News   Apr 24, 2024
 297     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 360     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 711     1 

Bookstores (Chapters/Indigo/R-B)

How the mighty have fallen. My schoolfriends and I used to read them feverishly when we were pimply 14 year olds, searching for articles on the Moody Blues or the Beach Boys or the Kinks. Oh the arguments we had over whether Pet Sounds or Sgt. Pepper were the best album ever.

^ Neither. The correct answer is Revolver.

Tasty Tidbit:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070904.wfonda04/BNStory/Entertainment/home

"... (Peter Fonda) comes most alive when telling stories about the old days, such as the time he unwittingly wrote a Beatles song with John Lennon and George Harrison – a tale, it turns out, that relates to his 11th-birthday shooting accident. “We were at my place in Benedict Canyon,” Fonda remembers. “And someone had given John and George a dose, which is unacceptable.” A dose? “Acid, LSD,” Fonda continues. “George was wrecked. He kept saying, ‘I'm dying.' I said, ‘I know what it's like to be dead.' Then I told him the story about how I shot myself when I was a little boy. John was looking at me, horrified, and he said, ‘No, no, you're wrong.' Then I heard the song She Said She Said on Revolver. It was all there.” ..."

How the mighty have fallen. My schoolfriends and I used to read them feverishly when we were pimply 14 year olds, searching for articles on the Moody Blues or the Beach Boys or the Kinks. Oh the arguments we had over whether Pet Sounds or Sgt. Pepper were the best album ever.
Yes, how the mighty have fallen. My school/club friends and I used to read them feverishly when we were still somewhat pimply 19 year olds searching for articles on Suede, Pop Will Eat Itself or The Mock Turtles. Oh the arguments we had over whether My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" or Slowdive's "Souvlaki" were the best album ever. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, back in the land of books ... Ben McNally informs me that his store at 366 Bay will likely open officially at the end of the month - though they're actually open now, very quietly, 10-6 Mon-Fri; 11-5 Sat.

Great news about McNally Robinson -- used to love going there during my tour of duty in Winnipeg (not that there was much choice).

I feel someone should mention the departed Lichtman's chain and the Book Cellar in Yorkville, where I used to stock up on science fiction novels during adolescent trips to Toronto in the 70's.

That store on Front Street (I think you are in error regarding the name, Shocker ;) ) is a very good place, although I have sometimes found it difficult to find things there. If this new store on Bay is in the same vein, it will certainly be a good addition to the city.

Many book stores have closed on Queen West over the years now there is a new Book City at 716 Queen West. Photo from March 6 and their new sign is not yet installed.
2320290146_10d64001bf_b.jpg

2320290150_bccedd46d3_b.jpg

Back