News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 427     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

https://www.insidetoronto.com/news-...ncillor-seat-might-be-down-to-two-candidates/

This is a whole lot of fluff, and just further dust kicking by the media. There was never any reason for serious consideration to go outside the ward and more importantly to change any part of the Ward44 mandate on Moeser.
  • Moesers wife wrote a letter for council to support Jim hart to carry out Moesers mandate
  • Councillor Moeser supported the SSE.
  • His likely replacement and previous runner up McKelvie also supports the SSE.
  • Hart would align more towards the elected Mayors platform
With the possibility of a 30% design update on the horizon before the election it would be an interesting if not strange to see Soknacki gets the appointment over Hart given the Mayors stance and points above.

Last edited:
STC Station is to be the deepest station in TO. That means it would take like 5 minutes just to get from the surface to the platform. Even longer from STC (the mall) as it's further away. All the time saving is thus gone. Can we all agree that this is stupid?

I thought this was ignored/lost a couple pages ago, but this is an incredibly important point.

As things stands, there are no time benefit savings with the STC, even for transit users who board at STC. Any time gained from the transfer at Kennedy is lost at the transfer in STC. This is in addition to the longer travel times inflicted on transit users who would have boarded at Lawrence East station.

The easy solution would be to ELEVATE the Scarborough Subway above McCowan, and we might encounter cost-savings over the tunneled subway, and time-savings at STC as the station will be a floor above the surface rather than several floors below ground level. We could even add back the Lawrence East station at that point and still be somewhere cheaper than the present tunneled plan.

I thought this was ignored/lost a couple pages ago, but this is an incredibly important point.

As things stands, there are no time benefit savings with the STC, even for transit users who board at STC. Any time gained from the transfer at Kennedy is lost at the transfer in STC. This is in addition to the longer travel times inflicted on transit users who would have boarded at Lawrence East station.

The easy solution would be to ELEVATE the Scarborough Subway above McCowan, and we might encounter cost-savings over the tunneled subway, and time-savings at STC as the station will be a floor above the surface rather than several floors below ground level. We could even add back the Lawrence East station at that point and still be somewhere cheaper than the present tunneled plan.

With the planned alignment, that is not an easy solution. That would be a very expensive solution.

With the planned alignment, that is not an easy solution. That would be a very expensive solution.

The best alignment was, is and will always be the preexisting rail corridor alignment if at- or above-grade is the goal.

Re-aligning Kennedy Station such that Bloor-Danforth trains can continue up the Stoufville GO ROW is surely cheaper than the $4.2 billion the fully underground McCowan alignment allows. Also permits us to save Lawrence East, one of Ellesmere or Midland, and leaves open the possibility to extend the subway into Malvern/Morningside Hts.

The best alignment was, is and will always be the preexisting rail corridor alignment if at- or above-grade is the goal.

Re-aligning Kennedy Station such that Bloor-Danforth trains can continue up the Stoufville GO ROW is surely cheaper than the $4.2 billion the fully underground McCowan alignment allows. Also permits us to save Lawrence East, one of Ellesmere or Midland, and leaves open the possibility to extend the subway into Malvern/Morningside Hts.

I thought we were done with this bs..... Admins, can you punt this person out of here.....

I thought we were done with this bs..... Admins, can you punt this person out of here.....

What did I say wrong? I'm not debating LRT vs. subway. I actually thought you'd find that I'm agreeing with your post that elevated is incompatible with the McCowan alignment. Why am I being attacked?

What did I say wrong? I'm not debating LRT vs. subway. I actually thought you'd find that I'm agreeing with your post that elevated is incompatible with the McCowan alignment. Why am I being attacked?

All the debating on anything but the current plan has been moved to another thread.

It has been quite quiet, and now you start up.

All the debating on anything but the current plan has been moved to another thread.

It has been quite quiet, and now you start up.

This thread should about news and updates about the SSE. Any talks about alignments, mode, or whether anything is needed should be done in Debate on the merits of the Scarborough Subway Extension.

I apologize because I started up the debate again. I haven't been following this thread for a few months.

I think it is a relevant piece of information for the SSE that STC Station would require long and difficult transfer for people arriving by foot or by bus to head several flights underground to the station platform.

I apologize because I started up the debate again. I haven't been following this thread for a few months.

I think it is a relevant piece of information for the SSE that STC Station would require long and difficult transfer for people arriving by foot or by bus to head several flights underground to the station platform.
High Speed Elevators? Nah, it's not "in the budget".

:DMaybe they should put a rubber duck at the new Scarborough Town Centre station as a draw, to get people (and more importantly, passengers) to the subway extension.

bigduck.jpg

From metronews.ca

High Speed Elevators? Nah, it's not "in the budget".
Jokingly or not, it is important to note that elevators and escalators present a real station capacity constraint on the movement of people that is a heavier passenger flow constraint than those imposed by subway capacity.

Escalators and staircases can only accomodate so many persons per minute. Since we are spending exuberant moneys to eliminate stops and redirect Scarborough's buses to one terminal station, it is important to think about how all those people will move within the station, especially to/from the subway platform.

Think about the capacity constraint at Bloor-Yonge station between people transferring between lines and crowding the stairs/escalators. If the subway platform at STC is so deep, we are going to have several floors of this.

Jokingly or not, it is important to note that elevators and escalators present a real station capacity constraint on the movement of people that is a heavier passenger flow constraint than those imposed by subway capacity.

Escalators and staircases can only accomodate so many persons per minute. Since we are spending exuberant moneys to eliminate stops and redirect Scarborough's buses to one terminal station, it is important to think about how all those people will move within the station, especially to/from the subway platform.

Think about the capacity constraint at Bloor-Yonge station between people transferring between lines and crowding the stairs/escalators. If the subway platform at STC is so deep, we are going to have several floors of this.
This is why there need to be high speed, high capacity, double door elevators that allow for fast moving from surface to platform. 6+ elevators with 50+ capacity. Of course, it's definitely not in the budget.

I recall Keesmaat talking about due to the depth of the Moscow Metro, its often faster to take surface routes than travel all the way underground to get on a train. Nevertheless, Toronto subway infrastructure seems to sink to increasingly absurd depths by the decade.

Back