News   Jul 29, 2024
 142     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

I think it's too soon to decide how this will impact the election. First we need to see what the PC party will do in terms of their leadership candidate. The negative for the PC party is the short window of time that complicates the process and somewhat discredits the legitimacy of the replacement leader.

How Wynne handles this is also interesting. I suspect she will try to avoid the issue. Amongst a large portion of the population she is viewed as cynical and politically opportunistic already (however fair this is or is not). Given this, attacking Brown could be negative for her and pointless as he is no longer the enemy. In fact, the more the discussion focuses on Brown the less it focuses on the PC Party. Brown was always an outsider of the party so the real message the Liberals will want to focus on is that Brown's conduct is somehow a product of PC party culture.

I'm non-partisan and a contrarian so I'm the last guy to reflect the general mood but I think the majority of people on this forum are strong Liberal or NDP voters so I thought I would add what I think because I will be voting PC for sure (my riding will probably go NDP). This scandal has absolutely no impact on my desire for change of government at Queen's park. The opportunity for someone other than Brown being leader is a relief for me as I thought he was a liability. I was willing to reserve my judgement on his fit for leadership but he seems to not be up to the task. I recall a young Dalton McGuinty was similarly creepy and questionable; however, despite my initial judgement McGuinty managed to be a strong political force (even though I oppose much of his policy direction).

Actually scratch that, maybe I am partisan. I prefer to have Conservative governments at the Provincial level and Liberal governments at the Federal Level.

It will interesting to see what the post-Brown allegation provincial polls look like.

If the PCs remain relatively stable, they'll likely ride it out.

I think Lisa McLeod is their best bet for leader.

I think Lisa McLeod is their best bet for leader.

In 2012, she criticized Dalton McGuinty's Bill 13 legislation as being "unfair" to Catholic separate school boards because it forced them to allow Gay Straight Alliances. She labelled the Liberals as "bullies".​

No thanks

In 2012, she criticized Dalton McGuinty's Bill 13 legislation as being "unfair" to Catholic separate school boards because it forced them to allow Gay Straight Alliances. She labelled the Liberals as "bullies".​

No thanks

I didn't say I'd vote for her :p

Have you ever been a woman who had something happen such as the accusations that we are reading about tonight? You don’t go running to file a complaint and sometimes you go back to work. That has been the problem for years with men in positions of power. For far too long women have kept quiet, fearing the repercussions if they speak out, the shame and not being believed. Fortunately, that is changing.
The term that will come under far more scrutiny is "J'Accuse".

"For far too long women have kept quiet, fearing the repercussions if they speak out, the shame and not being believed. Fortunately, that is changing.". .Where are you going with that? Extra-judicial trials in the media? It's a touchy issue (literally as well as figuratively) and brace for the backlash to this, and the backlash to the backlash.

More and more women are also "coming out" to stand behind the need to handle this the way our legal systems direct. At what point are adult women, as well as men, responsible for their own actions?
One accuser kept working long after and he drove her home after a failed attempt at sex (again her story). Likely true but not seeing much of a case here? The second could have a case if there is a recording, otherwise its he said-she said after a night of excessive drinking by two "adults".
The legal case appears very poor. Time may change that. But if it doesn't, then yet another person has fallen based on "J'Accuse".

The second is, while I know there are political impacts from this, even if those are not fully known as yet; I would ask that everyone refrain from drawing conclusions of 'benefit' at this juncture.
Absolutely. This is just one of many cases being examined.

At what point is the line of justice crossed into one of hysteria? Until we have facts, provable facts, we don't know.

For the same reasons actresses continued to work with Harvey Weinstein and actors with Kevin Spacey.
So an accusation stands as proof in the court of public opinio
I wonder if he's a classic self-hating closet case.
These two comments illustrate exactly the danger of trial by media. You throw stones at someone based on hearsay, then expect stones to be thrown at you too.

J'Accuse Hysterique!

I haven’t met him personally but the creep factor was my first impression of him, and I have spoken with many people over the years who shared that feeling.
The court of public opinion is in session. It's *exactly* because of judging by impressions that Wynne is in trouble. Seems the shoes don't match. Or is it sexist to discuss shoes and impressions?

Back