News   Jul 23, 2024
 508     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 572     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 2.7K     3 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

Let me summarize. It is safe and fair to say that both corporations, Rogers and CTV, are pure evil soulless gangsters intent on devastating all that is true and pure in the world. Also, they smell like poo.

So happy we've cleared that up.

thats fair, as long as we can add Canwest to that list.

Stock is at $0.105 WOW talk about losing everything. Curious, what happens when a stock hits zero, does the certificate in my desk implode?

thats fair, as long as we can add Canwest to that list.

Stock is at $0.105 WOW talk about losing everything. Curious, what happens when a stock hits zero, does the certificate in my desk implode?

It magically turns in to toilet paper.

Question is, does Citytv retain the rights to Speaker's Corner?

Yes, Rogers kept anything that was produce by the Citytv for Citytv network.

Let me summarize. It is safe and fair to say that both corporations, Rogers and CTV, are pure evil soulless gangsters intent on devastating all that is true and pure in the world. Also, they smell like poo.

So happy we've cleared that up.

Couldn't have put it better myself.:D

Of course their evil, that's business;). But has anyone notice that CTV only goes after Rogers as a example for their fight and not Bell?

Yes, Rogers kept anything that was produce by the Citytv for Citytv network.

Couldn't have put it better myself.:D

Of course their evil, that's business;). But has anyone notice that CTV only goes after Rogers as a example for their fight and not Bell?

Actually Bell is named in the suit before the CRTC, they just haven't been as vocal as Rogers in their distaste.

There is an awful lot of shared ownership between CTV and Bell.....it is a lot easier for CTV execs to paint Rogers and other cable companies as the bad guy than point the finger across the hall at Bell and the other sattelite guys!

Around the time of the CHUM purchase, Bell's ownership stake reduced but it is still fairly significant....in fact, the company now known as CTV Globemedia used to be known as Bell Globemedia!

It is also worth keeping in mind for people who criticize the awkward situation of Rogers owning stations/networks at the same time they own a distribution system....the same finger can be pointed at the people at (Bell) CTV Globemedia.

Of note, is that entwined in the convoluted ownership of the Bell/CTV conglomaration is ownership of (or by) two of the nation's largest newspapers (Torstar and the Globe and Mail are involved) so one has to also question motives when the print journalists take aim at Rogers' control of content and distribution without also noting that Rogers are not alone in this situation.

Yes, Bell still has a small portion of CTVGlobeMedia, not exactly sure, but I believe the number is a 15% stake. The majority of CTVgm is owned by the Thompson Group(40%) and Teachers Pension(25%). TorStar owns the Globe and Star, they have a 20% stake in CTVgm.

Rogers broadcasting is entirely owned by Rogers Communication where as both Bell and TorStar own a small stake in CTVgm with no controlling interest. Hardly the same thing.

my mistake you are correct.....

THOMPSON GROUP>100%
WOODBRIDGE COMPANY LTD> 100%
1565117 ONTARIO LTD>40%
CTVgm(CTVgm Publishing/Globe and Mail)
which own 100%
> CTV ltd (chum)
> CTV broadcasting (CTV television/specialty)

Last edited:
With all due respect, you guys are posting in the wrong thread. This thread is about the construction of the new CityTV/OMNI HQ. Please create a thread in General Issues for your conversation on the CRTC/GlobeMedia/Rogers/Bell.

Thanks.

my mistake you are correct.....

THOMPSON GROUP>100%
WOODBRIDGE COMPANY LTD> 100%
1565117 ONTARIO LTD>40%
CTVgm(CTVgm Publishing/Globe and Mail)
which own 100%
> CTV ltd (chum)
> CTV broadcasting (CTV television/specialty)

Just to clarify this point - Torstar quite definitely owns 20% of CTVGlobemedia, the ultimate owner of the Globe and Mail. From the Torstar website: "Torstar acquired a 20% interest in CTVglobemedia in 2006 for $283 million. Subsequent to this investment, CYVglobemedia acquired CHUM Limited with Torstar participating in this transaction by subscribing for $94 million of additional equity to maintain its 20% interest in CTVglobemedia. The CHUM transaction closed in June 2007 after meeting the regulatory requirement to divest the Citytv stations, which were sold to Rogers Communciations." Source: http://www.torstar.com/about_business.php

With all due respect, you guys are posting in the wrong thread. This thread is about the construction of the new CityTV/OMNI HQ. Please create a thread in General Issues for your conversation on the CRTC/GlobeMedia/Rogers/Bell.

Thanks.

As much as I agree with you, be very careful what you say. People will think you're acting like a mod.

As the hoarding comes down, some staff will begin moving in and working from their new offices next week.

Seeing the revised plan for the exterior of the building, it's not hard to imagine BT broadcasting from the new studio on Monday, Aug 17 as scheduled.

Remaining outside work:
1- Reclad the West façade with the previous the grey tiles (in progress).
2- Install the LED ticker
3- Install the CityTV sign above the Torch and the OMNI and Rogers signs above the Victoria st. entrance
4- Replace the fabric sign on the torch podium with a back illuminated sign
5- Install the sign on the right side of the framed window
6- Miscellaneous smaller signs (for the radio station and above the studio windows on street level)
6- Refinish the ceiling in the streetcar short turn.

That work can completed in a month although not all of it is essential to beginning broadcasts.

It's unclear what's going to happen with the exposed HVAC units. Originally, a false wall following the contours of the round corner and along the north façade was going to be built there but the city document shows what looks to be a corrugated wall with doors leading to access the HVAC's.

I think the simple use change of this building is a major improvement. CityTV and OMNI will be a people magnet, something that has been severely lacking on the East end of the square. Further, the illumination from within the studios and the activity going on will contribute to a more lively and animated building.

The changes made at street level are dramatic however and the overall sea of grey will fall into the background with the new signage and lit windows.

Overall, I think it was an improvement and Rogers will certainly continue improving the building considering they intend this to be the physical presence of their growing brand in television.

Last edited:

Back