News   Sep 03, 2024
 272     1 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 458     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 1.1K     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I think he is but not 1.1 billion dollar gas plant level corrupt ^ XD

I think the liberals have to be nuked so they can get some humility and get a much better leader in the future and I would be more than certain to vote for them.

Its just time for a change, and frankly Wynne should not have run again. I think Liberals would have had a much better chance.

Online polls are fake news, yes, but my point was not that Wynne is popular. She is very unpopular and winning another majority is extremely unlikely, if not impossible. My point was that these polls showing Ford way out ahead despite his considerable negatives are questionable, not least when they're released as online push surveys with the involvement of the likes of Kouvalis.

Emphasis on "way out ahead" as opposed to just plain "ahead".

However, it's also possible that such polls *do* foresee what's happening, i.e. voters being *more*, not less, drawn into the Ford simplistic-solution message, in part because it's so economically novel in terms of provincial politics--beyond even the Common Sense Revolution, which'd look like Davis/Robarts-era generosity by comparison.

Look at it this way (and reflecting on something I did today): voting for the Ford Tories as opposed to the Wynne Liberals as being like spending a couple of bucks for a Dollarama-brand vaporizing cold rub, rather than however much more for Vicks or even Life Brand at Shoppers Drug Mart, the way we once might have...

I have never defended the Ontario liberals. You default to that argument, but I don't see much defence of them at all. Just because some of us wouldn't trust Doug Ford with a plug nickel doesn't mean that we like Kathleen Wynne.

There is nothing wrong with that :) I just want to see Wynne lose I could care if the green party wins right now lol.

How is canceling a fully funded transit plan worth billions for votes any different?

I think the liberals have to be nuked so they can get some humility and get a much better leader in the future and I would be more than certain to vote for them.

Its just time for a change, and frankly Wynne should not have run again. I think Liberals would have had a much better chance.

@Jasmine18 :
A lot of people who dislike Ford are people who would never Vote Tory anyway, so his most hardcore haters would never support Ford.
He lost the popular vote in his own party.
[...]
One of the interesting wrinkles in the Ontario Progressive Conservative Party’s Decision Day That Would Not End was the disclosure that on the last ballot of the leadership contest, Christine Elliott got more individual votes than Doug Ford and also led in more provincial ridings than he did. Despite this, she lost the race under the weighted counting system being used to pick a leader, which assigned a maximum of 100 points to each riding, distributed those points proportionally, and added up the total for the whole province.
[...]
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/col...lites-using-math-to-explain-how-doug-ford-won

Last edited:
This is brutal.

Stephen Hawking dies last week. This week, it's the last male northern white rhino. Actually interesting and worthy beings. These politicos don't hold a candle next to these particular now-extinguished lights.

That's right, a dead rhino is more important to me than the cynical politicians we have taking up valuable air (space) around town.

After the election, I'll still have a job.The Reds will still be playing at BMO Field. The beaches and lakes will still be there as will tea. Psilocybin and drinking wine in a park will still be illegal (ffs, why?!...I'm asking all the candidates). Public transit will still be inadequate. Regardless of who wins. That's all I directly care about. Everything else is extra and only interests me insofar as I care about a fair society. Nothing reasonable, good, and sustainable will come out of this election regardless of outcome so my interests in a fair society can be discarded now, at least until a time when it becomes a bit more realistic to hope for reason and sense in our socio-political sphere.

Vote buyers here. Populist windbag there. Neither of which knows what a sustainable fiscal situation looks like. What's the point exactly?

There, @Jasmine18, I've disparaged yon Liberals (note the capital 'L'!) in tandem with yon PCs and have gone ahead and ignored yon NDP because they just ply the same trade as the other two.

Hope that clears it up.

His time in office at City Hall would indicate otherwise.

Ford is a proud Trump supporter. He has, on numerous occasions, simply made things up. He defended his brother and his lies too.

If it's time for a change, then Howarth is in the running too.

Back