News   Jul 15, 2024
 184     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 402     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 541     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

I know/hope that's a joke but to clarify for others they were talking about connections to future transit along the corridor, so probably a Peterborough go line or something and not an extensions
That's how I interpreted it.

Also found it interesting that they are not only looking at provisions for a future Sheppard line extension to Mccowan but also for future transit along the cp rail corridor just north of Sheppard-McCowan station
Extending it at grade to Malvern centre is definitely not the worst idea in the world.

Line 4 that is. Not line 2. A line 4 extension to malvern at some point makes perfect sense to run at grade
Think I'd be fine with either but think I'd prefer line 2. A line 2 extension would give people in Malvern a direct route to Scarborough Centre and downtown like they've long wanted. Might have more engineering challenges getting from underground to grade and making that turn from McCowan to the rail corridor though, not sure. But also using line 4 would make for a very tricky connection with line 2 at McCowan.

Last edited:
Think I'd be fine with either but think I'd prefer line 2. A line 2 extension would give people in Malvern a direct route to Scarborough Centre and downtown like they've long wanted. Might have more engineering challenges getting from underground to grade and making that turn from McCowan to the rail corridor though, not sure. But also using line 4 would make for a very tricky connection with line 2 at McCowan.
How would that be tricky? and i think it'd be better to keep line 2 headed northward for any future extensions. There may one day be the grounds for line 2 to continue up Mccowan to Parkville or something in the very distant future

How would that be tricky?
Because the rail corridor is ~500m north of the future Line 2 McCowan station at Sheppard. It would be problematic for transferring between lines 2 and 4 unless line 2 is extended further, and I'm not sure another line 2 station only 500m away from McCowan would be justified given the built form in the area.

Because the rail corridor is ~500m north of the future Line 2 McCowan station at Sheppard. It would be problematic for transferring between lines 2 and 4 unless line 2 is extended further, and I'm not sure another line 2 station only 500m away from McCowan would be justified given the built form in the area.
oh i imagined line 4 only running along that rail corridor past McCowan cus ur right it is too far to have it connect with line 2 at mccowan

Efficient at burning money
Isn't it still the cheapest option of all the new transit builds?? How would a 7 stop LRT in Scarborough be burning money, Scarborough has so few ttc stations and lines. It takes me 20-30minutes just to get to kennedy station every day

Isn't it still the cheapest option of all the new transit builds?? How would a 7 stop LRT in Scarborough be burning money, Scarborough has so few ttc stations and lines. It takes me 20-30minutes just to get to kennedy station every day
Because SRT Refurbishment most likely would've been way cheaper and more effective.

cheapest to build anew, but when there's already an existing system the lrt costs more. With extensions the set refurbishment and let plan would likely cost around the same but the srt would provide a higher capacity and higher quality experience (higher quality is my opinion tho)

With the SRT being shut down, GO Transit (trains AND buses) and the TTC should consider a shared fare or discount between them in Scarborough.
1615926593880.png

From link.

The 7 stop lrt route was always the best / efficient plan and that's what should still be facilitated
its-dead-jim.jpg

No chance on line 2 to Malvern. York Region will get it to Markham just as soon as the Yonge extension is finished.

No chance on line 2 to Malvern. York Region will get it to Markham just as soon as the Yonge extension is finished.

Maybe if it is fully above ground. That would be a pretty expensive extension. I could so OL being extended to York sooner.

Maybe if it is fully above ground. That would be a pretty expensive extension. I could so OL being extended to York sooner.
That assumes the OL will become a reality. I see Ford losing next year and next government going back to the city's DRL plan.

That assumes the OL will become a reality. I see Ford losing next year and next government going back to the city's DRL plan.
The timeline for procurement of vehicles and south construction will be mid 2022. One would presume before the election. That leaves the North which they could put underground, and the option of cancellation / renegotiation of contract in the south and with the chosen rolling stock which would have penalties.

Back