News   Apr 16, 2024
 118     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.3K     5 

COMING SOON! Bridging the Design Gap - a UT design charette

I wish I had the ability to draw or design something for this before it closed. I sketched a really bad drawing of an idea I had, but I don't have any way to get it to look good haha.

After all the submissions are in, this thread should be a poll to see which design is the best.

The first page of this thread, the press release and the charette website clearly indicate, each submission will be assessed based on 50% of UT polls and 50% from an invited jury (using a similar rating system).

Surely clicking a vote button after viewing a submission isn't too much work for forum members given the effort made by designers.

Congratulations to all the entries, fantastic work.

I will be reviewing and submitting my votes over the coming days.

3D and all others who helped to organize - thank you!

I must say that I am thoroughly impressed on how well this competition turned out. I rated more than half above 5 which is to say I thought more than half were suitable enough that I wouldn't mind seeing them permanently installed in the city.

There were five that really stood out in my mind. The Braided Strands, Weaving the Gap, Arch Bridge, Water & Ice, and Ribs & Glass. I had really mixed feelings on the Arch Bridge in that the pedestrian environment was wonderful but along the corridor it looked a little massive... like it needed some embellishments on the side or some vines. Ribs & Glass was simple but by embracing the shape fully it looks quite futuristic and turned out well in my opinion. I loved the blue glass and the waves in Water & Ice... this submission probably meets the affordability criteria quite well but with excellent result. Weaving the Gap flows incredibly well and looks nice from many angles. The Braided Strands looks like something out of the waterfront plans and I love how it has different surfaces with one dedicated to cyclists.

Amazing. I wonder if city councillors and the TWRC shouldn't/couldn't be prodded into funding a certain percentage of the costs of this bridge. It seems like something that would have high visibility for a long long time and which provides an access corridor to the waterfront.

Thanks for the thoughful reply Enviro. We are particularly pleased to see the wonderful design contributions from the UT family.

As for the membership at large... when we reached out to ask for help launching the charette... no one responded.

Now that there are some compelling images to work with, perhaps UT members will step up to the plate and help spread the word. Send your favourites to your councilor, any media contacts you know, Cityplace residents and any other stakeholder you can think of (GO, Concord, Planning etc.).

Obviously we will be working this story on and after June 15th.

What ever happened to this bridge? Adam Vaughan promised that it wouldn't be a truss bridge and that we'd soon see the final design. That was a year ago... The Fort York bridge is designed and funded in this year's budget while this one fell off the radar.

I hear that a community meeting will soon be planned to unveil the "non-truss bridge". Supposedly lots of problems with GO Transit is the delay.

Meeting is going to be announced for Monday, May 17th according to friends of mine in the neighbourhood. And.....don't expect too much for the bridge's design. Alot of pink lipstick I hear.

I believe the piers for the bridge may have been poured a couple of months ago. I need to get a pic to see if this makes sense or not.

Back