News   Jul 31, 2024
 29     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 305     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 279     1 

Discontinuous streets

Why was Lawrence disconnected? Seems they could have kept that connection and just run the road under Bayview.

Why was Lawrence disconnected? Seems they could have kept that connection and just run the road under Bayview.

It used to run under Leslie - the are remnants of the old roadway underneath the Leslie bridge, including a small bridge over the river.

Rather, it was Leslie that was discontinuous with Lawrence being the through road there. That changed with the construction of the high-level bridge in the 1950s.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It used to run under Leslie - the are remnants of the old roadway underneath the Leslie bridge, including a small bridge over the river.

Rather, it was Leslie that was discontinuous with Lawrence being the through road there. That changed with the construction of the high-level bridge in the 1950s.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I'm not from Toronto... been here since 2006, and this a part of the city I have no idea about. However google earth identifies the bridge as bayview, and the top left white line as Lawrence.

lawrencedisconnect.jpg

I'm not from Toronto... been here since 2006, and this a part of the city I have no idea about. However google earth identifies the bridge as bayview, and the top left white line as Lawrence.

lawrencedisconnect.jpg

Yes. The high level bridge is Bayview Avenue. Leslie and Lawrence intersect at the same grade level.

Torresdale in North York. Land is available and clearly it was planned to go through. Anybody know the history here?

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at Friday May 25, 2018 12.49.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at Friday May 25, 2018 12.51.46 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at Friday May 25, 2018 12.49.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at Friday May 25, 2018 12.49.33 PM.png
    323.3 KB · Views: 406
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at Friday May 25, 2018 12.51.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at Friday May 25, 2018 12.51.46 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 430
They might not get rid of the other Dufferin jog but they could at least have the 29 go all the way to Steeles or at the very least be able to transfer from Dufferin to Dufferin North at the same station.

lawrencedisconnect.jpg

Ahem. You're absolutely right, I got the two streets mixed up. My apologies.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Torresdale in North York. Land is available and clearly it was planned to go through. Anybody know the history here?

Probably just planners/developers not wanting the residential street to be used by commuters. It's somewhat common in York Region.

There's the jog along Ellesmere at Victoria Park. Any idea why that happened? Ellesmere becomes Parkwoods Village Dr. than York Mills Rd.

There's the jog along Ellesmere at Victoria Park. Any idea why that happened? Ellesmere becomes Parkwoods Village Dr. than York Mills Rd.

Different concession measurements in different towns. If you follow all of the concessions north of Bloor/Danforth, they all jog to a degree when meeting Victoria Park.

In fact, in Scarborough Steeles isn't even the 7th concession road north of Danforth - Passmore is. They decided to make Steeles the boundary and a straight line right across what would become Toronto.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

George Street is broken between Queen and Shuter due to Moss Park. It USED to go through (see Goad 1910 as example). George is also a bit odd as it has a George Street SOUTH extension going south of Front rather than the 'normal" Lower prefix.

Different concession measurements in different towns. If you follow all of the concessions north of Bloor/Danforth, they all jog to a degree when meeting Victoria Park.

In fact, in Scarborough Steeles isn't even the 7th concession road north of Danforth - Passmore is. They decided to make Steeles the boundary and a straight line right across what would become Toronto.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
Mississauga has two different concession measurements: one north of Eglinton and another south of Eglinton.

They were made back when Mississauga was known as Toronto Township and Eglinton in Toronto Township was called Lower Base Line (just like in Milton today).

Kipling avenue ends at steeles and starts back up just south of hwy 7 (was known as 8th concession) i believe this was due to there being a garbage dump there many years ago.

Kipling avenue ends at steeles and starts back up just south of hwy 7 (was known as 8th concession) i believe this was due to there being a garbage dump there many years ago.

I think it's just to protect the park. Pine Valley and Leslie are interrupted for the same reason.

Back