News   Aug 08, 2024
 30     0 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Aug 07, 2024
 957     0 

2022/24 Russian-Ukrainian War

Not to sound insensitive but the timing of this is both good and bad.

I am in the planning stages of visiting Hungary in June 2023 and with this recent escalation I am starting to have reservations about the idea. Hungary borders Ukraine and if somehow this blows up (no pun intended) I could be vacationing in the middle of a war zone.

The saving grace is that Hungary is both a member of NATO and the EU. Russia would not dare invade however there may be side effects if NATO gets involved.

Putin lied. It's general mobilization. They've even started restricting young men from leaving the country.

This truly escalates things. If Putin puts 2 million troops in Ukraine (which is the full size of their reserve forces) that would likely lead to a NATO response.

I am not saying they would put that many troops there but after a certain number of soldiers are mustered NATO is faced with a choice. Respond or be overwhelmed.

I am in the planning stages of visiting Hungary in June 2023 and with this recent escalation I am starting to have reservations about the idea. Hungary borders Ukraine and if somehow this blows up (no pun intended) I could be vacationing in the middle of a war zone.

The saving grace is that Hungary is both a member of NATO and the EU. Russia would not dare invade however there may be side effects if NATO gets involved.

I wouldn't worry too much at this point.

If Putin puts 2 million troops in Ukraine (which is the full size of their reserve forces) that would likely lead to a NATO response.

If he attempts to draft 2 million, he'll be hanging from a lamp post much sooner. I'll be surprised if he can actually mobilize the 300k mentioned.

When we say there's general mobilization what we mean is that they aren't being as selective as Putin pledged. It's not about the number.

Russia has lost much of its functioning equipment or inadvertently donated it to Ukraine. And sanctions have severely limited its ability to build more. What are they doing to arm the new conscripts with, slingshots?

War is extremely unpredictable. It is hard, if not impossible, to predict where things will be in a week, nevermind in almost a year's time. That being said, if the conflict should spill over into NATO territory I suspect we all may have graver concerns than inability to vacation.

It is in no one's interest to risk the conflict devolving the conflict to nuclear use however so I don't think the chances of such a thing occuring are very good. And provided they don't, you'll be fine. I planned, in April, a trip to Slovakia in June, and besides the higher concentration of Ukrainian flags about you would have no idea that there was anything sordid going on further east. Keeping also in mind the fighting has been restricted to the eastern territories since April. Subcarpathia has been largely free of the horrors of war thus far.

If he attempts to draft 2 million, he'll be hanging from a lamp post much sooner. I'll be surprised if he can actually mobilize the 300k mentioned.

When we say there's general mobilization what we mean is that they aren't being as selective as Putin pledged. It's not about the number.

Remember the good old Soviet quota system - it's going to work just as well here.

AoD

Russia has lost much of its functioning equipment or inadvertently donated it to Ukraine. And sanctions have severely limited its ability to build more. What are they doing to arm the new conscripts with, slingshots?

Human wave attacks? I don't think they have swooped to North Korea low - the population is cynical for that.

AoD

Back