501     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 698     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 516     0 

Bookstores (Chapters/Indigo/R-B)

R

RJR123

On CBC News last night (Toronto edition) there was a story about Winners taking over the Chapters on Bloor St. between Avenue Road and Bay St.
Apparently, they will be moving in there by Fall and the fellow merchants on Bloor are none too happy! Not a great fit for the street and its image.

I knew they've been wanting to unload 110 Bloor for a while (since Indigo bought them), but I thought they'd have something more upscale. Maybe even a Saks or something higher class (anything else). Winners is everywhere, and although the College Park store is nice, it doesn't belong in one of North America's glitziest shopping districts. Uggh. Century 21's unique in that it's one store, where Winners is one of 1500 stores North America-wide!

An Apple flagship store would've been great in that space (or part of it)!

I wonder if Starbucks will try to buy their share of the site. It's one of their top performing stores in Eastern Canada, after all... When is Chapters going to begin liquidating? The Indigo isn't as nice as Chapters either. What a disappointment.

I don't know. I don't like Indigo as much because the levels are so strange to get around. And plus, its entrance is on Bay, or through Manulife Centre.

Chapters is pretty big, I wonder if Winners will take the ground floor, second floor, third floor and parts of the concourse level too? Maybe they CAN fit in Apple...

Does anyone remember what was there before Chapters?

I don't know. I don't like Indigo as much because the levels are so strange to get around. And plus, its entrance is on Bay, or through Manulife Centre.

Chapters is pretty big, I wonder if Winners will take the ground floor, second floor, third floor and parts of the concourse level too? Maybe they CAN fit in Apple... Anyone pass by Chapters recently? Does it look like it's closing?

Does anyone remember what was there before Chapters?

Nothing was there before Chapters, i.e. that multi-story interior space was custom-built especially for Chapters...

As far as what is going into the Chapters space (if it is in fact closing), I would think an operation like Restoration Hardware or a new Club Monaco would be a more likely choice. I only mention Club Monaco due to the mention of UofT wanting the Homemakers? Building for a university art centre.

It's already closed? Did they have a selloff? Are there signs saying the next tenant? That's really quick. There were rumors for a long time that the Chapters at Festival Hall was closing too, but I guess having three is much more economically feasible than having four superstores (five if you include World's Biggest Bookstore) downtown.

Sell-off? I doubt it. The announcement of the store closure to last day of operation was very quick. I walked by today, and the books were being removed, probably for redistribution to other Chapters, Coles and Indigo stores. There was no sell-off when Indigo closed at Trinity Mall in Brampton (and the nearby Chapters didn't get any better).

Ahh...the last (or latest) casualty of the Chapters-Indigo merger. Have any new stores been opened recently? The Indigo at Scarborough Town Centre's now a Sportchek, the Chapters at Yonge north of Eglinton's now a Future Shop. I think the one at Hamilton Lime Ridge is a Old Navy now? And now a Winners at 110 Bloor...what a diverse array of stores.

Ahh...the last (or latest) casualty of the Chapters-Indigo merger. Have any new stores been opened recently? The Indigo at Scarborough Town Centre's now a Sportchek, the Chapters at Yonge north of Eglinton's now a Future Shop. I think the one at Hamilton Lime Ridge is a Old Navy now? And now a Winners at 110 Bloor...what a diverse array of stores.

Don't forget re really short-lived Indigos, the Empress Walk location (now Staples). And as goes other short-lived Empress Walk stuff, then there was Tower Records...

The point wasnt that retail is not interesting. Watching American and transnational chains slowly creep into Canadian cities is a very interesting topic to study (at least for me).

The point we were trying to make is that in the end, its just a store and to think that a Virgin Megastore or Chapters is something worth getting excited over is really kind of sad. They are nothing more than transnational corporations who simpley come to make money. Your point about Chapters being a meeting place and library, is not only somewhat true but also further proof of how many people have fallen into the trap of believing that these places are something beyond just beyond a store.

