News   Jul 16, 2024
 323     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 500     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 621     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

No world class city spends so much money on a 1-stop 6km underground subway in the suburbs, with low projected ridership and scant evidence that such a cockamamie plan was the right one to begin with.

That's why I emphasis on "poorly managed file". The original 3 stop subway had the necessary ridership. His Smarttrack fetish screw that plan

One thing about the Brimley alignment which probably makes it politically unpopular is the likely difficulty in finding a way to get it to Sheppard. The Borough Drive station could drive under 401, jog back to McCowan and swing onto Sheppard with some property take but not excessively so. A Brimley track pointing northeast does not sell well to the councillors who will need to sell the notion that there is a chance, however remote, of Line 2 coming back along Sheppard.

No world class city spends so much money on a 1-stop 6km underground subway in the suburbs, with low projected ridership and scant evidence that such a cockamamie plan was the right one to begin with.
This is not an exageration. You literally can't find another example in the world.

Moscow has one 7 or 8km tunnel that goes under a nationally protected forest/park, but the line in question is not contentious for ridership/importance and connects major parts of the city.

San Fransisco also has a long tunnel of similar length, but it goes under the Bay. No need for intermediate stations.

(The LRT transfer would've been straight across a single platform)

That's a myth! The Kennedy transfer has never been seriously planned by the city.

Headways on the SSE will be 50% of the rest of Line 2

That's also a myth! Some people have speculated that the TTC would do this to cut operating costs, but it's not a part of any plan. And aside from that, the LRT would also have headways twice as long as the Bloor-Danforth subway.

Commuters who used Lawrence East, Ellesmere, McCowan stations will have significantly longer trip times

Three myths! Lawrence East is getting a SmartTrack station (i.e. the same travel time to Kennedy as the SRT), Ellesmere wouldn't get a station under most LRT proposals, and the Scarborough Centre station would have at least one entrance on McCowan.

The kennedy transfer was planned to be similar to the sheppard platform which means it was to be on the same level as the subway. As for Lawrence I will believe they are getting a Smarttrack stop as soon as I start believing Smarttrack is a real thing. Also what happens if Smarttrack uses fair by distance fares. Will that change your view? What about people who live on Midland, they lose their RT stop. I used to live at Midland and Finch and routinely would take this bus to this station.

That's a myth! The Kennedy transfer has never been seriously planned by the city.

Incorrect. Look up the EA plans for the Eglinton Crosstown, or the preliminary plans for the SRT-to-LRT conversion. A lot of thought had gone into the transfer at Kennedy to make it as painless and easy as possible.

That's also a myth! Some people have speculated that the TTC would do this to cut operating costs, but it's not a part of any plan. And aside from that, the LRT would also have headways twice as long as the Bloor-Danforth subway.

The TTC themselves have said that. And since they're the ones operating it....

Three myths! Lawrence East is getting a SmartTrack station (i.e. the same travel time to Kennedy as the SRT), Ellesmere wouldn't get a station under most LRT proposals, and the Scarborough Centre station would have at least one entrance on McCowan.

Except that they will go from an SRT train every 5 minutes to a SmartTrack train every 15.....maybe? And that's assuming that it actually happens, which is becoming an increasingly large assumption with every day that passes.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

One thing about the Brimley alignment which probably makes it politically unpopular is the likely difficulty in finding a way to get it to Sheppard. The Borough Drive station could drive under 401, jog back to McCowan and swing onto Sheppard with some property take but not excessively so. A Brimley track pointing northeast does not sell well to the councillors who will need to sell the notion that there is a chance, however remote, of Line 2 coming back along Sheppard.
Not only that but there wouldnt be nearly as much land available to redevelop at sheppard and brimley versus what would be available at the nissan dealership and Canadian tire at Mccowan.

I thought the pro scarborough subway crowd was going to throw a fit once they found out that the city was not choosing cut and cover... crickets.... well i guess you get your stop no matter how dumb the cost is.

I thought the pro scarborough subway crowd was going to throw a fit once they found out that the city was not choosing cut and cover... crickets.... well i guess you get your stop no matter how dumb the cost is.

Don't generalize and actually read the forum. I called the current plan insanity.

The kennedy transfer was planned to be similar to the sheppard platform which means it was to be on the same level as the subway.

I thought you read that Steve Munro article you posted. He said the LRT station would have been one level above the subway.

Don't generalize and actually read the forum. I called the current plan insanity.
just because people call the plan insanity doesnt mean they are writing the mayor or their counselors telling them to reject this plan. On the other hand when they were going to have a LRT they were writing and complaining constantly that they needed a subway to be treated fairly.

The only way this could possibly be worse is if Council voted to build the Subway extension, without installing any rails, to save money

:D Nothing surprises me anymore in the 6

I don't know anymore. Wynne just cut hydro bills by 25% out of thin hair. Wouldn't be surprised that she would build Sheppard and go back to the 3 stop plan to save her in the next election by just throwing cash at it.

Last edited:

Back