News   May 15, 2024
 515     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 401     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1K     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

This is politicking. These now way this will have enough riders, even with the new developments.

It assumes that like most subway stations the majority of riders arrive by bus. The catchment for SCC extends all the way up to Steeles.

Of course, once you realize 90% of riders using the new extension arrive by bus it makes that specific Scarborough location far less important for improving rider efficiency.

One-stop subway cost estimates so far: $2B > $2.9B > $3.16 > $3.2B > $3.35B

In 2012: 3-stop subway "only $500million more than light rail!"

To be more fair, all of Transit City was supposed to cost $6 billion at launch.....

With all this talk of walkability, is it time we trace all the subways with LRT/streetcar lines? Use the LRT as feeder for the subway?
I always thought of TC as a LRT version of the legacy network north of Bloor. I like your thinking but we are wasting too much on too few projects to afford to do this.

Now that would be a worthwhile goal for the city's transit.

From another thread ..

First of all, there is no good reason to laugh about short-turning half of the trains at Kennedy. That would just be a sensible mode of operation during the peak hours.

Even if the trains arrive to STC every 6 min instead of every 3 min, they will provide a very frequent and convenient service.

The daily operating costs for SSE with one new station will be much lower than those for the SRT it replaces. No need to clean 4 extra stations. Just 3 subway trains will do the job, instead of 6 SRT trains plus 4 or 5 131E buses that TTC has to run to Kennedy because SRT is at capacity. Hence, lower labor costs.

There is an issue of capital / repair costs; I am not sure if the TTC will win or lose on that account. The tunnel maintenance will cost quite a bit once it is no longer brand-new. On the other hand, the SRT stations and tracks require some maintenance, too.

It would be very inconvenient for the returning trip to Scarborough. People caught on the wrong train would have to get off at Kennedy and wait for the next train.

As for operating costs, I am not as well versed in them but my understanding is that the operating costs of vehicles is among the highests costs to the TTC, and SSE will necessitate a much larger fleet, even if they short-turned vehicles at Kennedy.

Steve Munro, while very knowledgeable on several topics, is extremely left leaning and the archetype of the stereotypical downtowner. He is extremely smart and informed on transit, but also extremely biased.

His utopia would be a complete ban on cars, with everyone riding bicycles to streetcars and LRTS that line every street of the province.
But did you actually read the article for the content or just the end idea that he's not for the subway extension. I follow his blog and while I agree he does take "his" position, the facts that are presented are not biased (unlike Tory, Ford, etc.). What information opinion did you specifically not agree with which shows "his extreme left leaning"? As the many pages of this thread show, this topic is very, very grey - not black and white.

Who the heck thinks one station (including a bus terminal) should cost over $400M? I guess government. You can build a 30 story office tower for that price including underground parking.

Who is pocketing all that cash?

It's time to go back to the standard station design. Take the drawings from Royal York or another station and just duplicate it.

So after thinking about it and reviewing the reports these are my questions/observations
  • Nowhere does it shows that the Brimley Express route prevents the Triton Terminal to be built at that said location. Surely, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to have the buses travel further west within the mall district to reach the bus terminal at the station box of this alignment.
  • The Triton Terminal being move above the Brimley Alignment station does not prevent the city from fulfilling its urban vision and still frees the necessary land.
  • Why isn't Brimley route consider for 100% cut and cover construction? The alignment being shorter and Brimley seems less congested than McCowan Rd would mean less local protests. Instead of just saving $214M, it could have brought the cost further down to perhaps a $1B. I also noted huge stretch of park land that could be use for cut and cover to minimize disruption
Just answered my own question...The ship as sailed on cut and cover & elevated subway construction in Toronto. The project had potential (stations at Danforth, Lawrence and Sheppard) but highly mishandled by every parties involved.

Very disappointing and that's why this city will never have a world class subway system. I'm pro subway but building extensive/expensive underground lines in lesser density areas is insanity.

Who the heck thinks one station (including a bus terminal) should cost over $400M? I guess government. You can build a 30 story office tower for that price including underground parking.
Off-topic, but this quip catches me off-guard. Towers cost that much in general?

I would have thought ~$100M was already reaching a costly value for new buildings.

This would be a nice topic area for an investigative/informative article piece on the UrbanToronto front-page. Maybe I am speaking out of hand but I'm not so many of us urban enthusiasts are aware about the costs of these things.

Time to put this Brimley thing to rest already.
  • Brimley is just 200 metres shorter than McCowan, so there is very little savings in cost or travel time to be had.
  • Most bus routes would have to travel longer to get to Brimley,
  • McCowan attracts approx 1,000 more net new riders than Brimley.
  • McCowan results in 500 more boardings in the morning peak hour than Brimley, and 3,800 additional riders throughout the day
  • McCowan results in a better-placed station within the wider context of the entire planning for STC and adjacent areas, notably the equally large “McCowan Precinct” east of McCowan.

Very disappointing and that's why this city will never have a world class subway system.

No world class city spends so much money on a 1-stop 6km underground subway in the suburbs, with low projected ridership and scant evidence that such a cockamamie plan was the right one to begin with.

How? What specifically did he say that validates your accusation? If anything his takedown of Tory's lies were spot on.
He worked at STC for decades. But sure, you know what he thinks.
Sorry I was being sarcastic and maybe a little trolly to one city / coffe1 since I think he is pretty unbiased, uses stats for his opinions... but you know...
Steve Munro, while very knowledgeable on several topics, is extremely left leaning and the archetype of the stereotypical downtowner. He is extremely smart and informed on transit, but also extremely biased.

His utopia would be a complete ban on cars, with everyone riding bicycles to streetcars and LRTS that line every street of the province.

Back