News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 448     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I'm in Calgary this month and have ended up taking the LRT a fair bit. Last week I had to journey to the extreme southern end of town for a session at a new hospital. I suppose I had a "one-seat ride" all the way; that is, until I had to transfer to a bus. In any case, it's a pretty nice way to get around what is otherwise a very spread out city. But somehow that makes me thing that such technology is just what would fit best in a dispersed low-density area like Scarborough. Of course, I suppose that's not good enough for Scarborough, even though it has half the population of Calgary.

Scarborough is denser than Calgary though.

if it is an RT effect, then why is Kennedy which has subway access has particularly low property values?

Far too much industrial development around Kennedy. That will change with time. As the rest of the city fills up.

I will split the difference. I don't think the RT helps home values as much as subway proximity does. But I don't think you can blame all the value differential on the RT.

Far too much industrial development around Kennedy. That will change with time. As the rest of the city fills up.

I will split the difference. I don't think the RT helps home values as much as subway proximity does. But I don't think you can blame all the value differential on the RT.

No argument there - the main point being using dubious maps for broad strokes assertions for something like property value being directly driven down by RT.

AoD

If this does go ahead, I hope they have the good sense to build it entirely above ground.

That would be far cheaper, wouldn't it? I'd also think it would make for a nicer ride - I'd prefer that to being stuck underground for 6km.

Comparing Torontos existing network to the Calgary LRT.

Why is it not relevant to compare Toronto's in-progress and proposed LRT network to a city which has a well established one? (and which has planned expansion)

Scarborough is denser than Calgary though.

In an apple to oranges comparison, perhaps that's true overall since Calgary has annexed areas and spread ever outward, but certainly older areas and the area south of downtown are intensifying. Scarborough certainly isn't so dense that a single additional subway stop on top of the existing two amounts to anything approaching adequate transit coverage.

Calgary's 2016 numbers:
• City 1,239,220
• Density 1,501.1/km2
• Urban 1,237,656
• Urban density 2,111.8/km2
• Metro 1,392,609 (4th)
• Metro density 272.5/km2

Scarborough's 2016 numbers:
• Total 632,098
• Density 3,367.6/km2 (8,722/sq mi)

But compare land area:
Calgary:
• Land 825.56 km2 (318.75 sq mi)
• Urban 586.08 km2 (226.29 sq mi)
• Metro 5,110.21 km2(1,973.06 sq mi)

Scarborough:
• Total 187.70 km2 (72.47 sq mi)

Why is it not relevant to compare Toronto's in-progress and proposed LRT network to a city which has a well established one? (and which has planned expansion)

In an apple to oranges comparison, perhaps that's true overall since Calgary has annexed areas and spread ever outward, but certainly older areas and the area south of downtown are intensifying. Scarborough certainly isn't so dense that a single additional subway stop on top of the existing two amounts to anything approaching adequate transit coverage.

Calgary's 2016 numbers:
• City 1,239,220
• Density 1,501.1/km2
• Urban 1,237,656
• Metro 1,392,609 (4th)

• Total 632,098

But compare land area:
Calgary:

Scarborough:

Interesting discussion. Ill move to the other thread

Scarborough certainly isn't so dense that a single additional subway stop on top of the existing two amounts to anything approaching adequate transit coverage.
TTC's website currently indicates there are 8 stops in Scarborough. This will be reduced to 4.

Shame. We ought to be adding 8 more, all the way out to Morningside if possible.

It is certainly a shame given how far behind we are and a shame we have to fix a generational mistake with the RT, and its a shame we can only think in one technology at a time and a shame that any detailed plan with higher $$ value in Scarborough has to be politically pitted against the "priority" of downtown in this City. Since this is the reality that is not going anywhere it will be subways first, local improvement second until the subway belt is built.

Last edited:
Calgary's 2016 numbers:
• City 1,239,220
• Density 1,501.1/km2
• Urban 1,237,656
• Metro 1,392,609 (4th)

• Total 632,098

But compare land area:
Calgary:

Scarborough:

Calgary is a mostly unitary city. Its population is 90% of the metro area. Toronto's population is only 46% (which drops to 38% if you include Oshawa and Hamilton in the Metro Area)

On the matter of applicable rules:

- Stay on topic. Read the thread subject and previous postings carefully before replying to a topic. There is some room to move around in a thread but keep it to a minimum. We want to have a forum that provides knowledge to its members rather than a soapbox for people who just want to add to their post counts. We will warn you if we think you’re posting too often about nothing. Don’t take it personally. We just want the content to stay strong.
- Make sure your posts contribute something meaningful to the thread.

Please keep 'the people of Scarborough are this' rant out of here too.

, perhaps that's true overall since Calgary has annexed areas and spread ever outward

I'm glad we agree. It's sad that you couldn't concede and had to resort to moving goal posts.

What is annoying is this idea here that Scarborough is seen as some utterly suburban wasteland. First there was the constant comparison to the 905, and now apparently, we have to move the goalpost to compare to Calgary? Why resort to such hysterics to shout down the Scarborough subway? I can understand the merits of the proposal are debatable. The hyperbole resorted to (and not just on this forum) is what annoys and simply hardens attitudes on the other side.

These density comparisons are also somewhat pointless. Simply because transit has to be viewed as a system. And Scarborough has to be viewed in the context of being a borough inside the 416. It's not Pickering. And it's not a standalone city of 500k like say London. This insistence that transit must be planned on hard numerical cutoffs without considering the public's transit priorities and desires is what is leading to the gap between professional planners and the voting public (in these parts).

For example, if I commute only inside Scarborough and let's say I am along a route that would benefit from the LRT. If my commute goes from 30 mins to 20 mins, that's a huge improvement percentage wise. But really, it's not going to be perceived as a large improvement, because, "it's only 10 mins". If that same ten minutes is saved on a 1.5 hr commute, the perceived benefit is going to be even lower. The public really does not care about 10 mins here or there. They want to see large cuts to their commute time. And most of these are working class people, like say my own 60 something mother, who takes the TTC for 1.5-1.7 hrs each way from Morningside Heights to her office near Union. You'll have to convince people like that, there will be large savings on the LRT. It's why I remain convinced that the only way out of these debates is to shift a lot of the 416 downtown bound commuters to suburban rail.

Back