News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 431     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I recall Keesmaat talking about due to the depth of the Moscow Metro, its often faster to take surface routes than travel all the way underground to get on a train. Nevertheless, Toronto subway infrastructure seems to sink to increasingly absurd depths by the decade.

Ah, but the Moscow metro was designed to double as a fallout shelter in the event of a nuclear war. The deepest station is 84 meters deep, compared to 9 meters for the Bloor-Danforth, 15-18 meters for Sheppard and 18-20 meters for the future DRL.

I apologize because I started up the debate again. I haven't been following this thread for a few months.

I think it is a relevant piece of information for the SSE that STC Station would require long and difficult transfer for people arriving by foot or by bus to head several flights underground to the station platform.

Does anybody know why should that station be so deep? There is no creek nearby, unlike near the would-be Lawrence East station.

Are there deep foundations on the way?

I believe the depth for the SSE and the DRL has to do with the fact that they want to use a single boarded tunnel vs a dual bore one like they have in the past. A single board one has to be deeper because of it being a wider area as both set of tracks will be contained in a single tunnel rather then being in separate tunnels side by side each other lie we have now. Alos with the DRL there is many things that are also requiring it to be deeper like the path downtown and the Don Valley in other parts of the alignment.

:DMaybe they should put a rubber duck at the new Scarborough Town Centre station as a draw, to get people (and more importantly, passengers) to the subway extension.

bigduck.jpg

From metronews.ca

There is no reason for these types of posts. This is trolling

Last edited:
I recall Keesmaat talking about due to the depth of the Moscow Metro, its often faster to take surface routes than travel all the way underground to get on a train. Nevertheless, Toronto subway infrastructure seems to sink to increasingly absurd depths by the decade.

Part of it is the underground and surface infrastructure that has been added over the years.

I dare you to try to cut and cover any downtown street now. That is how they built Yonge line.

By FAR the best option will also be the cheapest one to build and operate..............upgrade the ART to 21st century standards and use it as a thru route for Eglinton. The money saved would make Eglinton/STC a full subway and would pay for an extension to Malvern. Due to grade separation the line could be automated and the maintenance and operational centre is already built but would simply have to be expanded as opposed to a brand new one for LRT.

By FAR the best option will also be the cheapest one to build and operate..............upgrade the ART to 21st century standards and use it as a thru route for Eglinton. The money saved would make Eglinton/STC a full subway and would pay for an extension to Malvern. Due to grade separation the line could be automated and the maintenance and operational centre is already built but would simply have to be expanded as opposed to a brand new one for LRT.
That is far too intelligent a solution or idea for us in Toronto. Where is the respect for Scarborough in that plan?

That is far too intelligent a solution or idea for us in Toronto. Where is the respect for Scarborough in that plan?

Kind of sad, that was the plan under Ford. I hated the guy when he was Mayor and thought the plan was dumb at the time. but looking at the current $6 billion Eglinton line that stops at every red light + $4 billion one-stop extension to STC now I realize how good it was. Make it ICTS to save on tunnelling costs and elevate sections of Eglinton east instead of burying it and you'd end up with enough savings to make a down payment on the DRL.

Below is the Metrolinx ridership projections for a combined SRT + Eglinton grade separated line... ridership jumps from 2700 to 9500 pphpd.

20110624ridership.jpg

FYI. Tweet from @c_9 "Well isn't that interesting. Scarborough Subway Extension "will not meet project objective" on schedule, scope, or risk. Budget "at risk.""
2sxYZlZ

well thats too bad...... all the more reason to take TTC decision making away from the politicians. As of now they still dont have a firm commitment to go either way/.

View attachment 114113
FYI. Tweet from @c_9 "Well isn't that interesting. Scarborough Subway Extension "will not meet project objective" on schedule, scope, or risk. Budget "at risk.""
2sxYZlZ

Not sure it means anything, really. It's just a statement of project "risk" which details basically what was already known and unknown.

• We just passed 5% design and there has always been high "risk" of providing clear funding commitments.
  • The DRL short would be at the same risk level if the City and Province had its funding act together and started preparing.

Politics will carry the day. The funds/schedule will just be adjusted as accurate dates and $ estimates are provided. The only way this means anything more is if we elect a Mayor who wants to wage transit holy war against Scarborough and the Province I don't think these "risks" are anything more than obviousness. Ill believe that when I see it.

Last edited:
Disappointing to see the triple R, but for a project at the 5% phase, not sure if it's actually possible for it to be all green.

2sxYZlZ

Right, but the real objective of this subway is to re-elect shitty Scarborough councillors / Liberal MPs at any cost. So on that count it's actually very much "on track".

Back