News   Mar 28, 2024
 949     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 538     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 833     0 

Bookstores (Chapters/Indigo/R-B)

Speaking of Book City, does anyone know why the one at Yonge and Charles bit the dust? I don't think there any warning, I just popped by one day to peruse the clearance tables and found the place gutted.

Speaking of Book City, does anyone know why the one at Yonge and Charles bit the dust? I don't think there any warning, I just popped by one day to peruse the clearance tables and found the place gutted.

That location opened when the store at Yonge & St. Clair closed for the construction of its new home in the Clairmont. The store at Yonge & Charles closed shortly after the St. Clair store's reopening.

Really? I've been going into the Yonge/Charles one for almost seven years, I had no idea it was a temp.

It does seem a bit odd that the fate of the two have been tied together. The Yonge & Charles and Yonge & St. Clair locations aren't so close that they would be cannibalizing each others walk-in traffic, and do people travel a huge distance to go to those stores anyway? I think they could have kept both afloat.

March 28

Book City sign is now installed.
2369543553_b2036068bd_b.jpg

2369543555_3cf8ced414_b.jpg

Anyone know a good place to buy street maps downtown? I am looking for a decent, up-to-date street map of Boston. It seems that Chapters/Indigo has been supplied with absolute garbage for US maps lately - instead of the medicore green Rand McNally maps (relative to MapArt, the Gold Standard), they now stock these crappy blue Champion maps. You know, where the colours are for municipalities, not land use, and the highway ramps are impossible to see. World's Biggest has no Boston maps (but lots of Branson, Missouri - they sure know their market!), the Indigo at Eaton Centre did, but they're not only bad, they're dated 1998! So the Big Dig is not included at all!

What's that place in the basement at the SE corner Adelaide + Toronto? It's been there for eons...

Back