News   Sep 03, 2024
 160     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 900     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 521     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I have to agree. I really don't like the name calling, by either side. And it's not just Trump voters and Fox news sections, it's all over all of the comments sections these days unfortunately.

Can we stop with the portmanteu? It makes me think of Trump voters and Fox News comments sections.

What are you trying to convey by using Stun and Pest? Are you suggesting their readers are deplorables?

What's next, are we to start using libtard here at UT?
And how about the Mop and Pail? Been used since the newspaper was born from the union of the two. Pardon my using the terms that writers for all the newspapers use. I will refrain from using the insiders' jargon. I jam and cavort with many, even after all of these years. There's still the battle of the bands from all four each year. The names they use for themselves are far more 'provocative' than what I'd post here.

Mop and Pail Headine Sparks Outrage Over “Sanitized News” Reporting
The Globe and Mailnewspaper, colloquially and ungraciously referred as the Mop and Pail, has an agenda and that agenda is NOT to report the news. It's to ensure a certain group of people are viewed favourably no matter how heinous their crimes.

Read the complete article at: http://christopherdiarmani.com/1215...dine-sparks-outrage-sanitized-news-reporting/
Christopher di Armani.com - One man's thoughts on life, liberty, freedom of speech, self-defence, gun control, thought control, human rights and the justice system.

Not having seen the poll itself, I wonder how people were asked about their priorities, i.e., a write-in response, a random list, an alphabetized list, etc? In long lists, people tend to pick the top choices rather than reading through the entire list and ranking it. Or a partial list where you can write in another priority that isn't listed and where people tend to choose what is already listed rather than adding in another choice of their own. So much is about methodology.

I looked at their methodology page.

It doesn't show order or options given to panelists.

What it did show is that while Pharmacare and Min. wage did rank lower on the the list, they were not at the bottom, as headlined. That 'bottom' is the result of 'analysis' by Campaign Research.

They in fact ranked 11 and 12 on a list of 14 shown.

Worth noting is that improving the healthcare system ranked #3, above cutting taxes.

Making Life more Affordable
actually ranked #1, Equal Opportunity for all Ontarians ranked #6, and Affordable Housing #7.

The problem with many of these is obvious. What do they mean for policy? Is the equal opportunity supporter talking about the need to fight poverty, or their desire to end some perceived form of 'affirmative action'?

What is 'improving healthcare' anyway? Is it merely reduced wait times? Or does that include adding new coverages? What if the latter, results in the former?

What is making life more affordable? Is it a reduced hydro bill, a lower tax burden, or is it more cash in the pocket of low-income retirees or parents, or more affordable daycare?

Not crazy about the quality of information this produces.

Folks we got to find efficiencies, stop the gravy train, build subways,subways,subways, and elect the best last name in politics, whom are not career politicians but people for the tax payers. Free hamburgers and twenty dollar bills at ford fest.
I find the term "elites" truly upsetting. I'll have to ask the chauffeur to drive another way to the castle.

I will not, thank you.

That's your source? Guy sounds like a wingnut https://christopherdiarmani.com/about-christopher-di-armani/
"Read the complete article" was a robot cue, done by many publications. Translation: "Article continues here:"

"My source"? I was merely posting an example of newspaper names being formed into nick-names. No offence to Nick.

Here's another of many references on-line:
The best nickname I heard for the Globe was “the Mop and Pail”. Grew up reading it and read it every day for decades until the editorial board backed Harper in the 2011 election after he'd been found in contempt of Parliament. That crossed a line for me.
https://kelleyteahen.wordpress.com/2017/05/03/canada150-out-front-with-the-globe-and-mail/

Last edited:
I looked at their methodology page.

It doesn't show order or options given to panelists.

What it did show is that while Pharmacare and Min. wage did rank lower on the the list, they were not at the bottom, as headlined. That 'bottom' is the result of 'analysis' by Campaign Research.

They in fact ranked 11 and 12 on a list of 14 shown.

Worth noting is that improving the healthcare system ranked #3, above cutting taxes.

Making Life more Affordable
actually ranked #1, Equal Opportunity for all Ontarians ranked #6, and Affordable Housing #7.

The problem with many of these is obvious. What do they mean for policy? Is the equal opportunity supporter talking about the need to fight poverty, or their desire to end some perceived form of 'affirmative action'?

What is 'improving healthcare' anyway? Is it merely reduced wait times? Or does that include adding new coverages? What if the latter, results in the former?

What is making life more affordable? Is it a reduced hydro bill, a lower tax burden, or is it more cash in the pocket of low-income retirees or parents, or more affordable daycare?

Not crazy about the quality of information this produces.
And it's far from being just this source. Polling used to be a respectable and pseudo-scientific analysis of truth as expressed by opinion. Bit like Economics, (The "dismal science") it defies pure logic, but characteristics can be defined and predicted....lol...nineteen times out of twenty, when the Moon moves into the first phase and both fingers are crossed behind your back.

What it's become though is something wholly different. And that's the nub of the Cambridge Analytics story. At some point, that will crystallize back to the likes of Leger Marketing et al.

Btw: Thanks for doing the examination on that. What people took away from the headline is *exactly* the crux of the disinformation being promulgated at an exponential rate that the "marketers" are doing, using the media as the platform.

CamAnalytics' Nix used the term "inject" as per 'virus' in his spiel caught by Channel 4. It then reproduces at a geometric rate unchecked via Facebook and the like.

