News   Jul 12, 2024
 869     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 778     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 326     0 

City-TV & OMNI-TV's H.Q. (formerly Torch, Quadrangle)

i don't remember the last time a streetcar when under that overhead bridge. i'm sure they will sound-proof the studios because there will be lots of traffic noise coming from the dundas streetcars and cars as well.

Speakers Corner, the CHUM rendition, is now owned by CTVglobemedia... however, the concept of Speakers Corner isn't exactly owned by anybody, so i'm sure they are saying "Speakers Corner" so the viewer knows what they are talking about... RogersCityTV will probably come up with a new "Speakers Corner"... maybe "Speakers Torch"? "Speakers Cylinder"?

Looking at the above picture, I can't help but wonder how much of a noise problem the streetcars are going to create for the studio(s). It seems like it could be quite a noisy canyon of echoes under that archway for screeeeeching streetcars turning those corners...

Yeah, those tracks are rarely used... so rarely that Rogers' CEO mentioned on BT that the TTC would call them to let them know that they'd be using the tracks.

So that set aside, there won't be any more streetcar noise than there is at the Queen St. location. If anything, Victoria is a much quieter street.

Victoria is an awesome little street, especially down near King. Very Londonish feel to it.

Yeah, those tracks are rarely used... so rarely that Rogers' CEO mentioned on BT that the TTC would call them to let them know that they'd be using the tracks.

So that set aside, there won't be any more streetcar noise than there is at the Queen St. location. If anything, Victoria is a much quieter street.

Unless Rogers owns the TTC I seriously doubt the TTC would have to call and ask for permission to use the by-pass.... besides there is constant service on Dundas which is right there. Being in the action and engaging the street is what makes CityTV great as opposed to the other networks with studios in the burbs. IMO this purchase and opening of Toronto Life Square is the tipping point of something great.

Unless Rogers owns the TTC I seriously doubt the TTC would have to call and ask for permission to use the by-pass.... besides there is constant service on Dundas which is right there. Being in the action and engaging the street is what makes CityTV great as opposed to the other networks with studios in the burbs. IMO this purchase and opening of Toronto Life Square is the tipping point of something great.
i don't think metroman meant that the ttc will have to call for permission, but more like a good will gesture to let them know that they'll be using it during a certain time.

btw, the current location also has a streetcar route right beside it as well, the 501. so i don't think it'll cause to much trouble.

i don't think metroman meant that the ttc will have to call for permission, but more like a good will gesture to let them know that they'll be using it during a certain time.

Thank you smuncky, that is indeed what I meant. The TTC will simply call out of courtesy.

Thank you smuncky, that is indeed what I meant. The TTC will simply call out of courtesy.

Seriously? come on...no disrespect but the these tracks are in case of emergency / re-routing. IMO I do not see anyone picking up the phone, but perhaps there is a whole dept at the TTC that I am unaware of who's job it is to make work...

They finally removed the "for lease" sign. Amen.

All the lights were on the building last night. I wonder if they are moving forward faster with the renos?

interesting.

It was under renovations at the time of the Bell purchase. I think lawyers are still trying to decide who owns the "Speakers Corner" franchise and until that happens, its fate at Queen & John (and/or at Torch) remains in limbo.

It was under renovations at the time of the Bell purchase.

As a current employee of CTVGlobemedia, I can tell you that Bell was never involved with the purchase of CHUM properties.

City is posting the news there now, not Globe. Been a couple of weeks this way.

Back