News   Jul 18, 2024
 235     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 675     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.9K     3 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I heard her say that the Scarborough LRT does not interfere with traffic. But she didn't explain how this would be accomplished for the Eglinton LRT - which is in Scarborough.:)

Eglinton LRT is not a TTC project at this point; it's entirely the work of the province. Funds, contracts, coordination, etc. They may even opt to run operations themselves, though that isn't likely.

Scarborough Subway/LRT options are entirely in the hands of the city. The province has gone completely hands off (though they may take it back entirely if they don't like how it's being done). TTC/Council is in control of the EA, design, construction contracts, and cost overrun.

I'm not a fan of Chow but it makes sense to limit discussion to things which she would have authority to change if elected. Knowing her, she'll probably not be able to keep within those constraints for very long.

Last edited:
She didn't get the memo... The Liberals and the PC will build a subway. The Liberals aren't going back to LRT. She should pray for a NDP Majority.

Yup. This is what Sokancki doesn't get either.
The PC are building nothing. When the cancel everything they deem unecessary, the STC subway will go with it.

This is what happned in 1994, Harris got in office and then Eglinton West was gone. People vote PC and then cry 3 years later. Let's see Hudak in charge.

Well did Chow not also say the DRL should be built "eventually"? I am surprised to hear her say she supports the LRT (same as Sokanchi), different from what others are saying, yet what she said about the DRL and "eventually", is the opposite of the other candidates (not sure what Sokancki says about the DRL though).

Well did Chow not also say the DRL should be built "eventually"? I am surprised to hear her say she supports the LRT (same as Sokanchi), different from what others are saying, yet what she said about the DRL and "eventually", is the opposite of the other candidates (not sure what Sokancki says about the DRL though).

Yes. I don't think she's against the DRL based on what I saw of reporter's questioning her. But we'll have to see more details about her positions later.

She is definitely for switching back to the LRT for Scarborough. She said it will open 4 years earlier than the subway would I believe.

It was going to be open 3 years earlier with a 3 year shutdown of the SRT, but we would be lucky to see it open 2 years earlier at this point.

I suspect Laschinger and Kinsella have told Chow she can't "take a subway from Scarborough and give it to downtown" as Ford and Tory-Kouvalis will paint it. Maybe Stintz will too but I'm not as sure she can make that argument given her own history on Scarborough.

Will the 7 stop LRT be longer though...

It'll take longer to ride, maybe, with useless stops like Midland/Ellesmere in the midst of an industrial wasteland that is much of the SRT corridor. But not in terms of how far it'll reach.

I personally do hope that Chow does win this election, given as it'll be the clearest break from the right-wing buffoonery that has governed this city for four years, but I can't honestly understand why go back to the LRT at this point. Just stick to one plan, even an imperfect one like the BD subway extension, and get this damn thing built.

Because if we were truly living in a perfect world, then neither LRT nor subway would be necessary because the Stouffville GO line would be upgraded to REX standards and frequencies, with fare integrated TTC buses connecting to it, but that probably won't happen within my lifetime :p

if the SRT transfer is eliminated and fully connected to Eglinton then the subway will be moot anyway.

I'm still hoping that one of the major mayoral candidates is going to bring this option to the table, especially considering the extra $900 million from the property tax increase for the subway is already sitting there. Heck, the leftover plus the federal funds committed would probably allow the entire SLRT extension into Malvern to be built.

You would think that such a common sense solution would appeal to Malvernites. One-seat ride LRT directly to Yonge, or bus to STC to transfer onto the subway.

but I can't honestly understand why go back to the LRT at this point. Just stick to one plan, even an imperfect one like the BD subway extension, and get this damn thing built.

She's already backpedaling on it, shifting the responsibility to the Province to make the change. So at this point it's just a sound bite to lure in anyone under the delusion the LRT is coming back.

I'm still hoping that one of the major mayoral candidates is going to bring this option to the table, especially considering the extra $900 million from the property tax increase for the subway is already sitting there. Heck, the leftover plus the federal funds committed would probably allow the entire SLRT extension into Malvern to be built.

You would think that such a common sense solution would appeal to Malvernites. One-seat ride LRT directly to Yonge, or bus to STC to transfer onto the subway.

Exactly. And then you can even build the rest of Eglinton to Pearson with that money too. This solution should be marketed to some people in Scarborough because they need to be warned if you live east of McCowan the subway will not improve or change your commute one bit. This and the Malvern LRT would serve way more people and bring more RT to people rather then stuffing people on the Bus to STC or Sheppard/McCowan which I guarantee which will happen if the subway is built.

Where is BurlOak?! lol

Back