News   Jul 15, 2024
 349     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 510     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

Any words when CityTV will be moving in?

I'm 99% sure that once CityTv has moved to the new home, their NYE blash will be at Dundas Square instead of NPS. God, talking about copying Time Square, getting more obvioulsy each year, slowly, but getting there....just a matter of time we will be dropping a ball...yuck....

well if their new building is anything like their current building, anywhere can be a studio. The whole CHUMCity building is wired and hooked up so that a camera can feed in anywhere... I'd be incredibly surprised if they didnt' continue that tradition in the new building.

I'm 99% sure that once CityTv has moved to the new home, their NYE blash will be at Dundas Square instead of NPS. God, talking about copying Time Square, getting more obvioulsy each year, slowly, but getting there....just a matter of time we will be dropping a ball...yuck....

I would agree as it looks like the advertising is changing over now as there are Fido (Rogers)commercials and CityTV creative on the video screen...but then again Global is hanging around.

A studio can be as small as a place just big enough for a camera, lights, and an x on the floor for the 'talent' to stand on. They'll have multiple studios in the building, some large and open to the public, others small. I would assume there will be one small studio high up over the square for sweeping background shots of crowds whenever there's a big event going on that they want to televise.

Thank you! That's what I've been trying to say this whole time. A couch or a desk, or even just an X on the floor with a camera is a studio. It's the backdrop of the Square that they're trying to capture.

I hope and expect that they'll remove the opaque walls on the corner of the podium of the torch and replace them with glass so that they'll have even more Dundas Square facing floor space. The windows facing immediately West are of little TV value since they're facing the HNR building. It's the North-West facade of the new building that they'll want to focus on opening up.

I'd rather see the tree-toss off the roof, but I guess that's more of a Much thing.

A studio can be as small as a place just big enough for a camera, lights, and an x on the floor for the 'talent' to stand on. They'll have multiple studios in the building, some large and open to the public, others small. I would assume there will be one small studio high up over the square for sweeping background shots of crowds whenever there's a big event going on that they want to televise.

Sorry...I meant audience space rather than studio.

The audience space would likely be on the ground floor where the Olympic shop used to be. There's plenty of space for that kind of studio there.

I found this (terribly designed) site where you can read how (unjustifiably) optimistic (delusional) PenEquity and the IOC were with the Olympic Spirit Centre.

Check this link which takes you to the prices for signage on the "Torch on the Square".

The audience space would likely be on the ground floor where the Olympic shop used to be. There's plenty of space for that kind of studio there.

There is also a theatre on the lower level of the building. Visitors were led down one flight of stairs first to watch an introductory movie about the Olympics™ before being taken in elevators up to the exhibition floors.

I cannot remember how large that theatre is anymore, but it might make for studio space too. Low ceilings though, if I remember correctly...

^ That's true. It's actually 'hard built' into the building. I don't think it can be removed. As I watched the construction, I realized this.

I would suggest the "bridge" part. It's quite large (enough for an audience) and has the long windows facing the square.

Opening is scheduled for approximately January to March, 2009.
http://www.downtownyonge.com/Development_fact_sheet

CityTV will try to use Dundas Square for a NYE Party, but the main celebration will continue at NPS/City Hall and City will continue to air it.

Back