News   Jul 17, 2024
 544     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 640     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

So what did people do before the RT was built?

ridership was much lower. when the RT opened ridership was probably around 1/2 it is today, if not less... 1 minute frequencies aren't easy, but 3 minute frequencies are. Basically, the far north east corner of Scarborough was not transit accessible, so nobody who relied on transit really lived there. 30 years later, there is a significant transit reliant population living there that needs access to transit that losing the RT will not give them.

The subway left the station. Please move on to debating something else

The Failed, partially dug Eglinton West Subway was more out of the station than this before it to got axed. Until we know where Olivia Chow stands on this issue, the train is waiting for a green light.

sure, this version of the subway may not have de-facto left the station, but the LRT is certainly all but dead.

Its in cryogenesis for now that much is sure. Truthfully if they chose some way to run the trains up the current corridor following the same LRT extended route to sheppard I could find a compromise in my opinions. That much I could bare because we wont be digging though something that will forever be a subdivision.

Metrolinx did a study of running it through the planned LRT corridor and it cost just as much as the current plan with less ridership IIRC. the only thing you lose on the other alignment is the centennial stop, and the sheppard stop is far less effective as a transfer stop from the SELRT. The STC stop is in the exact same spot and the Lawrence stop doesn't really matter in location as all it is really there for is to intercept the Lawrence bus.

sure, this version of the subway may not have de-facto left the station, but the LRT is certainly all but dead.

This makes no sense. The digging had begun for the Eglinton subway before it was cancelled, yet somehow because the latest vote (and I stress latest) vote called for a subway to replace the RT, that is a set deal? Wishful thinking

This makes no sense. The digging had begun for the Eglinton subway before it was cancelled, yet somehow because the latest vote (and I stress latest) vote called for a subway to replace the RT, that is a set deal? Wishful thinking

The difference is the province backs a subway extension into Scarborough, and whether the Grits or Tories are in power come after the soon-to-be spring election, the LRT plan is dead as a doornail. The subway will happen.

There isn't even a EA yet for the subway. Hudak could still and cancel it.

Or the Liberals could at least extend the line to McCowan Finch so it's actually useful.

I doubt Hudak would cancel the Bloor-Danforth extension. He would cancel the Finch West and Sheppard East LRT lines, but he would keep the subway plan on track. His party is already backing the McCowan route. As for the Liberals, chances are that if they are back in power after the election, they'll back the McCowan route. Glen Murray's subway plan was very foolish, but in the end, the McCowan route will most likely be picked.

I doubt Hudak would cancel the Bloor-Danforth extension. He would cancel the Finch West and Sheppard East LRT lines, but he would keep the subway plan on track. His party is already backing the McCowan route. As for the Liberals, chances are that if they are back in power after the election, they'll back the McCowan route. Glen Murray's subway plan was very foolish, but in the end, the McCowan route will most likely be picked.

Chances... Murrays plan actually cost only 1.8 billion, McCowan will cost over 3 when the finaly tally comes in. and there's no proof McCowan is a better route.

The difference is the province backs a subway extension into Scarborough, and whether the Grits or Tories are in power come after the soon-to-be spring election, the LRT plan is dead as a doornail. The subway will happen.

Well the province also backed eglinton subway in the 90's (Rae government). How many times do politicains get into power and state ...well things worst off, then cancel proejcts or at least delay indefintely. Its just a waiting game now. Look at all the transit proposals in the last 30 years yet nothing

There isn't even a EA yet for the subway. Hudak could still and cancel it.

Or the Liberals could at least extend the line to McCowan Finch so it's actually useful.

Agreed. McCowan and Finch actually has some density that could use a Subway. McCowan and Sheppard is literally Canadian Tires and 2 small condos.

Someone on twitter posted a bunch of picture of McCowan Road and Lawrence. You count the number of cars along McCowan on one hand. I am against this white elephant, but you may as well extend spend the extra money and extend to Steeles if we're stuck paying for it.

Back