News   Jul 22, 2024
 311     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 379     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

9 years. WTF. Thats such bullshit.

Wasn't the chunnel built in like 10? Do we have an army of monkeys digging with shovels?

I know we've got a bunch of monkeys at head office but come on.

Ashton struck a more cautious note. One way of looking at Soberman's analysis, he said, would be to pick one of the less costly options.

Scarborough councillors could then say: "OK, we're prepared to accept we don't want a subway that would cost $1.2 billion. We're prepared to take an option that costs $350 million, but you owe us the difference in other improved transit within Scarborough."

I know everybody loves subway lines, but really this seems the better option. If you look at slide 6 in the presentation on the RT replacement from last November (www.toronto.ca/srtstudy/p...tion.pdf), using $1 billion to develop LRT / BRT / transit priority to Kennedy station from a number of different areas to the north and east would move a lot more people a lot faster.

I actually think the Scarberia councellors make a good point, for once. If they build say the streetcar option, the $700MM or so they will save should be spent maybe on furthering transit in Scaberia, say, expanding the streetcar network in that region. Since the SRT replacement would be the same tech, than expanding the network would make real sense. YOu could then build the required streetcar infrastructure to support a Scarborough based street car network (which would be an impedimant to currently expanding the streetcar network).

Subway is the answer. We can expand the streetcar all we want in Scarborough. But if it still takes over one hour to get you downtown with the transfer at Kennedy, people are not going to use it.

We have to fix the travel time problem, and the only way to do that is with a subway extension. Not the status quo which makes you transfer for nothing at Kennedy.

If people want quick times downtown, then they should think of GO as being an option.

$700MM more just so people save 10 minutes transferring at Kennedy is very expensive.

LRT and GO

I'm in favor of converting the SRT into a dedicated LRT line.

I just don't see the Subway option flying anytime soon as there isn't any money for it.

I also agree that using GO Train as an EXPRESS means of moving commuters downtown should be a viable option. Having a twice an hour all day GO Service from Kenndy Station would be a huge improvement in travel time.

With the new GTTA this type of coordination could finally be made possible.

Louroz

Re: LRT and GO

9 yrs? In HongKong, didn't they blast a mountain, build an aiport, build the aiport highspeed rail and subway, and build a freeway linking the airport to the downtown area, in just 8 yrs?

Well, I think they meant 9 years from inception to completion of construction. On this basis, HK's project actually took way above a decade (and if you take into account political reasons, about two decades).

AoD

I'm seriously considering going to the meeting tonight. Hopefully it should be entertaining. Anyone else?

Hmmm....

I just might be up for it.

Ah, starts at 7. I'm there.

If a good LRT-on-ROW network can be built in Scarborough for $1 billion, then that is by far the best option. There is a lot more travel within Scarborough than there is from Scar. to downtown.

On the other hand, the subway should eventually be built deeper into Scarborough as well. But I think an LRT network would make a big impact on the city, whereas the subway extension would be nice but trivial in the short term.

Extending the subway to STC is the most logical first step, as demand is already there. Most riders are heading downtown anyways, so quick access downtown will encourage more users to get out of the car. The Sheppard line can wait another 15-20 years once ridership is there.

Demand is already there?
Really? Enough to validate a subway?

I don't think so, the subway will add tremdous capacity and maybe built to anticipate future demand, but by no way that there is current demand to justify a subway, unless you factor potential ridership gains, a decade or so away from now.

^ The subway won't be finished for a decade if started today. The corridor most definitely has the ridership for a subway - aren't 6 million trips per year are lost because of the poor service the current RT provides? I sure believe that number - I avoid the RT on my way home now and only take it in the morning. Add current ridership (42,000 boardings per day in 2004), lost ridership (~16,000 boardings per day), ridership on competing alternate/diverting routes that would switch to the subway (over 10,000 for sure), and 10 years of growth (they're still building on greenfields in NE Scarborough) and you're easily looking at over 70,000 trips a day.

There may be places in the city where a similar length of new subway track would be "better" and busier, but extending the B/D line to STC is punch-you-in-the-face obvious. Then run Sheppard over to STC and we're done for now and can build new transit lines elsewhere (don't extend either to Malvern). During subway construction, a busway or express buses can easily replace the RT - if they really want to be nice to Malvern commuters, they'll run some GO trains along the Midtown route to Summerhill station.

Back