News   Apr 25, 2024
 145     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

COMING SOON! Bridging the Design Gap - a UT design charette

Exactly where will this newly-designed bridge be?

MetroMan: Can you post a map or drawing showing where this new bridge will be located? Also showing the present overpasses over the Union Station rail corridor will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance-LI MIKE

Go to this Map. Then make your way towards the right of the map and you'll see them all as you go along.

Bathurst bridge, the new bridge will go between Portland & Draper, then Spadina, then Blue Jays Way, then there's an unnamed bridge next to the SkyDome (Rogers Centre), then there's an inclosed glass bridge that links the North Convention Centre to its South counterpart, and finally you have the SkyWalk which is also enclosed and has an excellent view of the Union Station train shed.

I like this one.......
PRJ_SPEC_MN_greensideªplaceª03.jpg

http://www.burohappold.com/BH/PRJ_INF_greenside_place_bridge.aspx

That's a nice bridge. But something needs to be on top to cover from rain and snow.

I wonder how it would look if the walkway was something similar to Chicago O'hare's walk way where the rings of colours flow from one end to the other and the top is sealed with a semi circle glass.

Good Bridge location info-Thanks!

MetroMan: Thanks for that map link-I forgot about the overpasses built for the opening of the Rogers SkyDome in the late 80s-something I should have remembered from my Spring 1990 visit when I attended Blue Jays games there.
When did the SkyWalk passageway w/the view of the rail tracks near the W end of Union Station open?
Is the Bathurst bridge up for replacement?
I feel that a memorable bridge be built in the named location-as mentioned trainspotters DO have other venues to railfan in that area.
Thanks again-LI MIKE

Last edited:
I'm not sure when the Skywalk opened as it was already built when I arrived in Toronto in 2000.

The Bathurst bridge is up for replacement, but not the truss bridge part. It's the concrete overpass that follows it.

will voting still be allowed after the hand in deadline? if so, for how long?

will voting still be allowed after the hand in deadline? if so, for how long?

I think it would make sense to have voting open after all the submissions are in. Otherwise, early submissions would have a head start on voting, thus likely having more votes. Also, submissions arriving on the last day would have no time to receive votes.

I'm sure voting will remain open until a certain, yet unspecified date.

thought so as well, but just wanted to make sure. ;)

Here's the new schedule after the submission deadline was extended:

SUBMISSIONS CLOSE: Wednesday June 3, 2009 at 6 pm.

POLLS/VOTING CLOSE: Friday June 12, 2009 at 6 pm.

DESIGN OF DISTINCTION ANNOUNCED: Monday June 15, 2009

Ugh...

I had just finished my design, and then my computer got fried, and I lost every file I had.

My design was a cable stayed bridge with two "towers" on the south side which were influenced by this:
jarvis_west8-dtah_book_page_22_image_0003-web.jpg

Both towers connected at their tips, and at that point was were all of the cables were connected.

The bridge was partly enclosed by glass at an angle outwards (think of the bottom of the AGO's Dundas facade)
I was going to have lights shining up each cable, along the glass, and also up the towers.

Its too bad... I almost finished my vray renderings too :(

I think it would make sense to have voting open after all the submissions are in. Otherwise, early submissions would have a head start on voting, thus likely having more votes. Also, submissions arriving on the last day would have no time to receive votes.

I'm sure voting will remain open until a certain, yet unspecified date.

I was just going to say the same, but realized you already said it, so I have to agree.

Back