News   Jul 15, 2024
 98     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 351     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 536     0 

Danforth Line 2 Scarborough Subway Extension

Maybe if it is fully above ground. That would be a pretty expensive extension. I could so OL being extended to York sooner.
That's why I half jokingly said "Line 2 to Cornell" when the idea of using the CP corridor came up. With the exception of the Portal, the extension would be fairly cheap to build and since it runs through Greenfield and existing corridors, you woudn't have to pay for much property acquisition. Unfortunately by the time such an idea would be brought up the entire area will be covered in sprawl so you'd probably have to bury it which would ruin the point. Folks this is why you should be building transit ahead of development rather than following it.
That assumes the OL will become a reality. I see Ford losing next year and next government going back to the city's DRL plan.
Ford losing is a massive if. While anything is possible in politics, atm he is leading in the polls, and he would have to either A) Have a major scandal that would turn the election into a referendum on him as a premier, or B) The NDP pull a serious rabbit out of their hat. The Liberals sort of shot themselves in the foot by nominating Del Duca as party leader which will be seen by many as leftover of the Wynne years which would seriously hurt him when polling time comes, and at best would split the vote with the NDP. As a bonus, I've heard rumblings recently that the OPC started mandating election time training for all of their staff members so we might see a snap election happening soon leaving very little time for the NDP to prepare a proper campaign.

As for the OL itself, I doubt at this point that even if Ford loses in 2022 that it's going to get cancelled. Many of the financial contracts would be signed by then making it extremely risky for any party to cancel the plan, and I think at this point the Ontario Line is further along in the design phase than the DRL was. As a bonus, based off the open houses from the days of the DRL and how quickly the plan came together after the election leads me to believe that the Ontario Line was something metrolinx was working on long before Ford came into power and all Ford did was rubber stamping, which means there is quite likely a lot of enthusiasm from Metrolinx to stick to the plan.

TLDR - Its far from Guaranteed that Ford will lose the election, and even if he does, its unlikely the OL will be cancelled.

With the SRT being shut down, GO Transit (trains AND buses) and the TTC should consider a shared fare or discount between them in Scarborough.
View attachment 306198
From link.
They said they were looking into offering go-ttc transfers of something functionally similar in Scarborough at the live meeting yesterday

I don't see the Ontario Line being cancelled at this point. There might be some things changed around, like maybe the routing west of Osgoode or the elevation of the Science Centre terminus, but I get the sense that as long as Metrolinx has jurisdiction over the project and not the TTC, the plan we have is more or less the plan that will be followed.

The Scarborough extension, on the other hand, is not quite as set in stone, but the window for changing course is rapidly closing at this point. Too bad that most opponents of the plan are less focused on the overblown budget and more focused on trying to revive the system that their own actions had a part in killing.

That's why I half jokingly said "Line 2 to Cornell" when the idea of using the CP corridor came up. With the exception of the Portal, the extension would be fairly cheap to build and since it runs through Greenfield and existing corridors, you woudn't have to pay for much property acquisition. Unfortunately by the time such an idea would be brought up the entire area will be covered in sprawl so you'd probably have to bury it which would ruin the point. Folks this is why you should be building transit ahead of development rather than following it.
Even if we are not building transit ahead of time, we should have the same foresight to plan for transit and make it easy to add later. He can do it for all manner of other infrastructure like highways, sewer/water, etc. but the best we can do for transit is leave room for busways along highways.

Even if we are not building transit ahead of time, we should have the same foresight to plan for transit and make it easy to add later. He can do it for all manner of other infrastructure like highways, sewer/water, etc. but the best we can do for transit is leave room for busways along highways.
I think the main issue is NIMBYism. One of the major issues we might see with the East Bayfront LRT is that with a phased opening approach, its entirely possible we might never see the extensions to Commissioners or Polson because by the time we reach the point where those are planned to be built, all of the development will be in place and there will be a ton of local protest to more streetcars. Saving space for transit is a really good option and a smart one, but there are risks to it either way.

