?

The riding of University-Rosedale (most of which is officially "downtown") has the highest educational attainment in the province and the second highest average income. On the other hand, Toronto Centre has the highest poverty rate of any riding.

The riding of University-Rosedale (most of which is officially "downtown") has the highest educational attainment in the province and the second highest average income. On the other hand, Toronto Centre has the highest poverty rate of any riding.

This political slap was never a dig at any middle class or poor who reside in Downtown. Its a direct dig a the growing wealthy minority in the City who have a greater financial political power advantage and a vested interest in seeing greater investment in the Downtown (and the Core) as opposed to outer areas of the City. Surely many of them live in posh areas of Downtown, and as you mention many live in the attractive central (bloor to finch) which happed to be mostly in reasonable proximity to the subway investment of the past. Inevitably they don't give a crap about focusing on the key detail to revitalize our neglected suburbs of the City. Whether genuine or not Ford has put a political label on it and tapped into the apathy from the lack of focus from a previous pro "Core" administration.

Like most political statements Its not a black and white, and I get how some are offended but voter apathy does exists in large number and the cat is out of the bag. Until steps are taken by all political groups to make serious attempts in diluting this issue were going to see this type of politics continue at the forefront for some time to come.

Find a time Machine, go back in time. Make better life decisions. Go to school longer and pick a field which pays more. Stop blaming or being jealous at downtown "elite" people for Scarboroughs plight.

Find a time Machine, go back in time. Make better life decisions. Go to school longer and pick a field which pays more. Stop blaming or being jealous at downtown "elite" people for Scarboroughs plight.
"Hey poor people! Stop being so poor!"

I mean really?

Listen I'm tired of hearing scarborough residents talk about how great downtown is without admitting that downtown residents make sacrifices as welll. If you live in the suburbs then guess what amenities and transit is going to be further from you. If you live downtown you make sacrfices too. When I lived in scarborough I had a four bedroom house with a garage and a backyard big enough for a pool. I now live what some would consider downtown and I have two bedrooms no garage and a backyard big enough for a picnic table. For those living in scarborough who are living in 500-600 Sq ft like many who live downtown without the benefits of anything downtown I feel sorry for you. But as a former scarborough resident that didn't describe my neighbourhood. Most people had 2-3 cars with a single or double garage and a detached house. That's a life style choice. I don't see why downtown people who chose not to live that way should be subjected to sarcastic words such as "elite" yet be told they are not considerate if they choose words like "Scarlem" or "Scarberia.". A lot of my friends who lived in Scarborough could have chosen to live more modest life styles downtown. Rather some of them were crazy enough to move further out and have real mcmansions in Whitby. They want to have the best bang for their buck yet mock downtown people at the same time. Cake and eat it too I suppose.

...or pick a creative field or an athletic field of study (college sports is huge in the United States)

Six rings, I think your last post points out some important differences underlying the paradigms of the so called “downtown elite” and Ford nation voters that are relevant to discussions in this forum.

In downtown elite world measures to enhance public transit or cycling are thought of as progressive because poor people are users of these modes, cars are high end and associated with means, and poverty generally is associated with abject levels of poverty and social assistance.

In Ford Nation world measures that restrict drivers are anti-progressive because cars are low end, the poor are working poor and most importantly the poor ARE drivers. Measures to restrict vehicle access, increase driving costs, etc. are taxes on the struggling middle-class and working poor.

Hahaaaaaa....sounds like what I should do every time I moan about overpaid office workers.

Back