News   Sep 03, 2024
 545     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 452     0 
News   Sep 03, 2024
 441     1 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

Put yourself in the shoes of an investor. Particularly one not trading in commodities or real estate. The government is now going to tax money that's just sitting in a bank account. How would you react?

How's this for an answer?

I am an investor.

Not in real estate or in commodities (as a direct play)

Its not my day job.

But yes, real money, and not just in ETFs.

I still support the principle without difficulty.

I have deep problems w/the ethics of people who feel that if they have more money than others they need not contribute more.

Of course there are limits.

Just as I don't support taxing the 1st dollar of earned income, nor do I advocate taxing the 1st dollar of base capital.

Nor the first hundred, or thousand or ten thousand etc.

But yes, at some point, everyone should acknowledge when they have an unreasonable amount of wealth that they have not earned.

If they give it away on their own, awesome.

If not, some portion of it should be taxed.

Why anybody would take the government's word on tax increases being limited indefinitely is beyond me. It's always easier to raise taxes that implement new taxes. Why would the government not increase the rate or increase the scope once the tax in place and if they need revenue?

Today 100 individuals. Tomorrow? 1000 individuals.

And if I was anywhere in the 10 000 to 100 000 individuals behind those top 100, I'd be screaming at my attorneys and accountants to plan avoidance immediately.

This logic results in opposition to every tax, in every form at any rate, because said tax might be increased or expanded.

I can't agree to this logic.

In any event, I feel we're rather straying from the thread topic here.

I apologize for my role in that.

Should we wish to debate mere hypothetical tax structures, a dedicated threat may be in order.

Yeah, so am I, which is why I want to see numbers and a real plan. Talk is cheap, Doug Ford's is cheap AND shit. Enough talk, time for a plan or gtfo. (Not that it matters, people will still vote for him without any sort of plan because "trust me".)

Some days, I don't know why I bother being a humanist. Believing in humanity is like believing in magic spirits anyway.
I'm sure, being a Londoner and all, you watch Ch 4.

Be sure to subscribe and watch the vids that a lot of news-outlets are getting their stories from. The Globe is actually digging deep on the Cdn aspect of all this, nuff said on that for now.

Ch 4, the latest:

Doug Ford's template matches precisely!

Why would Ford Run on a detailed policy plan? All he has to say is I am gonna bring jobs and lower taxes and stop the liberal corruption.

I am certain he can win the election saying Wynne is bad as he has to win 40% of the vote not 50+%.

Tories have lost when they had detailed plans, so frankly from a political point of view Fords path seems like a winning one.

Also contrary to popular opinion here, numbers for Toris have not really gone down for Ford, so the fear of Ford seems much weaker then hatred for Wynne.

Why would Ford Run on a detailed policy plan? All he has to say is I am gonna bring jobs and lower taxes and stop the liberal corruption.

I know, I get it. People don't care to critically examine that which they are being fed. It's too "hard". Gimmicky jingles and a bit of marketing is all it takes to get people to eat up whatever crap you're serving these days.

You know what, this brings me back to the sex-ed curriculum mash up: I'm going to start harrassing my MPP about the lack of a critical thinking curriculum in our education system. I'm sure M. Milczyn won't care for my entreaties as my proposal, if having been implemented years ago, probably would have prevented him from attaining his current position, but it's worth a shot. If I had kids....man, they best be learning how to think or I may as well school them at home and teach them how to be a perfectly good sceptical and jaded citizen!

Perhaps, though I don't see how promises without a plan are more likely to be kept.
When was the last time we had a campaign promise with a truly measurable and audited plan?

When McGuinty said no tax increases, surely he had a plan? But we still got the health levy.

Campaign promises (especially from those in power like Wynne and thus with insider knowledge) without an independent auditor’s verification of a plan are just bunk.

Last edited:
This logic results in opposition to every tax, in every form at any rate, because said tax might be increased or expanded.

No it doesn't. I'm not opposed to taxes. I'm opposed to taxes which drive investment away though.

I'm a huge fan of the Scandinavian model. Can Canadians stand not treating corporations as evil though? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
It will be the simple break some promises, raise some taxes and then pretend to care about the people of Ontario near election time.

its a broken record by the liberals in Ontario.

I am sure why people do not realize having any party in power for decades is not good.

Back