I don't see the Ontario Line being cancelled at this point. There might be some things changed around, like maybe the routing west of Osgoode or the elevation of the Science Centre terminus, but I get the sense that as long as Metrolinx has jurisdiction over the project and not the TTC, the plan we have is more or less the plan that will be followed.

The Scarborough extension, on the other hand, is not quite as set in stone, but the window for changing course is rapidly closing at this point. Too bad that most opponents of the plan are less focused on the overblown budget and more focused on trying to revive the system that their own actions had a part in killing.
I'd say the Scarborough is far more set in stone given early construction will be starting in a few weeks. The amount of backlash the government would get from cancelling a project that's already been under construction fora year would be way more than they'd get for doing the same to a project that's just breaking ground. I think both are pretty set in stone.

I'd say the Scarborough is far more set in stone given early construction will be starting in a few weeks. The amount of backlash the government would get from cancelling a project that's already been under construction fora year would be way more than they'd get for doing the same to a project that's just breaking ground. I think both are pretty set in stone.
I can't see why anyone would celebrate cancelling OL. It would just be out of spite if it gets cancelled now. I think running these projects through Metrolinx helps to make specific proposals a little less political and easier for future governments to follow through on them.

I can't see why anyone would celebrate cancelling OL. It would just be out of spite if it gets cancelled now. I think running these projects through Metrolinx helps to make specific proposals a little less political and easier for future governments to follow through on them.
I mean nimbys along the at or above grade segment might celebrate. I think there's almost a zero percent chance of either being cancelled but out of the two projects i think ol is more likely just because it isn't as far along and also has a popular alternative.

The only project we haven't hard much on is the Yonge North extension. These 3 (SSE, Eg West and OL) are going to be contracted out well before the next election.

The only project we haven't hard much on is the Yonge North extension. These 3 (SSE, Eg West and OL) are going to be contracted out well before the next election.
I think that's because its the safest project. With EW, SSE, and OL, these projects are contentious and could easily be changed by a new government, so fast tracking it is a priority. Pretty much every party supports Yonge North so the pressure to fast track it isn't there unfortunately.
and Sheppard east... we haven't heard anything from Sheppard east... rip
Sheppard East is pure lip service atm, it isn't even included in the 4 priority subway projects.

I think that's because its the safest project. With EW, SSE, and OL, these projects are contentious and could easily be changed by a new government, so fast tracking it is a priority. Pretty much every party supports Yonge North so the pressure to fast track it isn't there unfortunately.

Sheppard East is pure lip service atm, it isn't even included in the 4 priority subway projects.
ik. I hope they're at least doing studies behind the scenes to make sure it happens one day

Ford losing is a massive if. While anything is possible in politics, atm he is leading in the polls, and he would have to either A) Have a major scandal that would turn the election into a referendum on him as a premier, or B) The NDP pull a serious rabbit out of their hat. The Liberals sort of shot themselves in the foot by nominating Del Duca as party leader which will be seen by many as leftover of the Wynne years which would seriously hurt him when polling time comes, and at best would split the vote with the NDP. As a bonus, I've heard rumblings recently that the OPC started mandating election time training for all of their staff members so we might see a snap election happening soon leaving very little time for the NDP to prepare a proper campaign.

As for the OL itself, I doubt at this point that even if Ford loses in 2022 that it's going to get cancelled. Many of the financial contracts would be signed by then making it extremely risky for any party to cancel the plan, and I think at this point the Ontario Line is further along in the design phase than the DRL was. As a bonus, based off the open houses from the days of the DRL and how quickly the plan came together after the election leads me to believe that the Ontario Line was something metrolinx was working on long before Ford came into power and all Ford did was rubber stamping, which means there is quite likely a lot of enthusiasm from Metrolinx to stick to the plan.

TLDR - Its far from Guaranteed that Ford will lose the election, and even if he does, its unlikely the OL will be cancelled.
At this point cancelling either Ontario Line or SSE is suicide. no matter how its done it will look like what Bill davis? Did in the 80's filling in eglinton subway

Back