News   Jul 17, 2024
 578     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 648     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

It's not like the terminus at Kennedy has high density. Density along the route is a factor but ridership levls could still be obtained from alighting.

The real damage with the route is the loss of the station for Cenntenial. There must be at least >15k students/employees in the area that makes for large difference between the LRT/subway numbers for people it reaches.

they are still only a 3 minute bus ride away. the subway does have higher ridership than the LRT. the centennial stop would have had no connecting bus routes and it is a very small campus to justify a subway. even if 2/3rd of the students and employees took the subway there every day it would just barely break the "break even" level for a subway stop. (in reality will probably be closer to 1/3 the students and employees)

My problem is that UT Scarborough will be the only University in the city without Subway service. As much as we talk about Malvern and Centennial, that place is a full blown university. Now all it will get is BRT since Eglinton East(Malvern LRT has been canceled and it will not be build for sure now especially if Eglinton/Brimley gets a subway stop.

U of T Scarborough is planned to get a BRT service to it with the Durham BRT lanes.

U of T Mississauga will continue to go without any form of superior transit service.

U of T Scarborough is planned to get a BRT service to it with the Durham BRT lanes.

U of T Mississauga will continue to go without any form of superior transit service.

Do you think that's good for UT Scarborough?
U of T Mississauga? I know it's not that close, but assuming the Milton line finally gets all day service by 2021 it should help out a bit.

The subway route proposed by Murray had further cost optimization due to combined efforts with double tracking work in the Unionville corridor. There is some benefit to going up McCowan after Scarborough Centre, but not a major benefit to running under McCowan south of Ellesmere. Is it really worth $1B++ to move a station from Lawrence and Midland to Lawrence and McCowan while making the station at Scarborough less convenient for many? I think $1B is better spent elsewhere.

The subway route proposed by Murray had further cost optimization due to combined efforts with double tracking work in the Unionville corridor. There is some benefit to going up McCowan after Scarborough Centre, but not a major benefit to running under McCowan south of Ellesmere. Is it really worth $1B++ to move a station from Lawrence and Midland to Lawrence and McCowan while making the station at Scarborough less convenient for many? I think $1B is better spent elsewhere.

Plus you can cover Centennial and even Malvern with the SRT route. It would be the lowest ridden part of the line but it would not be a big deals. Here's the thing. Because this line's ridership is low, we have to focus on build a line in a denser corridor..

Do you think that's good for UT Scarborough?
U of T Mississauga? I know it's not that close, but assuming the Milton line finally gets all day service by 2021 it should help out a bit.

Have you been to UTM or Erindale station? They are not close to each other, despite both being called "Erindale".

My problem is that UT Scarborough will be the only University in the city without Subway service. As much as we talk about Malvern and Centennial, that place is a full blown university. Now all it will get is BRT since Eglinton East(Malvern LRT has been canceled and it will not be build for sure now especially if Eglinton/Brimley gets a subway stop.
Ever heard of Glendon Campus?

they are still only a 3 minute bus ride away. the subway does have higher ridership than the LRT. the centennial stop would have had no connecting bus routes and it is a very small campus to justify a subway. even if 2/3rd of the students and employees took the subway there every day it would just barely break the "break even" level for a subway stop. (in reality will probably be closer to 1/3 the students and employees)

It is not a 3 minute bus ride. Google maps says it's 13 minutes, which doesn't include walking and wait time. My friend used to take that bus everyday when he studied at Centennial, and he would always tell me how much he hated it, how it was always crowded, uncomfortable, slow, and bunching up. It's a real shame that Centennial will never get real rapid transit thanks to political meddling.

Plus you can cover Centennial and even Malvern with the SRT route. It would be the lowest ridden part of the line but it would not be a big deals. Here's the thing. Because this line's ridership is low, we have to focus on build a line in a denser corridor..

Routing transit lines is a lot more than just linking up all the already developed areas. All of those existing suburban higher-density developed area are designed to be served by cars and people live there because they like driving (otherwise they would live downtown). One important factor in picking a new higher-order transit route is to hit all the areas where there is the potential for new transit oriented development. That may mean running the line through underdeveloped neighbourhoods rather than fully-developed neighbourhoods.

And I guarantee Murray's idea of BRT is based on DRT Pulse which is not even BRT or so called "BRT-Lite."

The plans are fairly detailed for it, the existing pulse service with bulked up service and a curb side bus lane. I'm sure the TTC would be allowed to use the lanes..

Back