News   May 01, 2024
 560     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 236     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 312     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

At this point cancelling either Ontario Line or SSE is suicide. no matter how its done it will look like what Bill davis? Did in the 80's filling in eglinton subway

Bill Davis, who retired as Premier of Ontario in 1985, and at the age of 91 is still alive, did not fill in the Eglinton Subway. The villain in that act was Mike Harris. From Wikipedia:

Eglinton West line - Wikipedia​

en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Eglinton_West_line

The Eglinton West line was a proposed east–west subway line in Toronto, Ontario, Canada ... and Black Creek Drive; however, work was halted in 1995 when the newly elected Government of Ontario under Mike Harris cancelled the project.

At this point cancelling either Ontario Line or SSE or Network 2011, or the under construction Eglinton Subway or Scarborough LRT or Downtown Relief Line is suicide. no matter how its done it will look like what Bill davis? Did in the 80's filling in eglinton subway

Fixed that for you. ;)

I don't recall Davis cancelling anything. It was his replacement, Miller, who was quick to cancel projects that Davis was pushing - like GO-ALRT.

Back when the Progressive Conservatives were "PROGRESSIVE", no longer.

Fifty years ago, Bill Davis killed the Spadina Expressway. Doug Ford should do the same to Highway 413​

From link.

Fifty years ago, Ontario premier Bill Davis halted the Spadina Expressway.

The northern end of the highway was already partially built; the south section was about to start ripping through the heart of Toronto. With opposition mounting, the rookie premier stepped in. “If we are building a transportation system to serve the automobile,” Mr. Davis said, announcing the project’s cancellation, “the Spadina Expressway would be a good place to start. But if we are building a transportation system to serve people, the Spadina Expressway is a good place to stop.”

As a result, central Toronto was not bisected by a series of sprawl-encouraging, neighbourhood-devouring superhighways. What wasn’t built shaped Toronto for the better.
austin-3.png

From link.

True - but at the moment the OL, SSE and EWLRT don't have shovels in the ground either.
They're already clearing trees for EWLRT. Construction of the launch shaft will begin this summer. By the time the next election rolls around, shovels would've been in the ground for both SSE and EWLRT for a year.

They're already clearing trees for EWLRT. Construction of the launch shaft will begin this summer. By the time the next election rolls around, shovels would've been in the ground for both SSE and EWLRT for a year.
OL should also have shovels in the ground too. Should almost be a year in with work at exhibition and bridges over the don if they keep to the current public schedule

At this point cancelling either Ontario Line or SSE is suicide. no matter how its done it will look like what Bill davis? Did in the 80's filling in eglinton subway

Fixed that for you. ;)

To be fair only one of those had shovels in the ground

True - but at the moment the OL, SSE and EWLRT don't have shovels in the ground either.

OL should also have shovels in the ground too. Should almost be a year in with work at exhibition and bridges over the don if they keep to the current public schedule

The Sheppard East LRT also has shovels in the ground. The Eglinton West Line has shovels in the ground as well (no, not Crosstown West, but rather the other subway line we're building on Eglinton West) :)

Point being, shovels in the ground isn't a particularity useful metric, and it hans't stopped project from being canceled before. I wouldn't depend on any particular project being built until contracts of substantial financial value (in excess of hundreds of millions of dollars) are signed.

The Scarborough Subway will not be canceled. The Ontario Line has a relatively high chance of being canceled given the delays in its procurement process (I'm not saying it WILL be canceled, just that it has a pretty substantial chance of being canceled).

Reactions: syn
The Sheppard East LRT also has shovels in the ground. The Eglinton West Line has shovels in the ground as well (no, not Crosstown West, but rather the other subway line we're building on Eglinton West) :)

Point being, shovels in the ground isn't a particularity useful metric, and it hans't stopped project from being canceled before. I wouldn't depend on any particular project being built until contracts of substantial financial value (in excess of hundreds of millions of dollars) are signed.

The Scarborough Subway will not be canceled. The Ontario Line has a relatively high chance of being canceled given the delays in its procurement process (I'm not saying it WILL be canceled, just that it has a pretty substantial chance of being canceled).
Hopefully Ford is re-elected and we can finally get these projects through. As unpalatable as the prospect of Ford being re-elected may be to many on this forum, having political continuity is crucial to anything being built.

Hopefully Ford is re-elected and we can finally get these projects through. As unpalatable as the prospect of Ford being re-elected may be to many on this forum, having political continuity is crucial to anything being built.
Thats a yikes from me dawg

You have to realize the only reason why theese projects are going forward are more akin to authoritarian policies right? He says were doing it so were doing it

In any case, if i recall correctly last january during the liberal leadership debates the question was asked whether they will continue projects like the SSE and OL.

They answered they will keep the current projects going.

Thats a yikes from me dawg

You have to realize the only reason why theese projects are going forward are more akin to authoritarian policies right? He says were doing it so were doing it
lol other than Gen Z, who says "yikes"?

In any case, if i recall correctly last january during the liberal leadership debates the question was asked whether they will continue projects like the SSE and OL.

They answered they will keep the current projects going.
lol I thought we're being told constantly on this forum that any project can be cancelled up until the last minute? Personally I set very little stock in anything Del Duca has to say based on his track record under Wynne.

Back