News   Jul 19, 2024
 280     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1K     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

So does this mean that even if council votes against this, the province will go ahead with this plan?
I don't see how they could. They have a signed deal in place to convert the SRT to LRT and extend it. I don't think the province can unilaterally amend that deal without taking over control of the city.

Does not matter. Rob Ford would NOT use any of the options, unless its a photo op, because his first option is his car.

The fool wants others to pay for things so he can tell his base that he can get things built without increasing taxes.

Really?

Really?

You think this is a better plan?

So a one stop subway that will serve far fewer people than the 8 stop LRT is a better plan?

There is no benefit to this subway plan whatsoever. Since there are only two stations (vs eight with LRT), the bus rides to the subway will be longer and more crowded. The average travel time for people in Scarborough will almost certainly increase. This really only benefits those in Scarborough who live and work at STC and at Lawrence @ Midland. Everyone else is a loser.

I'd say it is a better plan than the one Stintz came out with.

McCowan is a short walk away from Scarborough Centre, and has little reason to exist as it is. There are a few light industrial office buildings, but nothing which screams that it needs a rapid transit stop. Right now its primary use is for people on select routes to get off the bus early to nab a seat on the RT, and for people to use their transfer for a stopover.

Midland has to be the WORST location for a transit stop. Not just because for its lack of use, but because it is right next to a recycling and waste transfer plant causing the entire station to smell like ass! The people who allowed this to go through should not only be banned from urban planning, but also SimCity as well! Ellesmere could be more successful, but suffers because of poor transit and pedestrian connections (they do exist though) and hopes to get all its ridership from park and rides. Unfortunately for it, most people in this position are likely to either drive to the GO or park at Kennedy.

The only station which sees any sustainable use is Lawrence East, and that is not saying much at all.

The entire SRT is more of a case of failed urban planning rather than transit planning. For what it is, it does an admirable job extending rapid transit into Scarborough, and provides an efficient connection between Kennedy and Scarborough Town Centre. Unfortunately everything around it is based around modernist planning and is not designed to be conductive to transit. This has lead to a lack of momentum to expand and invest in it, which has further caused the line to degrade.

Not sure how this is sickening. Without the City and Federal financial support, it is really the Province's money that they are using to get this done. For $1.4 billion, here is the Subway we can build for you. That's the truth. At least the province is being fiscally responsible this time around.

I'd hardly call $700 million / stop fiscally responsible.

This is a brilliant politically tactical plan. I firmly believe that Murray has no intention of actually building this plan, it's just his way of showing what JUST Provincial funding can build in terms of a subway (hint: it's not very good). This will leave TO Council with 3 options:

1) Come up with an extra $1.4 billion in order to build the subway they originally wanted. This could come either through a miracle deal with the Feds, or (gasp) actually paying for transit themselves.

2) Go with the sub-par plan that Murray proposed today.

3) Return to the funded and mostly-designed LRT plan.

I strongly suspect the outcome will be #3. And that's exactly what the Province has wanted all along. This plan that was announced today is just the most politically savvy way of getting there, as it places all of the pressure on Council. They have to be the ones to say "no" to the subway, after they were the ones who said "yes". They look like the flip-floppers (which they definitely are), and the Liberals get to look like they were listening to the people, and that they were completely consistent.

I don't know whether to be amused or alarmed that the people planning the subway expansion don't realize we already have a station called "Lawrence".

I would favour alarmed personally. Just because something as basic as this should have been caught long ago. Particularly given the name of the current SRT stop (Lawrence East). It certainly is amusing though.

This is a brilliant politically tactical plan. I firmly believe that Murray has no intention of actually building this plan, it's just his way of showing what JUST Provincial funding can build in terms of a subway (hint: it's not very good). This will leave TO Council with 3 options:

1) Come up with an extra $1.4 billion in order to build the subway they originally wanted. This could come either through a miracle deal with the Feds, or (gasp) actually paying for transit themselves.

2) Go with the sub-par plan that Murray proposed today.

I strongly suspect the outcome will be #3. And that's exactly what the Province has wanted all along. This plan that was announced today is just the most politically savvy way of getting there, as it places all of the pressure on Council. They have to be the ones to say "no" to the subway, after they were the ones who said "yes". They look like the flip-floppers (which they definitely are), and the Liberals get to look like they were listening to the people, and that they were completely consistent.
Well stated. Now it's up to Toronto council to make their move.

Well stated. Now it's up to Toronto council to make their move.

The only thing that would make this even more interesting is if Metrolinx said "We'll let you use Revenue Tools money to close the $1.4 billion funding gap, on the condition that you pass a motion formally supporting all of the recommended revenue tools."

Now THAT would turn Ford into an ideological pretzel! "Do I vote no on a subway, or do I vote yes on what is in effect raising taxes?"

I strongly suspect the outcome will be #3.

Unless Ford has been wounded politically far more than he appears, I don't see that happening. He is all-in against an LRT, and he and his cronies would prefer nothing to that solution. I don't know if the rest of council, many of whom jumped on the subways for Scarborough bandwagon, will now be able to reverse course in the face of Ford's intransigence.

Statement from Mayor Rob Ford:

I campaigned on extending the Bloor-Danforth Subway Line to the Scarborough Town Centre. I want to thank the Province for helping me deliver on that promise.

Over the last four years, I have fought against the LRT for a subway to Scarborough – because that is what Scarborough residents asked me to do.

I said we were going to build subways to Scarborough and that is exactly what we are doing.

The City of Toronto and the Province of Ontario are now ready to build transit.

This is great news and a huge victory for all of us. Scarborough will finally get its subway.

I look forward to continuing a strong working relationship with the Premier and the Province of Ontario.

Moving forward, my administration will keep working with the Province of Ontario and the Government of Canada to continue expanding Toronto’s transit system.

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/09/04/ontario-pledges-funds-for-part-of-scarborough-subway-line/

Seems Ford is ok with this plan. This guy doesn't care if the subway only has one stop as long as he can campaign saying that he got a subway to Scarborough built, no matter how useless it is. You gotta love this guy.

Statement from Mayor Rob Ford:

I campaigned on extending the Bloor-Danforth Subway Line to the Scarborough Town Centre. I want to thank the Province for helping me deliver on that promise.

Over the last four years, I have fought against the LRT for a subway to Scarborough – because that is what Scarborough residents asked me to do.

I said we were going to build subways to Scarborough and that is exactly what we are doing.

The City of Toronto and the Province of Ontario are now ready to build transit.

This is great news and a huge victory for all of us. Scarborough will finally get its subway.

I look forward to continuing a strong working relationship with the Premier and the Province of Ontario.

Moving forward, my administration will keep working with the Province of Ontario and the Government of Canada to continue expanding Toronto’s transit system.

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/09/04/ontario-pledges-funds-for-part-of-scarborough-subway-line/

He can even add in that he worked hard to deliver the subway to Scarborough without any direct contribution from Toronto taxpayers.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/04/city-hall-slams-shortened-scarborough-subway

Murray also accused the Stephen Harper Conservatives of stinginess. However, a federal government spokesman stressed a letter from Ford stated council was expecting a response from Ottawa about the subway by Sept. 30.

“We are surprised by Minister Murray’s repeated press conferences which we believe are counterproductive,” said Michèle-Jamali Paquette.

He could have waited for September 30th for the Feds' answer. The Liberals are just playing politics and pissing off the Feds before they came with a proposition was just a way to sabotage city council's proposal and score cheap political points against the Federal government... Go luck asking anything from the Feds from now...

As for Glen Murray...he's a dick

Back