At the end of the day does it really matter where you buy your CD from? Is your CD somehow going to be better, or bring you something more profound because you bought it at Virgin? Are your Khakis going to elevate your image because there is a tiny little label that says they are from Banana Republic? Is your coffee going to taste better because it comes in a trendy cup with that green and white logo?

No.

Corporate retail is not harmful in itself, but when people elevate it to something beyond the simple stores or products they are, then it can be dangerous. Dont be sheep people.

it was always going to be the Chapters on Bloor that would close. Not the Indigo in Manulife. The Indigo at Manulife is considered a flagship Indigo, the design of which was personally overseen by Heather Reisman. There is no way she would ditch that in favour of the Chapters on Bloor. Rent etc had nothing to do with it..it was all the design, the look and the personal investment in the space.

And to be honest, the Indigo goes better with the tony/high-class self-image of Bloor/Yorkville--Chapters always felt too "populist", in the sense that its replacement by Winners feels like poetic justice...

Open a new one in Whitehorse, close one on Bloor Street.
TORONTO (CP) - After finally closing the book on its three-year restructuring, Indigo Books & Music Inc. is fired up for growth and is set to open a slate of new stores over the coming year, CEO Heather Reisman said Wednesday.

"We're in growth mode," Reisman told shareholders during an address at the company's annual meeting in Toronto.

"(There's) lots in the pipeline in the growth side of the business."

Canada's largest bookstore operator will add three new Indigo superstores in Ottawa, Windsor and Montreal to its portfolio, along with new smaller-format Coles boutiques in Toronto and Uxbridge, Ont., and Whitehorse.

The new store openings will mark the first chapter of expansion for Indigo since its mega-merger with rival Chapters in 2001. At that time, the company was required to divest certain holdings in order to win regulatory approval from the federal Competition Bureau.

Subsequently, the book store chain has re-engineered its supply system while expanding sales of gifts and lifestyle products with the aim of transforming its shops into "cultural department stores."

"Last year market a major transition for Indigo," said chief financial officer Jim McGill. "The good news is the platform is stablized."

Late last month, Indigo said it turned the page with a solid jump in sales and improved efficiency which helped trim its losses by 26 per cent in the first-quarter of fiscal 2006.

Its net loss for the period ended July 2 totalled $8.1 million or 34 cents a share compared with a loss of just under $11 million or 46 cents a share for the same period last year.

Quarterly sales rose to $164.2 million from $155.9 million, a gain of 5.3 per cent. Those results did not include sales of the sixth instalment of J.K. Rowling's wildly popular Harry Potter franchise, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, executives said. Following its summer release, the company booked sales of 250,000 units per day.

Looking forward, Reisman said executives are thumbing through a catalogue of growth initiatives for both its store-based and online segments. Among them is an expansion of its "bibliotherapy" book line which includes doctor-recommended picks on a wide array of health issues.

"Bibliotherapy has become a very hot topic in the medical world," Reisman said. "We see this as an area for great growth."

She conceded, however, the industry remains in transition with traditional book retailers forced to contend with the impact of digitization, the Internet and new entertainment technology. For its part, Indigo has introduced a small range of digital products, including the faddy iPod MP3 player by Apple.

"We have to be aware of what opportunities are created by that," Reisman said, but declined to elaborate when pressed. "We're in a highly competitive industry."

The Toronto-based company controlled by Toronto power couple Reisman and her husband Gerry Schwartz, chairman of Onex Corp., operates bookstores in all provinces under the names Indigo Books Music & more, Chapters, The World's Biggest Bookstore and Coles.

The company, which had 6,300 employees at the end of its 2004 fiscal year, also operates Chapters.indigo.ca, an online retailer of books, gifts, music, videos, and DVDs.

Its shares (TSX:IDG - news) fell 20 cents to $8.05 on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Back