News   Apr 19, 2024
 260     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 532     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 895     3 

"Downtown" elites?

I definitely think it's not correlated to income, but more so beliefs:
Brail said she doesn’t like the phrase “downtown elites” and thinks it’s “probably misused,” coming from a perception of privilege and the idea that downtowners have different lifestyles, values and priorities.

Yes, for the Ford crowd "elites" is defined in terms of culture, not economics.

A construction company owner in Vaughan is not "elite" but a sessional university instructor that rents in say, Parkdale, is.

One "defense" I hear of the ridiculously extensive all of inner city Toronto definition goes something like this: Maybe an urbanist like you can appreciate these micro-differences but to someone who grew up in Scarborough the Beaches seems like downtown.

Even though in actuality the Beaches feels more like Oakville than it does like King and Spadina.

One "defense" I hear of the ridiculously extensive all of inner city Toronto definition goes something like this: Maybe an urbanist like you can appreciate these micro-differences but to someone who grew up in Scarborough the Beaches seems like downtown.

Even though in actuality the Beaches feels more like Oakville than it does like King and Spadina.

There is a retort to that - what do you think all those non-downtown Starbucks - and there are great many of them - are selling? Double double?

AoD

I always felt like The Beach was like a streetcar suburb with the sensibilities of a suburb suburb. Likewise, Liberty Village feels like a heritage district conceived by a Vaughan developer.

In contrast, there are signs of urbanity in places like Port Credit, Streetsville and Downtown Whitby.

Isn't 'downtown elites' just another made-up slur used by Conservatives to try to belittle it's opponents.

I already saw it mentioned above but the real elites of Toronto are more likely to live north of downtown in a McMansion.

Back