Addendum:
Whistleblower Sandy Parakilas is giving evidence to MPs - watch live

Last edited:
And how about the Mop and Pail? Been used since the newspaper was born from the union of the two. Pardon my using the terms that writers for all the newspapers use. I will refrain from using the insiders' jargon. I jam and cavort with many, even after all of these years. There's still the battle of the bands from all four each year. The names they use for themselves are far more 'provocative' than what I'd post here.
Yes, this has gone on for years in many businesses. Toilet and Douche, anyone?

Personally, I am more offended by references to individuals, e.g., Justdim, Trudope, Fraud and so on. For me, it turns what I had hoped was intelligent conversation into juvenile name calling. Snowflakes (used by all sides because few know what it means), libtards, deplorables; I find it all brings the level of discourse down to nothing but a name-calling competition.

Yes, this has gone on for years in many businesses. Toilet and Douche, anyone?

Personally, I am more offended by references to individuals, e.g., Justdim, Trudope, Fraud and so on. For me, it turns what I had hoped was intelligent conversation into juvenile name calling. Snowflakes (used by all sides because few know what it means), libtards, deplorables; I find it all brings the level of discourse down to nothing but a name-calling competition.

These names were cute the first time one used it - it just becomes tiresome to see it used without prejudice on and on - it makes for unreadable BS.

Add SJW to the list. Mind you, we're told it isn't pejorative.

AoD

Add SJW to the list.
Holy Moly...whoops, I guess being religious, that's on the list too. I thought for years that SJW was an annual concert in the US Southwest...

Grauniad...whoops, Guardian has an unofficial transcript of the UK's Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee session:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...idence-to-mps-on-cambridge-analytica-row-live

Some amazing views were offered, not least a recurring point that (my gist) "It's not just Facebook, it's pandemic". Technical quality was very poor from the US end of the broadcast, since coverage (quite possibly for propriety reasons) was only high-quality at the UK end, and the Skype-like feed from the US one was caught by camera on the laptop screen. Audio quality also poor due to the undamped acoustics from the US end.

This sets a bar for the Cdn Parliamentary Cmte to do same, albeit hopefully of a higher technical quality to allow easier viewing and intelligibility. As a Brit Dual, even I find some of the regional accents to be barely understandable. Some of the Cmte members' questions were excellent, and very non-partisan. The chair especially was very adept on the subject, knowing to put some points as questions rather than statements. Parakilas was very forthcoming when approached that way. The man impresses me. You're going to be seeing a lot of him on US current affairs shows.

One important point asked, and I'll see if I can find it in the transcript, was about (my gist) "Other nation's digital information being stored in the US: Is there any regulatory regime to oversee that?". The effective answer from Parakilas was "no". This is a contentious point in the US right now, with lax oversight, let alone the agency responsible. In Canada, we not only have an agency, but one that *behind the scenes* is well-equipped and staffed. Their punching weight in Parliament is almost non-existent, however, platitudes of "everything's alright" besides. That parliamentary reaction is about to change abruptly, willing or not. Even the NatPost is on this, albeit the Globe is leading it.

Persons like Parakilas are doing this out of altruism. I find something very unsettling about Wylie. He's as evasive as he is telling. He still has a lot more to divulge, but it might take sworn oath to get it out of him. That would be for his protection legally as well as getting more of the facts.

Others will now start stepping up. As to the proliferation of companies using techniques like Cambridge Analytica has, in a general answer, Parakilas answered..."In the tens of thousands".

Whoa...if that answer is proven roughly correct, guaranteed that the Globe is digging on some of the marketing companies named in this string.

Last edited:
I think a slim majority of Ontarians oppose more socially conservative platform issues like reopening the sex-ed debate, but I don't think it will be the issue that gets voters to the ballot box.

Much like the election south of the border, identity politics wedge issues don't turn votes when people perceive (rightly or wrongly) that their bills are going up, their cost of living is increasing, and their children are encountering a precarious job market.

I think there is considerable economic anxiety that makes it difficult to be an incumbent, particularly at a provincial/state or federal level. Add in Liberal Party fatigue (four terms - longer than the Rae years and Common Sense Revolution combined) and an endless list of scandals, I don't even think that the Ontario Progressive Conservatives can mess this election up.

I'm anticipating a massive 80+ PC seat majority, with the Liberals down to as few as 15 seats, mostly in wealthier urban ridings in Toronto, Ottawa and a few university towns.

I'm anticipating a massive 80+ PC seat majority, with the Liberals down to as few as 15 seats, mostly in wealthier urban ridings in Toronto, Ottawa and a few university towns.

I'm still cautiously skeptical about that degree of "massive". And when the prime landslide pollsters to date have been Team Ciano/Kouvalis and Team Quito Maggi, there's reason to do so.

I think a slim majority of Ontarians oppose more socially conservative platform issues like reopening the sex-ed debate, but I don't think it will be the issue that gets voters to the ballot box.

Much like the election south of the border, identity politics wedge issues don't turn votes when people perceive (rightly or wrongly) that their bills are going up, their cost of living is increasing, and their children are encountering a precarious job market.

I think there is considerable economic anxiety that makes it difficult to be an incumbent, particularly at a provincial/state or federal level. Add in Liberal Party fatigue (four terms - longer than the Rae years and Common Sense Revolution combined) and an endless list of scandals, I don't even think that the Ontario Progressive Conservatives can mess this election up.

A sign of things to come? ...

PC%20voting_1_zpsgyvdjivx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Doug Ford's blue-collar populism seems to be playing well in traditionally NDP safe ridings.

Back