News   Jul 03, 2024
 505     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1.1K     3 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

One remaining question that I thought would be obvious but has managed to escape our discussion is: Where are the satellite dishes?

This is a TV station: How is it going to broadcast its signal to satellites to then distribute it to the UHF broadcasting stations (and other distributers) and into our homes? Where are the receiving dishes to pick up live signal from the news vans?

The Western sky is blocked from the top of the main building (blocked by the HNR building). The only place they could put satellites and have an unobstructed view of geostationary satellites in the western sky would be on the Torch itself. So either we're going to see a really cool use of the torch tower or Rogers has rented rooftop space in a tall building very close by (HNR, Bond Place).

One remaining question that I thought would be obvious but has managed to escape our discussion is: Where are the satellite dishes?

This is a TV station: How is it going to broadcast its signal to satellites to then distribute it to the UHF broadcasting stations (and other distributers) and into our homes? Where are the receiving dishes to pick up live signal from the news vans?

The Western sky is blocked from the top of the main building (blocked by the HNR building). The only place they could put satellites and have an unobstructed view of geostationary satellites in the western sky would be on the Torch itself. So either we're going to see a really cool use of the torch tower or Rogers has rented rooftop space in a tall building very close by (HNR, Bond Place).

They would probably pipe the connection down to the Lakeshore studios where OMNI old home is.

TV is just a series of tubes...

They would probably pipe the connection down to the Lakeshore studios where OMNI old home is.

You realize how far that is right? You're suggesting they rip up 4KM of public sidewalk all the way down victoria/yonge and along lakeshore to bathurst and run a cable?

I'm not sure you thought that through quite well. :rolleyes:

Looking from above, the Bond Place Hotel would be the best option if Rogers wasn't using the terrace for their weather centre.

picture1ilv.png

Here's the current "fleet" of dishes:

picture2tzb.png

I'm very curious to know how they're going to solve that in their much smaller footprint.

You realize how far that is right? You're suggesting they rip up 4KM of public sidewalk all the way down victoria/yonge and along lakeshore to bathurst and run a cable?

I'm not sure you thought that through quite well. :rolleyes:

The infrastructure is already there. It's going to be downtown so there would be a fiber-optic network already in place they can buy or they can use the existing rogers cable network(the high speed network they save for themselves).

I'm not sure you didn't think of that. :rolleyes:;)

Good points... but considering Rogers' reliability for hi-speed internet ;) lol

Looking around the area, I think the best candidate would actually be Toronto Life Square. They have a vast rooftop only speckled with HVAC's here and there. There's plenty of room for dishes and it's right across the street.

This is a TV station: How is it going to broadcast its signal to satellites to then distribute it to the UHF broadcasting stations (and other distributers) and into our homes?

They'll send their signals to the leslie street teleport, where the uplink dishes are, as it's currently done. Or distribute it via their own network.

Most networks use some form of distribution over DS3 (SONET) instead of satellite time.

Last edited:
They'll send their signals to the leslie street teleport, where the uplink dishes are, as it's currently done. Or distribute it via their own network.

Most networks use some form of distribution over DS3 (SONET) instead of satellite time.

Thanks for the technical details AGTO.

In the meantime, some journalists are now at their new desks. Control room staff are getting used to their new quarters in the basement before moving permanently there next week.

On screen talent isn't scheduled to move in until mid August.

CityTV occupies only the southwest section of the building, with the exception of BT in the studio on Queen Street. They have probably the same amount of space in the new building, shared with OMNI, of course. And with master control out in the Lakeshore building, it frees up a lot of room.

Back