News   Jul 15, 2024
 104     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 502     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 606     1 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

From the picture...

It looks like the one wall is being demolished. Any information about when reconstruction will start? When the for lease sign will be removed? :)

I wonder if Torch's peg leg on the north side will host Speaker's Corner. Not user friendly because folks would have to cross Victoria, but it's such a small "room" maybe it could work.

OlympicSpirit_23Oct07.jpg

I wonder if Torch's peg leg on the north side will host Speaker's Corner. Not user friendly because folks would have to cross Victoria, but it's such a small "room" maybe it could work.

Speakers Corner isnt part of the CityTV/Rogers deal.

Its owned by CTVglobemedia and is staying at the MuchMusic store.

I remember when CTV had their own Speakers Corner knock-off, located in several malls across the country. Sometimes Count Floyd's news would have some of the video comments as well.

I'll say it yet again, this is one terrible split-off. CTV keeps most of the things that made Citytv Citytv.

I remember when CTV had their own Speakers Corner knock-off, located in several malls across the country. Sometimes Count Floyd's news would have some of the video comments as well.

I'll say it yet again, this is one terrible split-off. CTV keeps most of the things that made Citytv Citytv.

I think CityTV will be able to reinvent themselves now, while CTV is still just CTV. They may be leaving a nice building, but CityTV managed to find a perfect location. (Not saying Queen West was bad) Dundas Square is going to become the gathering spot in the city, and City is lucky to get in now while its still young.

Another good thing... The CityTV trucks look good at Dundas Square! Maybe they should crash one into Toronto Life Square and then drive it out through one of the backlit ads... instant landmark!

Preview Citytv's New Home
Friday January 11, 2008
CityNews.ca Staff

If there's one thing Citytv has always been associated with, it's Queen St. The little station that could began its life way back in 1972 in cramped quarters at 99 Queen St. E., with studios so open, people off the street often walked into the control room in the middle of a show and started looking around.

Times changed and the station did too, moving to its new digs down the road at 299 Queen St. West in 1987.

Now, we've outgrown that space, too, and found another new home. And it couldn't be a more appropriate venue for a place that has the word 'City' in its name - the very heart of Toronto.

On Thursday, employees got their first look at the new venue, the soon to be former Olympic Spirit building located at 35 Dundas St. E., with a panoramic view of Yonge-Dundas Square. The place was built to commemorate Canada's Olympic squads.

But there's a new team coming in and this one promises to be winners at all the typical TV Olympic events: the last minute CityNews dash, getting a report to air in record time and sometimes at the last minute; the CityLine slalom, making sure that show never goes downhill; and the BT Pentathlon, which requires getting up early every weekday morning, being wide awake at 6am and sprinting to the finish line three hours later, all the while swimming against the conflicting tides of Frank Ferragine and Kevin Frankish.

The big bash was designed to show the staff what the place looks like now. But it won't stay that way for long. Construction and a total makeover are underway to turn the building into a state-of-art high definition broadcast centre that will also house OMNI 1 and 2.

How will it look when it's all done? We'll be the first to show you when we move in by March 2009.

See the video that goes with this story (including a sneak peek inside) here:
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_18503.aspx

Ps. I hope that total makeover extends to the exterior too!

I dunno... It could be argued that the day Znaimer left that place City TV ceased to be City TV.

"Total makeover" sounds good. So far we know that the "torch" tower is being replaced. I wonder what other changes they'll make. I'm hoping that they'll open all those blank walls into windows.

Their version of Speakers Corner was awful. I said it before and I'll say it again - everytime CTV tries to be progressive and current they come across as your parents trying to be cool.

I'm surprised the CRTC let them keep so much. I have no doubt CityTV will come up with a replacement.

Strangely enough, the Speaker's Corner that CityTV was rebuilding before the sale sits boarded up. I have my doubts whether CTV will continue Speaker's Corner.

Back