News   Sep 03, 2024
 411     1 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 664     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 1.5K     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

There's a massively disproportionate disconnect. But there's a massively disproportionate advantage for the status-quo as well. By hyping how 'omnipotent' Ford is, I see the Mussolini factor coming into play.

With the election being Ford's Ethiopia: a "me too" that turns into a joke yet culminates in victory. Great.

When was the last time we had a campaign promise with a truly measurable and audited plan?

When McGuinty said no tax increases, surely he had a plan? But we still got the health levy.

Campaign promises (especially from those in power like Wynne and thus with insider knowledge) without an independent auditor’s verification of a plan are just bunk.

I'm just saying......believing all sorts of voodoo can get people in trouble.

Maybe because the Liberals and NDP when in power have done nothing for Northern Ontario other than putting some public sector offices in North Bay and the like, and ON tax credits to those living on reservations, and other programs that do little for those not employed by the province.

Now they're repeating broken promise from 2014, and 2011.

Ontario Liberals promise $1-billion for Ring of Fire
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...e-1-billion-for-ring-of-fire/article18835742/

Liberal budget ignores Ring of Fire, says MPP Mantha
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/rof-ignored-in-budget-1.4095005

Meanwhile the Liberals have done nothing to bring investment to the ring of fire and have dramatically increased hydro rates. What's the risk of voting PC? Less investment, higher hydro rates?

PinkLucy is correct in a later post that nobody has done much of anything for the north. Hydro rates are higher for everybody but the distribution costs hit rural/remote areas much harder. In many areas of the north, it is also the availability of power sufficient to support resource industries. There are concerns that some mining projects might not be able to go into development due to a lack of capacity.

The typically resource-based economy has been hit hard in the last several years. Much is the result of forces beyond provincial control, such as the collapse of the pulp industry, and it is difficult to grow that type of economy when either the 'inputs' are costly to find or bring on line, or the market simply isn't there. But the sentiment is that the government hasn't been there for the area in many aspects. The government did move some ministry offices to area cities, but no more than other communities in the south. It could be argued that this was offset by the closure of many, many field offices in the smaller communities that had a significant local negative impact.

Noront mining is supposed to select their site for a refinery mill this year and then it will be telling to see what government support comes available. A sticking point is electricity rates. Not so much of an issue for their initial development which will be platinum-nickle-copper but a much larger issue when the farther ferrochrome site gets developed, which will be very energy intensive. Noront has said if they don't get a favourable deal the ore may go elsewhere. Offshore might be a stretch but it could go to norther Quebec just as easily as anywhere in Ontario.

I think you guys want to think there is some hidden civil war going on the PC party but the issue is that they seem rather united because they are driven by a sole purpose, kick Wynne out.

Of course, if they fail, it will be knives out and blood in that party.

PinkLucy is correct in a later post that nobody has done much of anything for the north. Hydro rates are higher for everybody but the distribution costs hit rural/remote areas much harder. In many areas of the north, it is also the availability of power sufficient to support resource industries. There are concerns that some mining projects might not be able to go into development due to a lack of capacity.

The typically resource-based economy has been hit hard in the last several years. Much is the result of forces beyond provincial control, such as the collapse of the pulp industry, and it is difficult to grow that type of economy when either the 'inputs' are costly to find or bring on line, or the market simply isn't there. But the sentiment is that the government hasn't been there for the area in many aspects. The government did move some ministry offices to area cities, but no more than other communities in the south. It could be argued that this was offset by the closure of many, many field offices in the smaller communities that had a significant local negative impact.

Noront mining is supposed to select their site for a refinery mill this year and then it will be telling to see what government support comes available. A sticking point is electricity rates. Not so much of an issue for their initial development which will be platinum-nickle-copper but a much larger issue when the farther ferrochrome site gets developed, which will be very energy intensive. Noront has said if they don't get a favourable deal the ore may go elsewhere. Offshore might be a stretch but it could go to norther Quebec just as easily as anywhere in Ontario.

I'm often concerned by the 'investment' of government in Natural Resource extraction.

If its economically viable and profitable to extract the resource, then why is government support required?

But no roads or rail lines I hear someone shout..............AND? If the government expends 1B to allow a private company to extract 5B worth of 'stuff'; then collects a
5% royalty.....or 250M, the government, meaning all of us, is out 750M.

The notion that investment is good, no matter the amount of public investment required to make it happen (ignoring, for them moment, an environmental concerns), is bizarre to me.

I like 'stainless steel' as much as the next person, but if every faucet needs to cost an extra $20 to extract the minerals required, so be it; if that causes companies to consider alternative materials, that's ok too.

But I'd rather not subsidize the extraction, anymore than I wish to subsidize a new fast food franchise. By all means, let folks set up businesses to make a profit; but don't extract my money in order to lower your costs, so that you can make one.

I get the argument that people in the north need gainful employment and quality of life.

IF there is economic merit to the resource extraction business, then things can go on as they are; just w/o public subsidy.

Leave government to make sure the north has good hospitals and schools etc.

Alternatively, if the existing model is not sustainable, I'm all in favour of helping people who are financially challenged w/moving.

OR

Helping northern Ontario obtain success by adopting a more southern model, w/larger, more complex urban centres, and fewer small towns.

That might be a good use of public dollars.

But subsidizing resource extraction just does not work for me as a model.

You need to stop with the “you guys”. Individuals who post here have their own opinions. We don’t all think the same.

As for the PCs, yes they want to win, but that doesn’t mean it’s a love fest within their ranks.

and the liberals are demoralized

Alternatively, if the existing model is not sustainable, I'm all in favour of helping people who are financially challenged w/moving.
One of the issues driving Toronto’s rental and property prices to “unaffordable” levels is increasing demand vs. supply. The last thing you want is to depopulate the North and being everyone down to the GTA.

One of the issues driving Toronto’s rental and property prices to “unaffordable” levels is increasing demand vs. supply. The last thing you want is to depopulate the North and being everyone down to the GTA.

There are lots of options other than the GTA.

Its a matter of discerning where the opportunity is, and connecting those in search of opportunity to it.

Investing in 5 cities in the north (just to pick a number) and consolidating people in those 'hubs', to an extent where they can grow other industries and gain economies of scale might be an alternative, just as an example.

and the liberals are demoralized
History 101 the liberals were supposed to lose the last election and then ended up with a majority. Trump according to polls was supposed to lose and is now the current president. All anyone really knows is how they are going to vote. Unless of course you own a delorean in which case could you go back in time and leak the Rob Ford drug tape before the election.

Small Northern towns already lose much of their youth population. Kids go to school and many don’t come back.

Less than a week and a half into the Ford leadership; and already, the Liberals *feel* like they're in a Smitherman-esque disarray, not knowing how to handle the new reality. (Whether the NDP's in a state of Joe Pants irrelevance: too early to tell.)

Prove me wrong. Over the next two and a half months, prove me wrong.

History 101 the liberals were supposed to lose the last election and then ended up with a majority. Trump according to polls was supposed to lose and is now the current president. All anyone really knows is how they are going to vote. Unless of course you own a delorean in which case could you go back in time and leak the Rob Ford drug tape before the election.

Crack tape or not I think he would have beaten the Useless Smitherman lol

This time seems different, it seems people are almost embarrassed to openly say they like Wynne or are going to vote for her these days.

I think some here have the expectation that Ford will implode over the election but based on the Toronto election, he does well during elections.

History 101 the liberals were supposed to lose the last election and then ended up with a majority. Trump according to polls was supposed to lose and is now the current president. All anyone really knows is how they are going to vote.

This time might be different though.

In those previous elections they never really were that far behind.

Back