News   Jul 03, 2024
 545     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 03, 2024
 1.2K     4 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

^ Aug 17 for BT still stands but CityNews is iffy for that date.

By the way, the weather station is ready. They have the green weather wall, cameras, the control centre in the basement. They could start broadcasting the weather starting today if they wanted to. I guess they want to keep the entire news team together though.

^ Aug 17 for BT still stands but CityNews is iffy for that date.

By the way, the weather station is ready. They have the green weather wall, cameras, the control centre in the basement. They could start broadcasting the weather starting today if they wanted to. I guess they want to keep the entire news team together though.

Aug 17 is a Monday, bet you Citynews moves in the Friday on or before Aug 14

The building doesn't look even nearly finished. They haven't even covered up the HVAC units yet. I can't believe they are moving in so soon.

The TV personalities are not moving in. They're just moving in executive and admin staff, journalists and some editing & technical engineers.

From today until Aug 17, a lot can happen, and that won't be the full move. It'll only be BT. The street level floor and that studio are substantially complete.

The outside can still be worked on while the inside has the majority done.
They did a ton of work on the Chum building a couple of years ago on the inside while still broadcasting.

I would presume that they are training - or rehearsing using real bodies in a new space so that the director of the show can determine the right spaces to be used on camera, where cameras will be positioned, that feeds are functioning properly, lighting is setup and corrected and on & on. I think it would be akin to making a film or live theatre, the talent doesn't just walk in front of a camera or onto a stage and wing it. There's plenty of preparation and rehearsal involved for what we see on screen and a mass amount of work & preparation that also goes on behind the scenes.

^ You said it all. That's exactly what's going on.

Along with all that, more specifically they're currently trying to find the best angle to position the cameras so we don't see the ass end of the square so much. Right now, the view outside the new BT window is of a parking garage entrance and the back of the (very ugly) stage.

I don't have any inside info on this particular issue (just on the logistics of the move) but I think their best bet is straight up Dundas Sq (the street) or towards the curved window where you'll see part of the square, and Toronto Life Square with all the foot traffic around that area.

This last angle has the downside of being mostly blocked by the foot of the torch which is a blank wall right now. The advent of widescreen TV doesn't help much either :eek:

Perhaps Rogers will be the force needed to lobby for a better stage, like the one originally envisioned. The stage was meant to be flexible in choosing which is "the front end". They could have a performance or show facing the new CityTV building for example.

Last edited:
^ You said it all. That's exactly what's going on.

Along with all that, more specifically they're currently trying to find the best angle to position the cameras so we don't see the ass end of the square so much. Right now, the view outside the new BT window is of a parking garage entrance and the back of the (very ugly) stage.

I don't have any inside info on this particular issue (just on the logistics of the move) but I think their best bet is straight up Dundas Sq (the street) or towards the curved window where you'll see part of the square, and Toronto Life Square with all the foot traffic around that area.

This last angle has the downside of being mostly blocked by the foot of the torch which is a blank wall right now. The advent of widescreen TV doesn't help much either :eek:

Perhaps Rogers will be the force needed to lobby for a better stage, like the one originally envisioned. The stage was meant to be flexible in choosing which is "the front end". They could have a performance or show facing the new CityTV building for example.

I would imagine, also, with all of the advertising around the Square you would want to make sure you were not, either, giving away free ad time to companies you were wooing as show sponsors or (worse) giving air time to a sign advertising a competitor of one of your current sponsors!

Well, St.Patrick's variety store would beg to differ :p They've been in CityTV's live programming for years. :)

P.S. I've seen CTV playing on one of the screens behind the news anchor in CityNews several times..lol

I can see that happening. The Young BIA was happy when they learned that Citytv/OMNI was moving in a year or two ago. They would probley bend over backwards for a short while after Citytv officially moves in.

The stage could be hydraulic, like the one at the Princess of Wales or North York Centre for the Performing Arts. It could be flush with the square when not in use, or raised during a performance

Back