News   Jul 16, 2024
 34     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 455     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 557     2 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Folks this is coming to a head
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/scarborough-subway-cost-saving-measures-1.4005373
A TTC board member is warning the Scarborough subway costs could skyrocket out of control, but Mayor John Tory says there is a plan to save money on the project.

Tory is urging city councillors to approve the alignment of the proposed one-stop subway extension — which now has a price tag of about $3.35 billion once a new bus terminal is factored in — so design and construction work can begin as soon as possible.

On Wednesday, Tory said any delay will only result in the city paying more for the mega-project and vowed to keep a close eye on the money being spent on the subway.

"I can assure you I'll be looking at every dime that is spent and trying to make sure we save as many of those dimes and dollars as we can," Tory told reporters outside Nelson Mandela Park Public School, where he was marking the second anniversary of kids riding for the TTC for free.

View image on Twitter

Follow
CBC Toronto

✔@CBCToronto

.@JohnTory says 22 million children rode the TTC last year -- double 2014's total. #topoli

10:12 AM - 1 Mar 2017

Earlier, Coun. Joe Mihevc told CBC Radio's Metro Morning he's worried the city has written a blank cheque for the 6.5-kilometre subway extension, and that he expects the cost to blow past the current price tag and go as high as $5 billion.

"It is still going way, way beyond expectations," he said.

Mihevc, who supported an earlier version of the subway that had three stops, said he expects city council to reluctantly OK the new recommendations for the subway, including using the McCowan alignment.

"We have to find a way to make peace with it at some point," he said.

"And that's perhaps the tragedy of our time."

Mihevc said he shares concerns voiced by some Scarborough transit activists that the subway's costs could mean that the Eglinton East LRT plan, featuring 18 stops, won't be built. At one point, council had approved spending $3.5 billion on both projects.

Tory has said he's hoping for more federal funding for the future LRT line, and Mihevc said he expects the mayor to face hard questions about that at future council meetings.

Engineering report outlines potential savings

In an effort to find savings on the Scarborough subway project, the TTC requested a value engineering study conducted by a range of experts and engineers, as well as some of its staff.

That team came up with 181 ideas to save money on the project, 64 of which were recommended to the TTC.

"We'll be pursuing every one of those recommendations to find ways, which I am confident we can do, to save substantial sums of money," Tory said.

The suggestions, outlined in a report that will be discussed by the mayor's executive committee next week, are mainly technical in nature, including measures like reducing the "track system concrete thickness," which the report says would save $14 million.

None of the recommendations have been approved at this time.

so you have adopted the Mercedes approach. Mercedes-Benz New Global Slogan: The Best or Nothing. In fact what I think is more realistic is delay delay delay and build nothing at all.

This doesn't even warrant an answer

Actually, it does...so the MOU is a Mercedes for you? Today's Scarborough plan due to the fact we turn that down is a bloody personal jet in comparison

This doesn't even warrant an answer

Actually, it does...so the MOU is a Mercedes for you? Today's Scarborough plan due to the fact we turn that down is a bloody personal jet in comparison
Nope the Mercedes is the subway while a LRT might be a dependable affordable middle class Toyota. But we're a world class city, we couldn't embarrass ourselves with that.

Nope the Mercedes is the subway while a LRT might be a dependable affordable middle class Toyota. But we're a world class city, we couldn't embarrass ourselves with that.

The LRT has left the building. Deal with it. The MOU meant LRT on the SRT. It was rejected for the wrong reasons and also because the LRT enthousiast were incapable of compromising and seeing the bigger picture. They went just as extreme as the "subway, subway, subway" crowd.

I'm pro subway but hate this 1 stop subway and preferred the LRT MOU. Didn't meant Finch would be dead. It meant we'd have to pay for it which would be cheaper than the money the city will be throwing at this subway. Think for a second

The LRT has left the building. Deal with it. The MOU meant LRT on the SRT. It was rejected for the wrong reasons and also because the LRT enthousiast were incapable of compromising and seeing the bigger picture. They went just as extreme as the "subway, subway, subway" crowd.

I'm pro subway but hate this 1 stop subway and preferred the LRT MOU. Didn't meant Finch would be dead. It meant we'd have to pay for it which would be cheaper than the money the city will be throwing at this subway. Think for a second

Council would not have voted to raise taxes for an LRT on Finch. If anything, after Ford's idea to have the private sector pay for the Sheppard Subway was exposed for the lie that it was, any more public money would have gone to pay for it.

It hasn't. It's dormant but it's easy to revive. Especially if this thing keeps going up.

But it's not about that, right now we just want costs to be reasonable.

It hasn't. It's dormant but it's easy to revive. Especially if this thing keeps going up.

But it's not about that, right now we just want costs to be reasonable.

What is reasonable? Nothing was ever going to be reasonable to these people. It could have been built at a "reasonable" 3 times already

Folks this is coming to a head

They just truly hate Scarborough.

Decades of requests, 19/20 Scarborough Councillors currently support it, the Mayor, Premier & Opposition Leader, Prime Minister, UTSC and many business leaders, community leaders, 2 Polarizing Elections. You would never know right now if you didn't live in Scarborough?

What are they really fighting over? To delay further and force the unwanted transfer to SCC, shut down the RT and build the LRT that will cost even more they they claim? Ruthless.

Last edited:
John Tory is the new Piped Piper, wanting you to follow him with his music lure of a subway.

And the Downtown Political Media is The little boy who cried Wolf.

But not only did the others start ignoring them, worse.. This bully rhetoric created an opposite reflection in our Politics. Your picking on the nicer of the two. Careful

Last edited:
Im assuming if you are saying that one group (downtowners) ignored other groups (in this case Scarborough residents) that it was for their own benefit somehow (downtown transit). Where is this so called new downtown transit which you seemingly imply. Also Vaughan got a Subway so clearly downtown doesnt hate the suburbs, it hates Scarborough (for unknown reasons since surely most of downtown residents rarely go there)

Im assuming if you are saying that one group (downtowners) ignored other groups (in this case Scarborough residents) that it was for their own benefit somehow (downtown transit). Where is this so called new downtown transit which you seemingly imply. Also Vaughan got a Subway so clearly downtown doesnt hate the suburbs, it hates Scarborough (for unknown reasons since surely most of downtown residents rarely go there)

Did Toronto pay for Vaughans portion of the extension?

Also Downtown Politicians (and their media friends) are not involved in Vaughans Politics. So Vaughan gets their own voice to grow without extra delay. Scarborough get rejected and has their voice washed out.

Even with the unfortunate matter of the subway of being only one stop. 19 out 20 Politicians support it Scarborough. Why are we still trying to drag this out further? This is not good Politically and people need to understand the reverse effect its having.

Last edited:
Did Toronto pay for Vaughans portion of the extension?
I dont recall because at the time they were proposing the Vaughan extension I was so happy to hear about our attack on the suburbs via TC that I forgot to look. But now those evil Scarborough people are foiling my pinky latte sipping bike riding plot that I am in a tizzy.

Back