- Apr 24, 2007
Yes it's true.... Urban Toronto is taking action! Please read carefully and see how you can help.
RE: the proposed box truss bridge over the rail corridor: Toronto's own Urban Design guidelines for the Railway Lands West & Central (June 2004) state that a design competition should be held for this (Cityplace) permanent pedestrian bridge and include “Landmarking” or identification features such as the verticals of the John Street bridge, or the arch of the Humber River pedestrian/cycling bridge.[/COLOR][/B]
CONTACT US - we can be reached the following ways:
1. info@BridgingtheDesignGap.com (main email address is already active)
2. mark@BridgingtheDesignGap.com (mark is supervising the contact list)
3. post in this thread
WHAT: UrbanToronto's response to the unacceptable plans for the CityPlace box truss pedestrian bridge across the rail corridor.
"Bridging the Design Gap" - an on-line pedestrian bridge design charrette that invites participants to "think outside the box... truss".
WHO: a small working group of UT members has developed the charrette during the past weeks, but we need your help (see below).
1. A dedicated charrette website will go live. BridgingtheDesignGap.com will be launched in a week containing background information, submission guidelines and resources for participants. Some draft sample pages (flat jpeg only) are posted at the end of this thread.
2. The Charrette at Urban Toronto
As design submissions are received, they will be posted in this new Charrette section at Urban Toronto along with a poll. A design of distinction will selected via 50% of UT poll/vote results and 50% of votes from an invited jury.
The Charrette Section:
-one general discussion thread will be established (with links to the charrette website).
-each submission received will have a dedicated thread plus a poll.
-comments and voting are encouraged from forum members however no other threads will be posted in this section.
LAUNCH DAY - Friday April 24
SUBMISSIONS CLOSE: Wednesday June 3rd
POLLING CLOSE: Friday June 12th
DESIGN OF DISTINCTION WINNER*: Monday June 15th
*based on 50% invited jury, 50% UT polls
WE NEED YOUR HELP - here's what you can do:
1. Contact list - help us grow this list. The contact list is the single most critical element of the charrette. Suggestions are welcome however it would be most appreciated if you could take the time to source accurate contact information for your suggestions (our plate is full). Email contact info is most desirable.
Specifically, we are looking for:
a) Media suggestions - we have the obvious ones but any suggestions re: university press, appropriate trade publications, newsletters, blogs..... anything that would be a good a fit for the charrette.
b) Submission/participation - the press release will be adapted as an "invitation" - please post contact suggestions that are skewed/targeted to possible participants, professional and student/amateur - architects, engineers, planning/architecture depts., arts depts., internet forums etc.
c) Pro bono advertising, sponsor support, prize donations - any leads you can provide re: donated web banners, print remainder space etc. are very welcome. Same goes for direct sponsorship, prize donations etc.
2. Participate in the charrette - here's your chance to step up to the plate, support UrbanToronto and raise a little hell.
a) submit a design concept - though the guidlelines are informal, jokes aren't encouraged
b) vote - follow submission threads and vote, comment, critique
c) promote the charrette - write about it in your blog, generate traffic to the charrette website and to the dedicated charrette section at UrbanToronto (friends,family, co-workers, anyone who might be interested)
d) we welcome any other volunteer support you can think of to promote the charrette.
In the coming days a press release will be posted here that you can use as a resource to promote the design charrette.
SAMPLE WEB PAGES (Note: draft examples only FYI)