News   Jul 29, 2024
 58     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

OK...then why just "women"? You've already sexualized applicability of the law. Are you inferring that "women" are the weaker sex?

This particular incident was about two women, and this kind of abuse disproportionately affects women. It's not even remotely close. I know it happens to men as well, so if making my comments gender neutral makes you more comfortable, I have no problem with that.

Brenda Elliot has already tossed Brown under the bus. And she probably has a much better chance of winning than Brown ever had. The irony is that the bus will lurch back to the right to hit him to make sure he's finished.

It could even have been her people that planted the accusations. Isn't it just a little interesting that CTV managed to find two accusers at the same time? Speaking of accusations and witch-hunts, CTV is hardly neutral when it comes to political jockeying.
Do you mean Christine Elliott? And you’re making a pretty big leap there.

I know it happens to men as well, so if making my comments gender neutral makes you more comfortable, I have no problem with that.
This is necessary if the debate...and *consequences* are to stand the examination of the law. Also what's being lost by being gender specific, and many of the more noted feminists make this point (it's being argued vehemently within feminist ranks) is the need not to make women be 'coddled' by the law, as ultimately it debases their status. Social, as well as legal.

This is necessary if the debate...and *consequences* are to stand the examination of the law. Also what's being lost by being gender specific, and many of the more noted feminists make this point (it's being argued vehemently within feminist ranks) is the need not to make women be 'coddled' by the law, as ultimately it debases their status. Social, as well as legal.

I am in absolute agreement that the law and social services need to be applied equally to both male and female victims. I don't think anyone here is arguing against that. As far as I see it though, this is similar to the "black lives matter" vs the "all lives matter" debate. Women are singled out in discussions because female victims vastly outnumber male victims. Thanks to centuries/millennia of male dominated society, men also have more leverage to extricate themselves from bad situations without awful consequences.

Thanks to centuries/millennia of male dominated society, men also have more leverage to extricate themselves from bad situations without awful consequences.
Well, this could be argued forever, rich people have more power than poor people...where does that lead the argument? Maybe we should run a Black person to undo all the centuries of mistreatment?

I'd say the strongest contenders to replace Brown are women. There goes your line of reasoning. And one of them, if she plays it right, has the capacity to garner a landslide victory:

Caroline Mulroney. Cue the gender politics now the high heeled shoe is on the other foot...

Reactions: jys
Well, this could be argued forever, rich people have more power than poor people...where does that lead the argument?

I'd say the strongest contenders to replace Brown are women. There goes your line of reasoning. And one of them, if she plays it right, has the capacity to garner a landslide victory:

Caroline Mulroney. Cue the gender politics now the high heeled shoe is on the other foot...

Except that in this case one need to pay attention to the pedigree as well; and exceptions doesn't dismiss generalities.

AoD

Except that in this case one need to pay attention to the pedigree as well; and exceptions doesn't dismiss generalities.

AoD
lol...you exactly make my point. Now start dissing men for voting for her for "her looks". Of course, that wasn't a huge problem when Justin won a large female vote based on that and his acclaimed "Feminism".

Vic Fedeli has put his name forward.

Apparently the person has to be in the caucus because they don't have time to do a convention. Sorry for all you Doug Ford boosters. :)

I hope not to seem condescending or patronizing in saying I really wish people would not personalize differences of opinion, in this thread, or any other.

It is possible to have differences of opinion, both subtle and substantial which can be discussed maturely, and thoughtfully.

I do understand it can be frustrating when you imagine people are ignoring your point, and/or you and another poster are speaking across each other rather than to one another.

But no one is better off if the answer to that is simply more posting of the same, overt exasperation, or a resort to hyperbole.

Communicate with respect; conditionalize your statements where appropriate, assume the best intentions in others unless they prove otherwise, and try very hard to take the 'high road'.

Please and Thank You.

Last edited:
I would like to see Michael Chong put his name forward for leadership, personally.
Even if Chong wouldn't/couldn't win, he would receive a high position in a cabinet led by Mulroney. Mulroney is the one person who could lead the OntCons out of the 'backwoods'....literally in terms of what they have become to stand for.

Ontarians want to vote for someone other than Wynne. Like it or not, that's the zeitgeist of the electorate. Brown wasn't it, nor is Horwath. Or Elliot for that matter. It has to be someone articulate, intelligent, powerful and good looks only add to the package. She's an 'urban' politician, not a 'yokel'. Mulroney fits all of those, in spades, not to mention the power through back-channels available to her.

Will she end-up on the National stage? Most likely. Ontario misses (pun fully intended) that leadership.

Last edited:

Back