News   Jul 18, 2024
 212     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 372     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 769     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Exactly. And then you can even build the rest of Eglinton to Pearson with that money too. This solution should be marketed to some people in Scarborough because they need to be warned if you live east of McCowan the subway will not improve or change your commute one bit. This and the Malvern LRT would serve way more people and bring more RT to people rather then stuffing people on the Bus to STC or Sheppard/McCowan which I guarantee which will happen if the subway is built.

Where is BurlOak?! lol

Exactly. And yes, it seems like us 3 are the resident EEE (Elevate Eglinton East) crowd, hahaha.

A possible great way to market the LRT is to market it as phase 1 and remind people of the Malvern extension. The con to this is that if extended and more riders are attracted it can make subway numbers look even better.

Exactly. And then you can even build the rest of Eglinton to Pearson with that money too. This solution should be marketed to some people in Scarborough because they need to be warned if you live east of McCowan the subway will not improve or change your commute one bit. This and the Malvern LRT would serve way more people and bring more RT to people rather then stuffing people on the Bus to STC or Sheppard/McCowan which I guarantee which will happen if the subway is built.

Where is BurlOak?! lol
Sounds good. Can it all be done with just the property tax increase alone?

Where is BurlOak?! lol

Here I am - I got your Bat signal.

I'm still hoping that one of the major mayoral candidates is going to bring this option to the table, especially considering the extra $900 million from the property tax increase for the subway is already sitting there. Heck, the leftover plus the federal funds committed would probably allow the entire SLRT extension into Malvern to be built.

You would think that such a common sense solution would appeal to Malvernites. One-seat ride LRT directly to Yonge, or bus to STC to transfer onto the subway.

I have lost almost all hope. I think the contracts have been signed for the portal to be located at Scenic (hillside west of Leslie) and that will pretty much doom the line to be in the median. After all, does it make sense to have the LRT in the median through Leslie and then switch to elevated from Don Mills to Kennedy? Probably the only hope is if the provincial government changes - because I do not think the Liberals can be seen to flip flop again.

When I first started thinking about transit, I thought Sheppard Subway was the #1 priority and that the B-D extension should be built to STC. Thanks to the knowledge learned from this and other sources, I realized that Sheppard was not the #1 priority and that is it best to cancel both the Sheppard subway and the LRT - it is too hard to force an unpopular LRT so close (calender wise) to the equally low priority Spadina extension to Vaughan. I would never have thought about elevating the line above Eglinton, but when I realized how much less cost was involved, it dawned on me that the SRT connected to the elevated Elginton line was the best solution.

Because of this, I can not get mad at Malvernites or any other area of Toronto for not supporting the elevated line because I am certain that they have never thought about it and have no idea if it is more or less expensive than an underground subway. The primary blame rests with those leaders at TTC, Metrolinx, TTC Board, and MTO who have not presented all viable solutions as is supposed to happen in an Environmental Assessment.

Most likely. It would cost 2 billion at the highest estimates. Maybe less.

• It is 11km from Jane to Pearson - so I think about $1.7B is needed to built that line as elevated.
  • It is about 5 or 6km from Don Mills to Kennedy - so this would cost about $400M more than the in-median option.
  • It is about 2km from Sheppard to Malvern - so this would cost about $300M more.

So maybe a touch more than $2B (maybe $2.4B) and I think the Federal portion and the City property tax hike is in the $1.7B range. If they had planned it this way from the start, they probably could have saved a healthy chunk of change.

Provincially, I think this is a good strategy because it would appeal to both Toronto and Mississauga. To me, It makes more sense to spend $700M bribing Mississaugans for their votes to build a transit line, rather than spending over $1B to get nothing.

Yeah the thing is, besides the one news article about Elevated transit, and that one report, no one is talking about elevated transit, on Eglinton or elsewhere.

I've never heard any politician talking about it.

Yeah the thing is, besides the one news article about Elevated transit, and that one report, no one is talking about elevated transit, on Eglinton or elsewhere.

I've never heard any politician talking about it.

How quickly you all seem to forget that the north-eastern extension of the LRT-converted-SRT was to be elevated....

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

How quickly you all seem to forget that the north-eastern extension of the LRT-converted-SRT was to be elevated....

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This doesn't change that an elevated Eglinton East portion of the LRT would still give a great benefit in terms of speed and reliability for a fairly reasonable additional cost. Not to mention that the streetscape of Eglinton Ave. E in the Golden Mile is more than ready to accept an elevated structure down the middle.

Elevated Eglinton East would still have been the best option for the route, especially considering the consequences of a lack of grade separation if a through-routing with the LRT-SRT was to be built.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Good point.

It seems that every time an elevated track was proposed, the public was strongly supportive.

This doesn't change that an elevated Eglinton East portion of the LRT would still give a great benefit in terms of speed and reliability for a fairly reasonable additional cost. Not to mention that the streetscape of Eglinton Ave. E in the Golden Mile is more than ready to accept an elevated structure down the middle.

Elevated Eglinton East would still have been the best option for the route, especially considering the consequences of a lack of grade separation if a through-routing with the LRT-SRT was to be built.

A billion dollars is a reasonable cost???

Nevermind the fact that (a) ridership on the line east of Don Mills is and was always projected to be substantially lower than that west of Don Mills and a surface line would more than handle the loads and (b) a paralleling bus service would be necessary to make up for the loss of local service, and that there are additional ongoing operational costs involved in that.

And as for through-routing - that's always been a terrible idea.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Right, from what I read they studied whether they needed to fully grade separate the line or not, and based on the ridership and PPPHD projections, decided that it doesn't need to be grade separated. That's what the EA says.

Right, from what I read they studied whether they needed to fully grade separate the line or not, and based on the ridership and PPPHD projections, decided that it doesn't need to be grade separated. That's what the EA says.

I thought they wanted to run the SRT through with Eglinton, but then the EA found that the PPPHD projections were way too high - since people dislike transfers, many would continue along Eglinton. The two choices were:
  1. Elevate the line above Eglinton to allow it to have adequate capacity.
  2. Force a transfer to the subway at Kennedy to drop the demand on Eglonton.

Considering that the only reason the continuous SRT/Eglinton could not be done was because people want the transfer free (or reduced) ride, it is no wonder that the Transit City plan they chose was defeated - because of the transfer. To recap; people hate transfers - have a plan to force a transfer, -people complain about transfer - very expensive solution proposed to eliminate transfer.

Back